It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register for free click here
Rebreather World

Go Back   Rebreather World RBW Members General Section Dive Medicine Dive Medicine

Old 26th June 2006, 16:11   #1
Louby Lou
Confectioner to N@90

Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Louby Lou Send a message via MSN to Louby Lou Send a message via Yahoo to Louby Lou Send a message via Skype™ to Louby Lou
Situational Awareness and Diving

Hi Guys and Gals :)

I was wondering if anyone out there knows of any research papers or must reads which particularly address the notion of situational awareness in diving, either CCR, OC, commercial or recreational?

I've had a search on Google and have got some bits and pieces, but nothing really that addresses the cognitive states and processes that are present/ occur whilst we are diving. I've been on the DDRC website for the UK and have been through the DAN abstracts, but alot of the psych reports relating to diving tackle mental health issues and substance abuse etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated if anyone has any ideas, even if it is only remotely connected. You can either post on this thread or if you prefer drop me a PM or email me at auntylooloo at hotmail.com

Cheers in advance :)

Miss Lou

Last edited by Louby Lou; 26th June 2006 at 16:22..
(Offline)

Old 18th September 2006, 16:36   #2
Gene_Hobbs
Resident bibliophile

Megalodon
Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all
Re: Situational Awareness and Diving

Quote: (Originally Posted by Louby Lou) View Original Post

I was wondering if anyone out there knows of any research papers or must reads which particularly address the notion of situational awareness in diving, either CCR, OC, commercial or recreational?

Miss Lou
We do not have permission from the author to add this paper to the Rubicon Research Repository yet but this is available online through DTIC.

SA measurements alone will be hard to find. They are more commonly a small part of bigger studies. The person to ask is Dr. Curley. He is a Human Factors Engineer and has been a part of most of the Navy Studies using SA. There was some VERY nice work done on stress and performance in JIM Suits.

Hope this helps,
G

Accession Number:
ADA322423
Full Text (pdf) Availability:
Size: 4 MB
Handle / proxy Url: http://handle.dtic.mil/100.2/ADA322423
Citation Status:
ACTIVE

Title:

Human Factors in Diving,
Fields and Groups :
060400 - ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY
060500 - MEDICINE AND MEDICAL RESEARCH
230500 - LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEMS

Corporate Author:
CALIFORNIA UNIV BERKELEY
Personal Author(s):
Blumenberg, Michael A.
Report Date:
DEC 1996

Media Count:

84 Pages(s)

Organization Type:

0 - PUBLIC/STATE ACADEMIC EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS

Report Number(s):

XDXD (XDXD)

Monitor Acronym(s):
XD (XD)

Monitor Series:
XD (XD)

Descriptors:
*HUMAN FACTORS ENGINEERING, *LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEMS, *DIVERS, *DIVING, *UNDERWATER, *DIVER EQUIPMENT, STRESSES, ENVIRONMENTS, DEGRADATION, PERFORMANCE(HUMAN), WATER, STRESS(PSYCHOLOGY), STRESS(PHYSIOLOGY), TEAMS(PERSONNEL), SAFETY, ACCIDENTS.
Abstract:
Dive safety is primarily a function of four factors: the environment, equipment, individual diver performance and dive team performance. The water is a harsh and alien environment which can impose severe physical and psychological stress on a diver. The remaining factors must be controlled and coordinated so the diver can overcome the stresses imposed by the underwater environment and work safely. Diving equipment is crucial because it provides life support to the diver, but the majority of dive accidents are caused by individual diver panic and an associated degradation of the individual diverts performance. This paper investigates the factors which influence human performance and behavior, and focuses on divers working underwater. Recommendations are offered on how to improve dive safety through knowledge and awareness of human factors.
Distribution Limitation(s):
01 - APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE
23 - AVAILABILITY: DOCUMENT PARTIALLY ILLEGIBLE
Source Code:

Document Location:

DTIC AND NTIS
Geopolitical Code:

SBI Holding Symbol:

ASM NPS

Distribution Statement:

Availability: Document partially illegible.

