+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 ... LastLast

Thread: who the hell is that idiot John Bantin

New Member jv2000 is an unknown quantity at this point jv2000's Avatar

who the hell is that idiot John Bantin

Holy Crap,

Have you guys read some of the stuff! My buddy brought back a dive magazine from England with a review of the Evolution in it.

It read ok until the last parapgraph - the guy tells you not to dive with any bail out for christ's sake!

He is going to get his asse sued when some one dies as a result of reading it. It also looks like one of AP valves senior guys reccomended it to - some how I don't think that can be the official factory position.

Why the hell do you guys in England let jersk who know nothing write up RBs, at least in the states we have mags like ADM which know what they are talking about.

SiegeEngine II Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jv2000
    Holy Crap,

Have you guys read some of the stuff! My buddy brought back a dive magazine from England with a review of the Evolution in it.

It read ok until the last parapgraph - the guy tells you not to dive with any bail out for christ's sake!

He is going to get his asse sued when some one dies as a result of reading it. It also looks like one of AP valves senior guys reccomended it to - some how I don't think that can be the official factory position.

Why the hell do you guys in England let jersk who know nothing write up RBs, at least in the states we have mags like ADM which know what they are talking about.
    He's posted some weirdness before on various forums... I read something similar before from him and a lot of people misconstrued it. Haven't read this article though. His point in the one I read was that if CCR was best, why are people training to bail to OC? He fell short of recommending a bailout RB though, which is the logical extension of this train of thought...

What exactly did he say? We can have him publicly flogged if you like. I think we have ancient by-laws prohibiting public stupidity in dive magazines... :)

Banned AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM's Avatar
    Don't worry - he is commonly regarded as a f*cking assh*le - excuse my language but I really feel he should not be allowed to write such articles.

There was a big debate on another forum recently with him insisting that bailout was not necessary. He was unable to comment when he was pushed as to how he would respond to a CO2 incident or a loss of electronics or loop flood.

The man, is frankly, an idiot who knows nothing of rebreather diving.

Regards

AnneMarie

RBW Member Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by am
    Don't worry - he is commonly regarded as a f*cking assh*le - excuse my language but I really feel he should not be allowed to write such articles.

There was a big debate on another forum recently with him insisting that bailout was not necessary. He was unable to comment when he was pushed as to how he would respond to a CO2 incident or a loss of electronics or loop flood.

The man, is frankly, an idiot who knows nothing of rebreather diving.

Regards

AnneMarie
    He's proved that aswell

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

Quote Originally Posted by jv2000
    Holy Crap,

I hope, at least, he's a RB diver, or just he don't has anything else to do?

Nad

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Yeah he hasent been on rebreathers very long, only since the 1970's. He was involved in the testing of that yellow thing what's it called. Oh yeah the Insperation :D

Say what you like about his view that Alpinist is the only way to dive, but you cant say he dosent know anything about rebreathers.

ATB

Mark Chase

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

I'm sure Bantin knows some about rebreathers, just not enough.
    I have no problem with alpinists, as long as it's a well informed choice for oneself,
    made by a diver who knows how to dive safely and is willing to take the risk.
    Nature will sort stupid people out eventually.

Praising it in a mainstream magazine that as the correct way to go is a bit different.

In the PRISM community, assembling your rebreather the wrong way and
    topping it of
    with a sloppy pre-dive not catching your mistake is knowing as "doing a Bantin".
    If memory serves me right, for YBOD divers that means something different, but
    no less flattering.
    Goes to show you.

For those not familiar with Bantin, he wrote articles about the Dolphin, YBOD, PRISM and Evo
    for DIVER magazine. All those articles (as well as all other gear tests) are online and links are in the
    Links section for the respective manufatcurers.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by caveseeker7
    I'm sure Bantin knows some about rebreathers, just not enough.
    I have no problem with alpinists, as long as it's a well informed choice for oneself,
    made by a diver who knows how to dive safely and is willing to take the risk.
    Nature will sort stupid people out eventually.

Praising it in a mainstream magazine that as the correct way to go is a bit different.

In the PRISM community, assembling your rebreather the wrong way and
    topping it of
    with a sloppy pre-dive not catching your mistake is knowing as "doing a Bantin".
    If memory serves me right, for YBOD divers that means something different, but
    no less flattering.
    Goes to show you.

For those not familiar with Bantin, he wrote articles about the Dolphin, YBOD, PRISM and Evo
    for DIVER magazine. All those articles (as well as all other gear tests) are online and links are in the
    Links section for the respective manufatcurers.

Doing a Bantin refers to accidentally doing a dive on low set point on the YBOD. Of course no one else has ever done that before have they? Well apart from me and Richard Pile. Oh well at least I am in good company :D.

I have to say I totally disagree with his stance on diving the rebreather Alpinist but I do rather enjoy his dry and honest equipment tests. I took umbrage with him over a VR2 write up he did when he said it locked him out and he wrote it up as how the computer operates rather than that his unit had a fault. As he said at the time thatís what his unit did so thatís how he wrote it. Mistakes happen but at least you get some constructive criticism from him, which is a lot more than I can say for some other equipment tests I read.

ATB

Mark Chase

Staying Silent! Mostly... Silent is a name known to all Silent is a name known to all Silent is a name known to all Silent is a name known to all Silent is a name known to all Silent is a name known to all Silent is a name known to all Silent is a name known to all Silent is a name known to all Silent is a name known to all Silent is a name known to all Silent's Avatar

Contradiction or loss of Memory/marbles??

This is interesting, I remember reading his review of the Inspiration in Diver many years ago & thought his recent comment about not using bailout with the Evo a bit odd.

Lo and behold this is what he said in the Inspiration review: "For the 50m-plus dive I took the precaution of adding another 7-litre sling-tank of nitrox 36 to the rig, but by this time, 12 dives and at least 18 hours of Inspiration rebreather diving into the trip, I was confident that I would not need it.
    I also had the option of adding an O2-clean additional second stage to the first stage of the main oxygen supply valve, to use as a pure oxygen decompression bail-out gas at less than 6m."

Here's the link to the online article : http://www.divernet.com/gear/dtst598.htm

I'd have thought that he might consider starting diving a rebreather with no offboard bailout then have a few close calls and realise that offboard bailout is the only safe way to go.

So either he's more confident in the performance of the Evo or he's a lot less cautious than he used to be?
    Perhaps he's fallen in the 'complacency" trap of thinking a rebreather won't bite him in the ass? Only time will tell.

It would be interesting to find out why he's had this apparent change of heart regarding bailout.

Neil

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

That was it, yes. :D Of course everyone makes mistakes.
    Doing a Pyle means jumping overboard before you attach your rear hoses. ;)
    Handy to have a hydrophobic cannister and just need to pour out the water.
    Embarassing when you jump right back in without attaching the hoses.

One thing to give readers a good chuckle while making them realize everyone can make mistakes. Rich Pyle's Guide to Rebreathers has been a standard for quite some time, helping divers learn about RBs and safety issues.

Bantin has been writing about rebreathers for a long time, having been introduced to them in the early nineties by Pete Readey and his PRISM SCR prototype. So I certainly give him and Diver due credit for supporting rebreathers and help bringing them to where they are today. Every bit of support counts.

I just wish he would help keep diving them safe, too.
    And alpinism is a risky proposition at best.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 ... LastLast