+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: shadow divers

designer of death rdmmdr is a jewel in the rough rdmmdr is a jewel in the rough rdmmdr is a jewel in the rough rdmmdr is a jewel in the rough rdmmdr is a jewel in the rough rdmmdr is a jewel in the rough rdmmdr is a jewel in the rough rdmmdr's Avatar

shadow divers

i just finished the book "shadow divers" about the search for u-869. While it reads like a Greek tragedy, and exposes the personal lives of John, Richie , and Bill to the rest of the world. I highly recommend the book, and think that it should be included in any training program. It shows how the best can do some of their best work, while they make some questionable decisions. In closing let us remember the crew of u-869 and the three divers that died on it.

Steve Feldman died 1991 probably o2 toxicity.
    Chris Rouse died 1992 massive dcs
    Chris Rouse Jr. died 1992 massive dcs

RBW Member mortenkjerulff has a spectacular aura about mortenkjerulff has a spectacular aura about mortenkjerulff has a spectacular aura about mortenkjerulff has a spectacular aura about mortenkjerulff has a spectacular aura about mortenkjerulff has a spectacular aura about mortenkjerulff's Avatar

Re: shadow divers

Quote Originally Posted by rdmmdr  View Original Post
    i just finished the book "shadow divers" about the search for u-869. While it reads like a Greek tragedy, and exposes the personal lives of John, Richie , and Bill to the rest of the world. I highly recommend the book, and think that it should be included in any training program. It shows how the best can do some of their best work, while they make some questionable decisions. In closing let us remember the crew of u-869 and the three divers that died on it.

Steve Feldman died 1991 probably o2 toxicity.
    Chris Rouse died 1992 massive dcs
    Chris Rouse Jr. died 1992 massive dcs
    Hi.

I agree, Shadow Divers is good entertainment.
    But I would recommend that you afterwards read "Shadow Divers Exposed" by Gary Gentile, since it seems that there is a lot of inaccuracies in Shadow Divers, that Gary comments on.

Happy New Year!
    Morten

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Quote Originally Posted by mortenkjerulff  View Original Post
    Hi.

I agree, Shadow Divers is good entertainment.
    But I would recommend that you afterwards read "Shadow Divers Exposed" by Gary Gentile, since it seems that there is a lot of inaccuracies in Shadow Divers, that Gary comments on.

Happy New Year!
    Morten
    Morton,

Thanks for making that point... There are actually a reasonable number of books that all overlap around some of the incidents that are covered in Shadow Divers. Each has a slightly different version of the “alleged” facts. All of which are good reads. Gary simply took offense to the point that Shadow Divers is a "Non-Fiction Book". A very common thread around many of the accidents is diving deep air… Specifically as the book Shadow Divers goes, it is an excellent entertaining read. It’s also great to see the book getting so much positive press in the non-diving community.

The only down fall of the book in from my point of view, is that it claims to be a factual account of the events that it covers. As mentioned above this is what drove Gary to write his follow-up book. I think a better positioning for the book is that it’s “Based on real events”.

Dive Safe…

Mark

RBW Member PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2's Avatar

I very much enjoyed "Shadow Diver". Another good follow-on book is "The Last Dive" - the book about the Rouses. It is an interesting look at some areas of early sport technical diving including cave and wreck... and where they came together.

-p
    Last edited by PaulTG2; 30th December 2006 at 21:50.

Always Learning. Fort Collins Bob will become famous soon enough Fort Collins Bob will become famous soon enough Fort Collins Bob will become famous soon enough Fort Collins Bob's Avatar

Hello all,

Both the books Deep Descent and Dark Descent by Mr. Mcmurray are also
    very good reads.

bob

New Member petey1 is an unknown quantity at this point petey1's Avatar

Does anybody knowwhere you can pick up Gary's book

Always Learning. Fort Collins Bob will become famous soon enough Fort Collins Bob will become famous soon enough Fort Collins Bob will become famous soon enough Fort Collins Bob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by petey1  View Original Post
    Does anybody knowwhere you can pick up Gary's book
    Amazon.com: Shadow Divers Exposed: the Real Saga of the U-869: Books: Gary GentileAmazon.com: Shadow Divers Exposed: the Real Saga of the U-869: Books: Gary Gentile

~~~~~ #417 ~~~~~ PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer's Avatar

Shadow Divers - The Movie

When I was at DEMA, John and Richie said that they were leaving DEMA to head to Chicago to speak with the writers/director/or whoever (can't remember exactly who) about the movie they have been working on. In addition, they were hopeful that it would be done and showing around Thanksgiving '07.

I enjoyed the book no matter what the real circumstances were. I'm eagerly looking forward to watching the movie.

Curmudgeon babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar's Avatar

If anyone is interested, John and Richie have signed on to our upcoming course in Dominica. Jan 13-20, 2007. If anyone wants in, we still have a spot or two left. PM me for a brochure, or any additional information. Or download them at: http://uhms.org/Courses/Dive%20Away%...20Brochure.pdf and

http://uhms.org/Courses/Dive%20Away%...ion%20Form.pdf
    Attached Images

RBW Member brewmaster is an unknown quantity at this point brewmaster's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: shadow divers

from a person who lives and dives in new jersey and being an active diver for year i heard rummors of a sunken u boat off new jersey. in 1990 i heard the rummors start up, but this time they came from people i knew in the diving community. for you non new jersey divers the harbor inn was the place we drank before we were of age and yes the floors were sicky with spilt beer.
    if you were blown out from diving or fishing the place was open. i know all of the divers in the book and am freinds with most of them. the book was factual but also had the drama for the non diver. when i got my copy of the book ( advance copy) it brought back a great time in new jersey diving and that therumors were true about thr u boat. i think this is a great thing that happen to john and richie and the other divers from that time. as for gary i have known gary for many years and i do not care to waste my time reading the book or spending my money for the book and i have many of gary's books and yes there is fiction in his books even with some of the numbers. gary just has sour grapes that he did not find the u boat, that he did not write the book, that he is not getting a move deal out of it, that he does not have a tv show. and that all the books he has wrote john and richie hit it on the first try. great job shadow divers for diving and the new jeresy diving community.

brewmaster aka bill loughran

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast