It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register for free click here
Rebreather World

Go Back   Rebreather World RBW Members General Section Q&A: General Member Questions

Old 22nd June 2010, 13:39   #1
CraigP
RBW Member

Inspiration
CraigP is an unknown quantity at this point
Holiday rental. How much would you hire?

I’m not aware if this is already available at faraway destinations e.g. truk, red sea etc. But wouldn’t it be less hassle if you could hire the bare bones of a rebreather, namely.

Case
Cylinders (I know these are available)
1st stage valves
Lungs (open for discussion)
Contents gauges
Hose’s
Mouth piece (may be)
Buoyancy aid bits and pieces.
ADV

Leaving you to bring what is really the business end of the rebreather and the thing you like to know the history of, the scrubber canister and controller + bov if desired.

This would allow easy travel without weight penalties. Maybe rebreather manufactures /suppliers would give good discounts for the supply of the above to rebreather friendly operator’s to encourage use of their units. I’m not sure of what cost would be attached for the hire but I wouldn’t think too much, as maintenance would be no different to open circuit.
My point being their would be very little outlay to the operator to purchase the above bits(compared with a complete rebreather) and the hirer would know the history of the controller.

Having taken my Inspiration to the red sea once to undertake my Mod 2 course, its not something you do lightly especially as weight restriction seem to be changing daily. I think the wife would notice that my case was filled entirely by my unit, however she may not notice the scrubber/controller. “Its my new snorkel thingy” would be how the conversation would go “just in case I get the odd few minutes to do a dive I mean snorkel”

So the question is would you rent?

Last edited by CraigP; 22nd June 2010 at 14:09.. Reason: clarification
(Offline)

Old 22nd June 2010, 13:46   #2
paulraymaekers
rEvo's daddy

rEvo
paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Holiday rental. How much would you hire?

Quote: (Originally Posted by CraigP) View Original Post
I’m not aware if this is already available at faraway destinations e.g. truk, red sea etc. But wouldn’t it be less hassle if you could hire the bare bones of a rebreather, namely.

Case
1st stage valves
Contents gauges
Hose’s
Mouth piece (may be)
ADV

Leaving you to bring what is really the business end of the rebreather and the thing you like to know the history of, the scrubber canister and controller + bov if desired.

This would allow easy travel without weight penalties. Maybe rebreather manufactures /suppliers would give good discounts for the supply of the above to rebreather friendly operator’s to encourage use of their units. I’m not sure of what cost would be attached for the hire but I wouldn’t think too much, as maintenance would be no different to open circuit.

Having taken my Inspiration to the red sea once to undertake my Mod 2 course, its not something you do lightly especially as weight restriction seem to be changing daily. I think the wife would notice that my case was filled entirely by my unit, however she may not notice the scrubber/controller. “Its my new snorkel thingy” would be how the conversation would go “just in case I get the odd few minutes to do a dive I mean snorkel”

we have 2 fully functional hybrid rEvo III (one mini/one standard) located in Safaga (red sea) for rent, for certified divers
no need to bring anything with you
for renting and diving, contact the 'rebreather pool' at Orca Safaga

paul
.... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
.... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
.... the earth is flat and ...
(Offline)

Old 22nd June 2010, 16:08   #3
FergusButler
RBW Member

Optima
FergusButler is just really nice FergusButler is just really nice FergusButler is just really nice FergusButler is just really nice FergusButler is just really nice FergusButler is just really nice FergusButler is just really nice FergusButler is just really nice FergusButler is just really nice FergusButler is just really nice FergusButler is just really nice

Quote: (Originally Posted by CraigP) View Original Post

Case
1st stage valves
Contents gauges
Hose’s
Mouth piece (may be)
ADV

My point being their would be very little outlay to the operator to purchase the above bits(compared with a complete rebreather) and the hirer would know the history of the controller.

Titan rebreathers are setting up something like that where their dealers will have loaner Titans available and you would just pay for tank rental, sorb/EA and fills.
(Offline)

Old 22nd June 2010, 18:41   #4
Devils Advocate
Blacklisted

1 of 6 on the shelf.
Devils Advocate will become famous soon enough Devils Advocate will become famous soon enough Devils Advocate will become famous soon enough Devils Advocate will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Devils Advocate
Wink Re: Holiday rental. How much would you hire?

The ex Tekstreme team have that set up at Werner Lau Tek in Sharm el Sheikh. They started this a while ago and now have for rent to qualified CCR divers the following,
Inspiration Vision,
Inspiration shell without electronics,
Copis megalodon,
Apeks/Shearwater megalodon,
Pelagian,
Poseidon MK6
Cylinders, sorb etc are all available as well.

Aaron.
(Offline)

Old 22nd June 2010, 19:44   #5
PhilSiswick
Phil Siswick, Tango

JJ-CCR
APD Inspiration, Evolution
PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute

Orca in Safaga have an Inspo Classic and a Vision available under their 'rent a box' scheme. You just take your head - the rest is there to rent at very reasonable rates, especially compared to excess baggage and insurance costs.

A buddy and I rented them for our Level III course earlier this year. It worked out well, but it's worth taking into account that you'll need a bit more prep time to make sure everything works and is set up as you want it.

Cheers,

Phil
(Offline)