It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register for free click here
Rebreather World

Go Back   Rebreather World Rebreather Models, Design, and Accessories CCR - Closed Circuit Rebreathers

Old 1st February 2013, 11:15   #1
cjs_777
RBW Member

Drager Ray
cjs_777 is an unknown quantity at this point
2013 CCR Buyer's guide

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I know this information can be found all over RBW, but how about we starting putting a yearly Buyer's guide together- like Backscatter has for underwater cameras for instance? I think something like that could be very useful, especially for newcomers like me, looking to enter the world of rebreathers...

So without going into too much detail (or any sand throwing at each other), if you could do it all again and had 11months to save before Christmas:

What would YOU buy and why? :)

Cheers,
Chris
(Offline)

Old 1st February 2013, 11:28   #2
Dsix36
Supporting Member

rEvo
Optima Dolphin
Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2013 CCR Buyer's guide

Any rebreather that does NOT have hammerhead electronics, because they are a POS and unreliable.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

I have recently been told that my post are "useless crap", feel free to ignore me!

Is that politically correct enough for you wimps?

Quote: (Originally Posted by kwinter) View Original Post
I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
Quote: (Originally Posted by kwinter) View Original Post
And note the wisdom from DSix36
MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!
(Online)

Old 1st February 2013, 12:18   #3
CFU
There is always a "maybe"

rEvo Micro FT RMS
Inspiration
CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to CFU
2013 CCR Buyer's guide

I'd buy a rEvo again. It's because it's flexible in terms of different electronics, it gives me that extra plus on safety with 4 or 5 cells plus independent cell monitors. The RMS system is just great! if you mostly travel with your CCR a a lot sorb cost is an issue and the RMS might detect scrubber issues another safety plus! The micro FT is great to travel with as carry on and Paul provides an exceptional and very personal customer service!

Last but not least the rEvo feels great underwater

Basically the reasons why I just recently bought 2 rEvos and would buy them again.

Cheers

Christian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
(Offline)

Old 1st February 2013, 12:38   #4
kwinter
Down to no good

rEvo III, Flex
Optima, GEM
kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute

There are only 2 kinds of rebreathers: those that are outdated and those that are not actually being sold yet. And we've seen what can happen when you save up for the vaporware kind or the latest and greatest innovation. I'd rather be happy with what I've been diving that works and save up for a new drysuit.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Dsix36) View Original Post
Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.
(Offline)

Old 1st February 2013, 12:43   #5
diverreb
Richie Burr

O2ptima FX
diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to diverreb Send a message via Skype™ to diverreb

Anything with Hammerhead Electronics.... One of the top two sets of electronics in the industry. Extremely reliable for the vast majority of users.

Richie

Old 1st February 2013, 15:26   #6
EricD
RBW Member

rEvo III
KISS Classic
EricD is an unknown quantity at this point

Any rebreather that does NOT have hammerhead electronics, because they are a POS and unreliable.
Not exactly a fair assessment. I used a HH secondary and HUD on my KISS Classic and found that using a higher voltage battery, such as an UltraFire, as well as maintaining the battery compartment cap and o-ring with ProGold contact cleaner made the unit very reliable.
(Offline)

Old 1st February 2013, 15:31   #7
DwayneJ
Dark, cold and wet.

rEvo III Mini rMS
rEvo III Standard hCCR
DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light

Resale value can be very telling - Check out the used market resale prices but watch out for ebay as there are some crazy priced units out there. Anything with Shearwater Electronics is a great start.

Last edited by DwayneJ; 1st February 2013 at 15:51..
(Offline)

Old 1st February 2013, 15:55   #8
Garth
The raffle shiest-er

Hammerhead Extreme eCCR
Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice

For this thread I visioned a more comprehensive look at the numerous rebreathers out there. The electronics seem important but it may be more helpful to show which rebreather shines in which environment. I personally wouldn't be the one to provide that though.

I could see it helpful for new people to have for example...

Travel options:
Revo Mini photos/options
Hobo Can for the hammerhead
etc.

Cave environment:
configuration considerations
size width passage restrictions

Recreational considerations:
safety features
checklist length complexity

Electronics:
revisions, decompression, complexity, readability

Boat/Ocean:

Locations:
Available support, training, manufacturer location

I could see new users looking at a either a spread sheet to match up their type of diving to the type of rebreather that best suites it.

Until then it will be researching, asking question to instructors that may or may not be teaching on a unit or a few units that they typically dive.

Sorry for the long post but it would seem like a more effective thread would include the 2013 Instructor Guide... right? pick the instructor that does your type of diving or the diving you wish you could do.
(Offline)

Old 1st February 2013, 16:00   #9
Garth
The raffle shiest-er

Hammerhead Extreme eCCR
Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice

Quote: (Originally Posted by DwayneJ) View Original Post
Resale value can be very telling - Check out the used market resale prices but watch out for ebay as there are some crazy priced units out there. Anything with Shearwater Electronics is a great start.
Haven't seen too many hammerheads on the used market. I love mine so far it has exceeded my expectations. I use the OLED handsets and feel like it was a smooth transition from my predator screen.

In a dark environment this definitely helps for easy monitoring. I look at my handsets a lot more often than most probably.

Decompression in your handsets is another thing to consider. Some like it and others don't. I enjoy the fact that I have a handset that will give me decompression even if I haven't left 10 ft in over a week...
(Offline)

Old 1st February 2013, 16:02   #10
Garth
The raffle shiest-er

Hammerhead Extreme eCCR

Hey Don did you know that they have OLED screens for the people that have trouble reading them?

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

I have recently been told that my post are "useless crap", feel free to ignore me!

Is that politically correct enough for you wimps?
(Offline)