It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register for free click here
Rebreather World

Go Back   Rebreather World Rebreather Models, Design, and Accessories SCR - Semi Closed Rebreathers Semi Closed Rebreathers Semi Closed Rebreathers

Old 4th April 2008, 15:35   #1
Jon R

Jon R is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Ubs 40

Hi
I am currently researching my 1st semi-closed rebreather, and have been sending e-mails all over the globe to get an idea on what I will buy. I have come across the UBS 40, but there is little mention of it on this site. Has anyone used it? It looks fantastic.

Here's the link:

Rebreather UBS

I can send a copy of the e-mail they sent me, including a price list if you PM me.

Regards
Jon
(Offline)

Old 4th April 2008, 20:22   #2
caveseeker7
Stefan Besier

PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS
(still owned) MK15
caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ubs 40

Pretty much looks like a smaller, lighter version of the Azimuth,
with the bailout tank and heavy handle/counter-weight missing.
I'm less than thrilled. Don't know how much they're asking.
Am not a fan of cmf-SCRs. But a Submatix looks better IMHO.
Any pSCR is probably better. ;)
(Offline)

Old 4th April 2008, 21:42   #3
Smudgegs
Divetart

Smudgegs has a spectacular aura about Smudgegs has a spectacular aura about Smudgegs has a spectacular aura about Smudgegs has a spectacular aura about Smudgegs has a spectacular aura about

Don't like the lack of bailout, but other than that hard to say. Would have to be a good price to beat a decent used Dolphin imho.
Submatix hasn't had great reviews when I've read them on here but at least you can "legally" modify it if you want to without leaving manufacturers reccomendations and their advantages/disadvantages are reasonably well documented.

I'd say it's an unknown quantity this one (unless anyone on here has dived it?) which is not a good thing in rebreathers, again imho...
(Offline)

Old 5th April 2008, 02:16   #4
Dave1w
Born Again Diver!

Kiss, JJ
Ray, APOC, rEvo
Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Dave1w

Hello,
Martin (Tecme.de) is a dealer for these. If you get in touch with him, he should be able to tell you all about it. He is very helpful.

Also, in Aus, Baz at Southern Cross Divers has one. He may be able to answer your questions.

Cheers
Dave
(Offline)

Old 5th April 2008, 10:23   #5
Marc T
hell is in the details

JOKI/rEVO/HOME MADE
EDO04 Ray
Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice

Quote: (Originally Posted by Dave1w) View Original Post
Hello,
Martin (Tecme.de) is a dealer for these. If you get in touch with him, he should be able to tell you all about it. He is very helpful.

Also, in Aus, Baz at Southern Cross Divers has one. He may be able to answer your questions.

Cheers
Dave

IMHO SCR is a good way to start easily with RB or better to make somehone starting with RB, no such problem with sensor calibration, accurate control of ppO2 etc...and if you want to stay in the shallow bailout is not such a big problem, 4 liter on an emergency reg is oK.
Did you need a bailout tank when you go OC for a recreational divel? No you just have a bailout reg.

After that a SCR wich allows you to use a various choice of gaz loose simplicity and in this case only the pSCR could be a good choice ( thats me ok? ) but in any case thats certainly not for beginner ( good WOB only with horizontal tream is one but not the only reason )

I think its the reason why draeger continue with Ray but not with Dolphin... and the UBS 40 is just between them so good choice IMHP except the price prob which is THE prob here.

For me the heavy Azimuth and the Toy-built Submatix are not choices.

Speaking of bailout if you need what the prob with taking any additional tank sidemounted with the UBS 40, just preparing yourself or your students to the next step ( CCR ).
For my club Ive considered the UBS 40 only the price was an issue.
Just my two cents

Marc
(Offline)

Old 7th April 2008, 15:20   #6
Philippe GERIN
ccr apprentice

Classic Kiss
Meg 2.7/SW, Copis Meg, SK
Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light

To my knowledge, there are 2 models of them: UBS40 & UBS40/V. The V version has an ADV+manual and the standard version is manual dil add only (handle on the gaz bloc). They offer an option for a second tank too, though I don't know how they propose to mount or if it's just a spare dil tank for the week-end.
It'd be a great candidate to become a Kiss-mod mCCR using a small 6cft or even a 13cft for O2. If I was in the market for one now I'd take the V version so it's easy to add O2 there. Great scrubber (same as Azi), one 4L steel tank (Faber), compact, light (not like the Azi) , so easy to turn into an mCCR... As for bailing out: off-board BO is a better the way to go.
Best
Philippe
(Online)

Old 8th April 2008, 08:18   #7
jacquesm
RBW Member

jacquesm is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote: (Originally Posted by Jon R) View Original Post
I have come across the UBS 40, but there is little mention of it on this site. Has anyone used it? It looks fantastic.
Hello !
I am an Azimuth diver, and had an opportunity to test one UBS40 unit. Well yes, it is a downgraded Azimuth, intended to attack the Ray market, so they choose to let down the second tank. But they let you buy it and add it later on externally monted.
I have no idea what US prices are, but here in Europe it is "offered" for 2700 , instead of 3000 for a full sized Azimuth ... I do not see any rationale to choose this "lighter" solution.

So I do recommend to take an Azimuth, use it down to 40 meters, or even a little bit deeper if you can afford some He inside (that is great down to 50 meters). integrated bail-out is quite efficient, may be completed with a small deco pony (high Nitrox or pure O2) and will let you dive for some years before you decide to search other play areas.

So long Jacques, from sunny France today
(Offline)

Old 8th April 2008, 09:23   #8
paulraymaekers
rEvo's daddy

rEvo
paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute

Quote: (Originally Posted by jacquesm) View Original Post
Hello !
I am an Azimuth diver, and had an opportunity to test one UBS40 unit. Well yes, it is a downgraded Azimuth, intended to attack the Ray market, so they choose to let down the second tank. But they let you buy it and add it later on externally monted.
I have no idea what US prices are, but here in Europe it is "offered" for 2700 , instead of 3000 for a full sized Azimuth ... I do not see any rationale to choose this "lighter" solution.

So I do recommend to take an Azimuth, use it down to 40 meters, or even a little bit deeper if you can afford some He inside (that is great down to 50 meters). integrated bail-out is quite efficient, may be completed with a small deco pony (high Nitrox or pure O2) and will let you dive for some years before you decide to search other play areas.

So long Jacques, from sunny France today
for your safety: do not forget to add some way of PPO2 monitoring!!!

paul
.... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
.... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
.... the earth is flat and ...
(Offline)

Old 8th April 2008, 12:02   #9
jacquesm
RBW Member

jacquesm is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote: (Originally Posted by paulraymaekers) View Original Post
for your safety: do not forget to add some way of PPO2 monitoring!!!
paul
Hi paul !
Sorry, I forgot to say it but do agree of course, as it is mandatory for use in France, as long as you consider organized diving : yes, you ned to monitor your Gaz content ! And this is not included in the prices that I reported.
(Offline)

Old 8th April 2008, 15:39   #10
caveseeker7
Stefan Besier

PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS
(still owned) MK15
caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute

Jordi has a nice side-by-side picture of the Azimuth and the UBS40.
The latter is quite a bit smaller, so if you consider traveling
with anything less than a truck it's probably the way to go.
The Azi, nice as it is, is large and it is heavy.
(Offline)