It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register for free click here
Rebreather World

Go Back   Rebreather World Dive Accidents / Incidents Rebreather Accidents / Incidents

Closed Thread

Old 21st July 2011, 15:42   #1
netmage
Tim Owens

netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of
Signal for Catastrophic Situation....?

So I was pondering a situation, where time was of the essence and thinking about how we could better communicate.

In a hyperoxic or hypoxic scenario, a common resolution is to perform a dil flush.....

Can anyone think of a rapid, no-nonsense signal for a team to communicate - "I see something wrong - you need to do a dil-flush now...!" without turning things into a conversation....?
(Offline)

Old 21st July 2011, 15:52   #2
diverreb
Richie Burr

O2ptima FX
diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to diverreb Send a message via Skype™ to diverreb
Re: Signal for Catastrophic Situation....?

The DIVA in the Hammerhead kind of does that for you... When it's vibrating it's telling you to react NOW or face the consequences. The new one also has a warning system facing outward so team members can see possible problems...

I would think that if the diver is in such a state where he/she doesn't realize that he/she is in a dire situation, you'd probably have to try to initiate the dil flush for him/her... Which is easy to do on front/shoulder mounted lungs.... Not sure if it's even possible with BMCL.

Richie

Old 21st July 2011, 16:00   #3
ChrisBrown
Mostly cold

Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel
rEvo II & III Minis & Micros
ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to ChrisBrown Send a message via Skype™ to ChrisBrown

Quote: (Originally Posted by netmage) View Original Post
So I was pondering a situation, where time was of the essence and thinking about how we could better communicate.

In a hyperoxic or hypoxic scenario, a common resolution is to perform a dil flush.....

Can anyone think of a rapid, no-nonsense signal for a team to communicate - "I see something wrong - you need to do a dil-flush now...!" without turning things into a conversation....?
I have one I use in class for Dil flush.

Its a crossed arm signal with on hand pointed finger and the other one pulling the opv cord. Guess it would work too well for a backmounted diver though.

what do you mean by hypoxic / hyperoxic scenario? A low oxygen alarm / HUD flash should show the diver way before a buddy notices something?

Methinks you would be recovering an unconscious diver off the bottom for the former if it got to that stage or watching your buddy aggressively dumping gas and injecting dil on the latter before you could get involved.
(Offline)

Old 21st July 2011, 16:14   #4
netmage
Tim Owens

netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of

Quote: (Originally Posted by Chris at Silent World) View Original Post
what do you mean by hypoxic / hyperoxic scenario? A low oxygen alarm / HUD flash should show the diver way before a buddy notices something?
We've all sat here behind the keyboard and said "that can never happen" because of x, y, z.....

The operative word is 'should'...

I do like the idea of the crossed arms... but would try to not 'mimic' the action on myself - it might not convey as an instruction/command, vs. "oh I thought you were doing a flush...."
(Offline)

Old 21st July 2011, 18:33   #5
alpine44
RBW Member

alpine44 is on a distinguished road alpine44 is on a distinguished road

We've all sat here behind the keyboard and said "that can never happen" because of x, y, z.....

I do like the idea of the crossed arms... but would try to not 'mimic' the action on myself - it might not convey as an instruction/command, vs. "oh I thought you were doing a flush...."
How about surrounding it with the YOU command?

YOU - (crossed arms mimicking dil flush) - YOU

That plus the look on your face should get the urgency across.
(Offline)

Old 21st July 2011, 18:41   #6
Steve Schultz
Nearly Bubbleless

Halcyon RB80
Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute

It's not quite what you're looking for, but my buddies and I have a "bailout" signal. It's used to get someone off the loop. If someone gives you the bailout signal, you don't question it, you bailout. After you bailout, then question it or discuss it if you need to.

The signal is putting a flat hand in front of your mouth, then turning your hand so that it's pointing vertically. It's essentially the movement that you make when flipping a BOV lever, so it's quite intuitive.

This can be used to get someone off the loop if you suspect that they're suffering or at risk of suffering from one of the 3 H's. Not quite a dil flush, but it solves the problem fast.
(Offline)

Old 21st July 2011, 19:17   #7
ChrisBrown
Mostly cold

Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel
rEvo II & III Minis & Micros
ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to ChrisBrown Send a message via Skype™ to ChrisBrown

What I mean is - how are you going to spot something wrong with your buddies before they either a) spot it themselves, b) keel over unconscious or c) convulse?

Whats the scenario exactly? Are you talking about spotting something not too concerning such as 1.6 on your buddies handset and wanting them to perform a flush to bring it back down to set point or something more severe?
(Offline)

Old 21st July 2011, 19:53   #8
Steve Schultz
Nearly Bubbleless

Halcyon RB80
Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote: (Originally Posted by Chris at Silent World) View Original Post
Whats the scenario exactly? Are you talking about spotting something not too concerning such as 1.6 on your buddies handset and wanting them to perform a flush to bring it back down to set point or something more severe?
The obvious one would be a clumsy buddy displaying early signs of hypercapnia.
Less obvious would be a PO2 problem. In my case with a pSCR, it could mean spotting an incorrect gas is plugged into the switchblock.
(Offline)

Old 21st July 2011, 21:27   #9
Dsix36
Supporting Member

rEvo
Optima Dolphin
Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute

Tim, as far as a signal goes, I think that if you held your BO reg up to your buddy as if for him to use it would be an effective signal.

I would certainly understand it if someone shoved a reg in front of me.

I know that this is not quite a hand signal. Just my 2 cents.

Quote: (Originally Posted by kwinter) View Original Post
I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
Quote: (Originally Posted by kwinter) View Original Post
And note the wisdom from DSix36
MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!
(Offline)

Old 21st July 2011, 22:31   #10
tecdiverdude
little man, big dreams

JJ CCR..
tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough

Quote: (Originally Posted by Steve Schultz) View Original Post
It's not quite what you're looking for, but my buddies and I have a "bailout" signal. It's used to get someone off the loop. If someone gives you the bailout signal, you don't question it, you bailout. After you bailout, then question it or discuss it if you need to.

The signal is putting a flat hand in front of your mouth, then turning your hand so that it's pointing vertically. It's essentially the movement that you make when flipping a BOV lever, so it's quite intuitive.

This can be used to get someone off the loop if you suspect that they're suffering or at risk of suffering from one of the 3 H's. Not quite a dil flush, but it solves the problem fast.
I like this and will teach it to my buddies... simple and imperative

Quote: (Originally Posted by Dsix36) View Original Post
Tim, as far as a signal goes, I think that if you held your BO reg up to your buddy as if for him to use it would be an effective signal.

I would certainly understand it if someone shoved a reg in front of me.

I know that this is not quite a hand signal. Just my 2 cents.
Don, we are all taught in O/C tec courses, that when someone shoves a reg in your mouth you take it no questions asked,, then discuss the issue... so its also utilising a skill that most of us have already learnt.. I think a combination or either of these would suffice... but I'm only a Noob..
(Offline)

Closed Thread