It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register for free click here
Rebreather World

Go Back   Rebreather World Rebreather Models, Design, and Accessories Rebreather Accessories and other dive kit

Old 31st March 2007, 03:11   #1
sensor330
RBW Member

Who cares
A few
sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to sensor330
Worthington 19 tanks?

I've noticed on the XS scuba website the X19 pony tanks are 19 cuft at 3442 psi. Now if you view the page in metric it says it has a internal volume of 2.6L with a working pressure of 230 bar.

I have a neat little program I downloaded off the internet called GMP with it I can do conversions metric to imperial (vice versa) and mix calculations. Anyways when I put 2.6L and 230 bar and convert it to imperial it gives me 21.1 cuft at 3337.6 psi. Now if I just change the pressure to 206 bar it give me close to 19 cuft at 3000 psi. I'm at bit confused could someone please clear this up?

Scott
(Offline)

Old 31st March 2007, 04:27   #2
akscubainst
Dave Mitchell

KISS Classic Explorer
Kiss Classic
akscubainst has a spectacular aura about akscubainst has a spectacular aura about akscubainst has a spectacular aura about akscubainst has a spectacular aura about akscubainst has a spectacular aura about
Re: Worthington 19 tanks?

On the Sea Pearls site they list them as 3130+ Don't know about the conversion and there aren't any volume spec's on the Sea Pearls site but that should mean 19 feet at 3443.

Good Question

Dave

Last edited by akscubainst; 31st March 2007 at 04:27.. Reason: typo
(Offline)

Old 31st March 2007, 04:29   #3
hoppyinca

hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough

much rounding is done when "naming" tank sizes... AL 80cuft, not actually 80cuft... AL 19cuft actaully just under 20cuft....

either way the worthingtons are HEAVY! I have a buddy, both he and I recently started diving Mk15's... the worthington 30 fits perfect, size wise. he got one, WAY WAY but heavy! I think their like -6lbs/ full! as if the rigs are a$$ heavy enough!

just my thoughts...

hoppyinca
(Offline)

Old 31st March 2007, 04:32   #4
O.C.Diver
Helium Addict

O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light

Sea Pearls catalog lists the X4-19 as 3130+ PSI (3443) and a True capacity based on water volume of 23.0 cuft.

Ted
(Offline)

Old 31st March 2007, 04:35   #5
sensor330
RBW Member

Who cares
A few
sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote: (Originally Posted by O.C.Diver) View Original Post
Sea Pearls catalog lists the X4-19 as 3130+ PSI (3443) and a True capacity based on water volume of 23.0 cuft.

Ted
23 cuft at 3443? Check this out as is says 19 cuft at 3443
XS Scuba Worthington Steel Cylinder Specifications
(Offline)

Old 31st March 2007, 04:37   #6
sensor330
RBW Member

Who cares
A few

Here's the metric site XS Scuba Worthington Steel Cylinder Specifications
(Offline)

Old 31st March 2007, 08:29   #7
jdicediver
John Harcus

rEvo
Copis Megalodon
jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice

Quote: (Originally Posted by sensor330) View Original Post
I have a neat little program I downloaded off the internet called GMP with it I can do conversions metric to imperial (vice versa) and mix calculations.
Scott
Do you have a link the program can be downloaded from?

Regards;
(Offline)

Old 31st March 2007, 12:31   #8
O.C.Diver
Helium Addict

O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light

Quote: (Originally Posted by sensor330) View Original Post
23 cuft at 3443? Check this out as is says 19 cuft at 3443
XS Scuba Worthington Steel Cylinder Specifications
Lee (Leadking on RBW) who used to own Sea Pearls is a pretty avid tech diver and meticulous when it comes to these things. I would believe him first. If it's really important, you could always PM him.

Ted
(Offline)

Old 31st March 2007, 15:08   #9
zmcave
www.rebreather.com.br

O2ptima / Dolphin / rEvo
zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via ICQ to zmcave Send a message via Skype™ to zmcave

well, one problem regarding all these conversions is the fact that usually we "metric users" name our tanks in terms of their internal volume at atmospheric pressure, kind of "how much water can I put inside this tank? Some x liters". Besides that, we always have a max rated pressure, who has nothing to do with the internal volume.
On the other hand, inperial users like their tanks named with the total volume of gas at the rated pressure. So, whatever rated pressure the tanks has, it will act upon the total volume and thus in the name of the tank.
In this case I believe someone just made a confusion out of the names, volumes, etc.
Scott, the calculations made by that software are correct, used it many times and it works just fine.
Now, the Xs site says those tanks are 19 cuft at 3442 psi of pressure, I personaly believe the error is there, those tanks should be 19 cuft at 3130 psi.

Zé.
(Offline)

Old 31st March 2007, 17:09   #10
jdicediver
John Harcus

rEvo
Copis Megalodon
jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice

Quote: (Originally Posted by zmcave) View Original Post
Now, the Xs site says those tanks are 19 cuft at 3442 psi of pressure, I personaly believe the error is there, those tanks should be 19 cuft at 3130 psi.

Zé.
I am not so certain that I agree with you on this point. Most cylinder manufacturers (if not all) I am aware of rate the volume of their cylinders at the + rated pressure. I do believe the Worthington's are 19 cuft at the 3442 PSI rating, hence the "True capacity at 3442 PSI" statement listed on thier website is correct.

On another note, the 19cuft Worthingtons are shorter and slightly fatter than the Faber's and cannot be much heavier. I am considering them for my Megalodon, in favor of the "Goalposts".

Regards;
(Offline)