It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register for free click here
Rebreather World

Go Back   Rebreather World Rebreatherworld Video & Photography Department Pro Video Productions

Old 13th March 2013, 17:45   #1
fishb0y
RBW Member

rEvo III hCCR
Drager Dolphin
fishb0y is an unknown quantity at this point
Atomic Armada-Bikini Atoll

PLEASE HELP!
On July 25, 1946 the U.S. detonated the Baker atomic bomb, a 23-kiloton underwater blast, at Bikini Atoll in the Marshall Islands in the Pacific. 96 vessels (surface and submarine) were anchored in the atoll to test the effects of the atomic explosion. Many are of historic significance. Nine of the vessels sank shortly thereafter and many more were scuttled when they proved too difficult to decontaminate. They are still there today, rusting away all too quickly 200’ down in the warm Pacific waters. None have been adequately documented and soon it will be too late.
We’ve launched a Kickstarter crowdfunding project to document these vessels, which include the USS Saratoga, the HIJMS Nagato (Admiral Yamamoto’s flagship during Pearl Harbor), and the Prinz Eugen (which assisted the Bismarck in sinking the Hood in 1941). We plan on producing a documentary about these historic vessels with the completed footage, to be released in late 2014. All $25 contributors to the Kickstarter project will receive a copy of the completed documentary, with greater rewards for higher funding levels. Please consider funding this great project to record the current state and place in history of these majestic vessels, and please tell all of your friends about it too! The more people who know the greater the chance of getting funded.
The Kickstarter funding project will end in mid April, 2013 so please don’t delay! Thank you.

The Kickstarter page: The Atomic Armada - The Forgotten Wrecks of Bikini Atoll by Adrian Smith — Kickstarter
(Offline)

Old 16th March 2013, 18:15   #2
Diveratt
RBW Member

Poseidon mk6
Diveratt is on a distinguished road Diveratt is on a distinguished road
Re: Atomic Armada-Bikini Atoll

+1 Its going to be 2015 before I can even think about going
(Offline)

Old 16th March 2013, 18:22   #3
Mark Struckoff
RBW Member

Mark Struckoff is an unknown quantity at this point

What are you planning to do that has not already been done by others? In other words - Why should we pay for your dive?
(Offline)

Old 16th March 2013, 21:02   #4
qazwsx
RBW Member

qazwsx has a spectacular aura about qazwsx has a spectacular aura about qazwsx has a spectacular aura about qazwsx has a spectacular aura about qazwsx has a spectacular aura about

Probably your best source of funds will be sponsership by manufacturers. I bet Deep Life or Open Safety would be happy to help. They have similar buisness plans as you, so it should be a good fit.
(Offline)

Old 16th March 2013, 21:20   #5
broncobowsher
RBW Member

TBD
broncobowsher is an unknown quantity at this point

So $25 buys me a copy of your vacation?
(Offline)

Old 16th March 2013, 21:59   #6
kwinter
Down to no good

rEvo III, Flex
Optima, GEM
kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute

Well worth the fund drive. Maybe I'll go. I could use a new rebreather. Please contribute a lot so I can outfit myself.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Dsix36) View Original Post
Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.
(Offline)

Old 16th March 2013, 22:33   #7
Packhorse
RBW Member

rEvoIII mini hCCR
RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR
Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light

Quote: (Originally Posted by Mark Struckoff) View Original Post
What are you planning to do that has not already been done by others? In other words - Why should we pay for your dive?
Not just the dive but the rEvo and Cuda too!

You have to admit its a great idea. Perhaps I should to it too!
(Offline)

Old 17th March 2013, 00:04   #8
fishb0y
RBW Member

rEvo III hCCR
Drager Dolphin
Atomic Armada-Bikini Atoll

I'm kinda surprised (maybe not really,) on some folks reactions, but it looks like I need to give a little clarification here. I forwarded the press release for one of my dive buddies to help give him some support. Besides wanting the footage of the wrecks, he also has interviews with veterans that were there for both Able and Baker. Yeah, I agree Adrian is asking for a lot, but it is what it is.
(Offline)

Old 17th March 2013, 02:20   #9
jkaterenchuk
RBW Member

HammerMeg
Kiss Classic, Inspiration
jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect some of the issue is with the perception that this is simply someone wanting to get their gear, training and vacation paid by others thru the use of the Kickstarter platform. Maybe it comes off as trying to take advantage.

In reality if the authors motivation is truly to document the wrecks there are many people that have been to the dive sites and I personally know two guys that were dive guides for several years in Bikini and between then have hundreds if not thousands of dives on the wrecks. It would seem that interviewing them, interviewing others and securing footage or pictures could be done to put together a much better documentary then a short duration visit could produce.

After all, many books and documentaries are completed quite successfully without the need for the producer to directly visit or be there themselves. Often the story is better if told thru someone with more direct exposure and experience and certainly that cannot be replaced by a short visit.

Just my opinion stated in a nice a way as I could think to put it.

John
(Online)

Old 17th March 2013, 03:57   #10
fishb0y
RBW Member

rEvo III hCCR
Drager Dolphin

Trust me, I fully understand why people are skeptical with this. Personally I think every rebreather diver needs to feel some of that 'fiscal sacrifice'. But realistically, people will either support his project or not.

With that being said, he is obligated to follow through on the project:
Kickstarter Basics » Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) — Kickstarter
(Offline)