It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register for free click here
Rebreather World

Go Back   Rebreather World Rebreather Models, Design, and Accessories Rebreather Design & Operation

Old 13th February 2008, 18:50   #1
P3
Petri Keskitalo

P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough
Difference between breathing hoses

With all these WOB discussions i would like to know how big difference you could get with hoses with a smooth inner (cooper etc) compared to corrugated hoses (like most manufacturers use)?
And what would be optimal I.D?
(Offline)

Old 13th February 2008, 19:50   #2
chunter
I like diving

Mk15.5, Mk15
Inpisspiration, KISS
chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of
Re: Difference between breathing hoses

Quote: (Originally Posted by heigo) View Original Post
With all these WOB discussions i would like to know how big difference you could get with hoses with a smooth inner (cooper etc) compared to corrugated hoses (like most manufacturers use)?
And what would be optimal I.D?
I'm not being scientific here, but my feeling is that a smooth inner compared to corrugated hoses will make little or no difference to WOB. I think the major issues there are major constrictions, and counterlung positioning. I have noticed no difference between diving Cooper hoses on my Mk 15.5 compared to standard hoses.

I think that a 1.25" ID is pretty ideal. I don't think you get much added benefit from a larger ID, especially if there are any constrictions smaller than that in the unit.

Aloha,
Charlie

Last edited by chunter; 13th February 2008 at 19:53..
(Offline)

Old 13th February 2008, 20:09   #3
paulraymaekers
rEvo's daddy

rEvo
paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute

Quote: (Originally Posted by chunter) View Original Post
I'm not being scientific here, but my feeling is that a smooth inner compared to corrugated hoses will make little or no difference to WOB. I think the major issues there are major constrictions, and counterlung positioning. I have noticed no difference between diving Cooper hoses on my Mk 15.5 compared to standard hoses.

I think that a 1.25" ID is pretty ideal. I don't think you get much added benefit from a larger ID, especially if there are any constrictions smaller than that in the unit.

Aloha,
Charlie
just to give an idee: the 2.4 WOB we got in the highly modified rEvo, was with: drager ray hoses!!! (the ones we currently have on the rEvo's)

paul
.... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
.... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
.... the earth is flat and ...
(Offline)

Old 14th February 2008, 06:02   #4
ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to ScubaDadMiami

Hoses have additional trade-offs that have to be considered in answering your question. You can make them bigger inside, but too big becomes a minus. You also start to get problems with stiffness and comfort with certain configurations. Length of the breathing loop come into play, too.

It's not a one size fits all kind of answer. The hoses, canister and other components of the loop determine what will be the best fit.
(Offline)

Old 14th February 2008, 13:20   #5
MB
Banned

MB is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote: (Originally Posted by chunter) View Original Post
I have noticed no difference between diving Cooper hoses on my Mk 15.5 compared to standard hoses.

Agreed. Cooper, Draeger Ray, and Dreager Dolphin hoses on a Mark-15 all breathe the same to me. Coopers are easier to dry out, but that's about it. Ray hoses still dive best... flexable and comfy. Love 'em.

Dave

(Offline)