+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tuna Seizure

PRISM DIVER & LUVIN IT! dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000's Avatar

Tuna Seizure

Hi Group,

Made my first trip on the TS out of South Jersey and I highly recommend her. Great little boat and a very nice Capt and Crew.

We dove a wreck called the Copper wreck She lies in 85' of water. The conditions were stellar and Viz was about 20-25'. I over heated my first dive That's right overheated the water was 51 and I was over dressed. It is Dec 29 and the water temp is 51. It was a perfect way to end a perfect year! Happy & Healthy New Year to all;)

I almost forgot, I also got to meet one of RBW members, its always nice to meet the face behind the keyboard
    Last edited by dive2dive2000; 30th December 2006 at 01:31.

Wrecking Crew viscya will become famous soon enough viscya will become famous soon enough viscya will become famous soon enough viscya will become famous soon enough viscya's Avatar

Re: Tuna Seizure

Quote Originally Posted by dive2dive2000  View Original Post
    I over heated my first dive That's right overheated the water was 51 and I was over dressed.
    I've been doing OC tech dives from this boat for a couple of years. Until recently, the captain was very skittish with RBs. Since my CCR conversion this spring, I've been working on him to change the policy. With the help of some dive buddies, he changed his RB policy in a statement just a few weeks ago. My KISS and I boarded the boat the next weekend and were welcomed by a few leers and a lot of friendly ribbing.

This afternoon, I heard from other passengers that three CCR units were aboard. From the descriptions I can identifiy two of the divers. I'm told the third had some major issues, and put the fear of CCR back into the captain.

Thanks M8.

This boat is very fast, and has a quick run to some great wrecks. I hope CCR divers will be able to use it in the future.

PS
    I'd like to know what undergarment you wear. Mine's good for an hour in 38 degree water, as well as 2 hours of deco on the SS Carolina, but I can't say I've ever overheated. I'm considering ice diving, and was considering something warmer.

RBW Member diver1369 will become famous soon enough diver1369 will become famous soon enough diver1369 will become famous soon enough diver1369 will become famous soon enough diver1369's Avatar

John/Bill's position on RB's on the Tuna Seazure:

"I was recently told I don't allow rebreathers on the boat, which was quite a surprise to me. I need to find out why I’m the last to be told about the
    allowed gear on the boat.

In the spring we will be posting a list of do'sand don'ts for diving on the boat. For now I feel the need to address this issue. My personal feelings on rebreathers are they are a relatively safe piece of dive gear. I have had very extensive discussions with some of the best rebreather divers around and feel they can be very safe when the right divers use them within their design limitations. For most divers I thinkthey are a very expensive answer to a simple problem (breathing underwater). They add quite a bit of additional work and skills while using them. I think the industry is way over populated with divers and instructors which shouldn't be teaching or diving them. Given a sloppy diver they can even kill you.

Now all that aside we have had rebreather divers on the boat for around 5
    years, this past season we had quite a few doing some very stressful deep
    dives. Everyone one of these people were very good, solid divers and what
    they were using underwater was not an issue, you see it's about the diver
    and his competence. A hundred dives at dutch springs does not provide a
    person with the skills required to dive the ocean on any gear but much less
    so with a rebreather. For some reason many people seem to think if they have the cert. card they should be allowed to do the dives they want. I don't feel this way; I think the card is only the beginning, not unlike a learners permit, the first step in driving. We will even be offering rebreather
    training in the next year, but I can assure you this course will not be
    easy. However I can also tell you you'll be a well rounded rebreather diver
    ready to start logging some beginning dives when you pass the course.
    I'm not certain how many dives you need to log before you dive our boat, but you'll need references from people you dive with. I don't take diver safety lightly and if it offends you that I alone will decide whether your ready to be out there so be it. Once you are ready you'll start with a dive buddy and we'll see how it goes. You have good skills and a decent amount of safe dives you'll be welcomed back.

The Tuna Seazure's whole reason for being is to be a training and
    recreational dive platform. I would like to think that when you are ready to
    try the deep dives our recommendation will get you on one of the fine boats offering deep tech. diving. I love to watch divers develop the skills to
    dive out there and do actually enjoy watching them move on to deeper stuff.

You want to learn to wreck dive, gain skills, have fun come out with us.
    You'll need to find another boat if you can't dive safely.

Capt. Bill and the crew of the Tuna Seazure."

RBW Member Frankie Pellegrino is just really nice Frankie Pellegrino is just really nice Frankie Pellegrino is just really nice Frankie Pellegrino is just really nice Frankie Pellegrino is just really nice Frankie Pellegrino is just really nice Frankie Pellegrino is just really nice Frankie Pellegrino is just really nice Frankie Pellegrino is just really nice Frankie Pellegrino is just really nice Frankie Pellegrino is just really nice Frankie Pellegrino's Avatar

I'm told the third had some major issues, and put the fear of CCR back into the captain.