Citation Created:

26 MAR 1997

Citation Updated:

16 APR 1997
(Offline)

Old 18th September 2006, 16:56   #3
ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to ScubaDadMiami

Would you please define what you mean by situational awareness? Are you talking about becoming in touch with one's senses? Do you mean things like keeping track of where one is, location and the location of a buddy, etc?

Tom Mount has authored many passages over the years that deal with becoming in touch with one's senses during the dive. Is that what you are thinking of? If that's the case, you will find some of this in the IANTD literature.
(Offline)

Old 18th September 2006, 17:06   #4
Gene_Hobbs
Resident bibliophile

Megalodon
Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Situational_awareness
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_factors

Enjoy!
G
(Offline)

Old 18th September 2006, 19:12   #5
Joe
RBW Member

Megaladon
Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light

Hey Gene, Miss Lou:

I don't know about any research papers but experience has taught me that lack of same is probably the biggest cause of dive accidents. It is amazing how many otherwise competant divers have absolutely no clue about what is happening around them.

Joe

Quote: (Originally Posted by Gene_Hobbs) View Original Post
(Offline)

Old 18th September 2006, 19:15   #6
montyg
Monty Guest

APOCALYPSE #032
Ray, Dolphin, PVR-BASC, IDA-71
montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to montyg Send a message via Yahoo to montyg Send a message via Skype™ to montyg

Peter Steinhoff recently wrote an article for DIR Diving

It looks like the DIRX site is down right now, but the direct link is:

What is Situational Awareness? - Peter Steinhoff - DIR Explorers

If you Google "situational awareness Peter Steinhoff", it's one of the first hits and it's cached there ...

HTH

rgds
monty
(Offline)

Old 18th September 2006, 19:25   #7
Louby Lou
Confectioner to N@90

Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Louby Lou Send a message via MSN to Louby Lou Send a message via Yahoo to Louby Lou Send a message via Skype™ to Louby Lou

Hi :)

Thanks Gene for the info and the abstract its really very much appreciated. I'll have a hunt for the research papers etc that I can find for Dr. Curley and DTIC, they sound just what I've been looking for. Alot of the work that I do at the moment centres around human factors - error and performance, incorporating SA in relation to military pilots and from a personal view I really wanted to take a further look at this in terms of diving.

I've already started to put together a lit. review which is helping me to get some more focus as SA is such a vast area as you say, its very easy loose focus, so hopefully this will help me to determine in which direction I'll take it; for the moment this is building up as a potential thesis for my PhD... fingers crossed :D

Scuba Dad Miami - I second Gene's Wiki links as probably the easiest way to describe SA :p

Monty - thanks for the DIRX link, I've got a link to the article; I think it came out of a thread on SA that went on on DIRX, posted by Claire, which was based on another thread by me asking for some help on the SWM forum, thanks for letting me know though :D

Joe - that's one of the particular reasons I do want to look at SA in diving, but it will be part of a more global study of SA in diving, I want to take on with the line of work that I'm in and incorporate human factors into it too...

Thanks so much for your input guys :D

Cheers

Lou
(Offline)

Old 18th September 2006, 23:30   #8
bendomatic
Morgan's Mum

Classic Kiss
Sport Kiss
bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice

have you tried searching on" human factors diving" on pubmed. Entrez PubMed Not sure of relevancy.
(Offline)

Old 18th September 2006, 23:45   #9
Gene_Hobbs
Resident bibliophile

Megalodon

Quote: (Originally Posted by bendomatic) View Original Post
have you tried searching on" human factors diving" on pubmed. Entrez PubMed Not sure of relevancy.
A better search is "human factors underwater". One of the better "control" papers is knobology underwater. The big problem for most people looking for information is poor indexing. If you start at the right journal you can get to the right keywords. Then tools like PubMed and SPORTDiscus can become more powerful.

Good luck!
G
(Offline)