It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register for free click here
Rebreather World

Go Back   Rebreather World RBW Members General Section General Rebreather Diving Rebreather Wreck Diving

Old 9th November 2007, 04:47   #1
doug allen
RBW Member

doug allen is on a distinguished road doug allen is on a distinguished road
Lion Fish on Wrecks off NC Coast

I've been hearing about Lion Fish on wrecks off the NC coast for some time now.

This summer, I've been to three different dive sites on numerous occasions and have seen many of these fish each time (ledges near Frying Pan Tower, Ore Wreck and the Jell wreck). The Jell wreck has 100's of these suckers all over it....told my fishing buddies to cut em off the line if they are out there Grouper fishing.....

I've been told that these fish got in the Gulf Stream after Hurricane Andrew several years ago. I didn't really believe the reports, but dang....they are everywhere on these dive sites.....the reason given was that they were pets in homes wrecked during the hurricane and escaped to the gulf stream...

At Bikini and Truk I saw em in ones and twos, but on these sites there are 100's....some the size of your hand, some perhaps 18" long.....

Just an interesting observation
(Offline)

Old 9th November 2007, 05:14   #2
netmage
Tim Owens

netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of
Re: Lion Fish on Wrecks off NC Coast

Quote: (Originally Posted by doug allen) View Original Post

This summer, I've been to three different dive sites on numerous occasions and have seen many of these fish each time (ledges near Frying Pan Tower, Ore Wreck and the Jell wreck). The Jell wreck has 100's of these suckers all over it....told my fishing buddies to cut em off the line if they are out there Grouper fishing.....

I've been told that these fish got in the Gulf Stream after Hurricane Andrew several years ago. I didn't really believe the reports, but dang....they are everywhere on these dive sites.....the reason given was that they were pets in homes wrecked during the hurricane and escaped to the gulf stream...

At Bikini and Truk I saw em in ones and twos, but on these sites there are 100's....some the size of your hand, some perhaps 18" long.....

Just an interesting observation
Definately considered invasive. I'm not sure if they have natural predetors to keep them in check...
(Offline)

Old 9th November 2007, 11:38   #3
Tom Rose
Still Learning

Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Quote: (Originally Posted by netmage) View Original Post
Definately considered invasive. I'm not sure if they have natural predetors to keep them in check...
Yes it is true, they started showing up not long after the hurricane. They are also found in the Bahamas. Some are wondering what the environmental impact will be from this Pacific Invasion. A few years ago people laughed at those who said they saw them.....now they are an attraction.

Tom
(Offline)

Old 9th November 2007, 12:09   #4
cadblaster3
RBW Member

Inspiration, Micro rEvo
cadblaster3 will become famous soon enough cadblaster3 will become famous soon enough cadblaster3 will become famous soon enough cadblaster3 will become famous soon enough

They seem to multiply pretty fast. Everytime I head back to the same sites, it's seems like they've doubled.

Ed
(Offline)

Old 9th November 2007, 14:38   #5
Offgas
RBW Member

Offgas is on a distinguished road Offgas is on a distinguished road

They've been in the area for about 7 years. Had the opportunity to dive with a lab that has been studying their whereabouts earlier this year. We saw many, certainly hundreds, off the coast of the carolinas.
(Offline)

Old 9th November 2007, 16:58   #6
Offgas
RBW Member

Here's a vid of us collecting lionfish off the coast of N. Carolina (WARNING: OC)

(Offline)

Old 9th November 2007, 18:52   #7
Andy M
Dude

Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Andy M

Quote: (Originally Posted by doug allen) View Original Post
There have also been reports of Lion fish in the western parts of the English channel! Quite surprising, but this was a few years ago. Global warming???
(Offline)

Old 9th November 2007, 18:58   #8
Tom Rose
Still Learning

Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Quote: (Originally Posted by Offgas) View Original Post
Here's a vid of us collecting lionfish off the coast of N. Carolina (WARNING: OC)

Taking lionfish dead or alive
And why would you be doing that?

Certainly not for sport as they do not avoid divers?

Are you eating them?

Are they being collected for science? If so what science?

Just asking as I am not opposed to spearfishing or the taking of fish for scientific purposes...been there done that.

Just curious,
Tom

Tom
(Offline)

Old 9th November 2007, 19:34   #9
Offgas
RBW Member

This was for science. Most were "collected" on video, however the lab needed some in hand for research as well.

Heard from some of the researchers that they have eaten them in the past and that they're not too bad (not endorsing this, don't know that validity, don't eat one on my account, not to be blamed if you fugu yourself).
(Offline)

Old 9th November 2007, 21:21   #10
Russ
RBW Member

Russ will become famous soon enough Russ will become famous soon enough Russ will become famous soon enough

Should be cheap for aquariums now
(Offline)