Dear Visyca?

What Major issues are you talking about?

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Here are a couple of comments since I have know Capt. Bill and his son John that runs Northeast Scuba Supply for over five years.

1) These guys run a first class dive shop and charter operation. Here is a link to their web site...

http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/boat_tour_ts/about_tuna_seazure.html

2) The have always been very rebreather friendly. I was probably the first RB diver that they had one of their boats over five years ago. As mentioned in the previously mentioned note, when it comes to RB's they simply want to know your personal "dive log".... Who trained you.... What your real open ocean diving experience has been etc... A reference to someone that they already know goes a long way.....

3) As far as an the comments about them having a CCR diver on the boat that had problems. While diving on the boat yesterday Bill and several of us were discussing a situation where an OC diver had a cluster #(&*^&(*. It was a diver with what looked like lots of new equipment etc... I think we all know the red flags that a diver either OC or CCR with lots of new equipment poses.

In short the Tuna Seazure is a great boat to dive from either OC or CCR. I highly recommend their dive shop and operation...

Dive Safe...
    Mark

PRISM DIVER & LUVIN IT! dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by viscya  View Original Post
    I've been doing OC tech dives from this boat for a couple of years. Until recently, the captain was very skittish with RBs. Since my CCR conversion this spring, I've been working on him to change the policy. With the help of some dive buddies, he changed his RB policy in a statement just a few weeks ago. My KISS and I boarded the boat the next weekend and were welcomed by a few leers and a lot of friendly ribbing.

This afternoon, I heard from other passengers that three CCR units were aboard. From the descriptions I can identifiy two of the divers. I'm told the third had some major issues, and put the fear of CCR back into the captain.

Thanks M8.

This boat is very fast, and has a quick run to some great wrecks. I hope CCR divers will be able to use it in the future.

PS
    I'd like to know what undergarment you wear. Mine's good for an hour in 38 degree water, as well as 2 hours of deco on the SS Carolina, but I can't say I've ever overheated. I'm considering ice diving, and was considering something warmer.
    Viscya,

Gotta love the internet and old hags who love to start bullshit

I would like to take the opportunity to give a detailed report since I dive a PRISM and had a problem on my first dive.

Being Dec I assumed water would have been 40 to 44 first mistake. I expected the air to be colder too, second mistake. I was over dressed and heating up quickly. I normally dive a DUI CF200. My back up suit is a Diving Concept Trilam. I have one dive on her (not a mistake but an element my buoyancy was not as good as it usually is). Third mistake I have put some pounds on and I can feel the difference physically.

For some reason my kit was twisted up and I was not donning her properly, instead of slipping out of her and accesing the situation I rationalised in my mind it must be the few extra pounds and splashed anyway.

Upon descending the granny line got tangled under my catch bag. I thought a current had kicked up because every time I would stop fining and roll and look the line would be taught and I could not see I was hung up. After a few minutes of kicking real hard I turned again and this time I saw the mate descending abound me waving I realized I was hung up and freed myself. At this point I am really pissed off at myself for being such an ass. I get to the tie in point but I can not catch my breath. I start thinking oh shit I must of packed my scrubber wrong and I bail to OC. I start to ascend do a 3 min stop at 20' still I cant catch my breath ( My kit is really tight) and I am really over heating pair of wheezles and a 200m fleece on.

I get on boat go on O2 and the Capt, mate and I have a good laugh at my expense. We also had a discussion on how divers will turn down O2 and lie about problems because of there ego's. Once out of my Kit I saw where I was fouled and why my WOB was so hard.

I fixed my kit stripped off some undies and my second dive was uneventful. I felt like, and was told, I was welcomed back. Sometimes shit happens and it was dealt with in a very professional way

Lesson learned if you think or feel like something is wrong don't splash!

BTW maybe it is the diver he dos not want on board not the rebreather

Banned jiseson is a jewel in the rough jiseson is a jewel in the rough jiseson is a jewel in the rough jiseson is a jewel in the rough jiseson is a jewel in the rough jiseson is a jewel in the rough jiseson is a jewel in the rough jiseson's Avatar

Angry Re: Tuna Seizure

Quote Originally Posted by dive2dive2000  View Original Post
    I would like to take the opportunity to give a detailed report since I dive a PRISM and had a problem on my first dive.

Being Dec I assumed water would have been 40 to 44 first mistake. I expected the air to be colder too, second mistake. I was over dressed and heating up quickly. I normally dive a DUI CF200. My back up suit is a Diving Concept Trilam. I have one dive on her (not a mistake but an element my buoyancy was not as good as it usually is). Third mistake I have put some pounds on and I can feel the difference physically.

For some reason my kit was twisted up and I was not donning her properly, instead of slipping out of her and accesing the situation I rationalised in my mind it must be the few extra pounds and splashed anyway.

Upon descending the granny line got tangled under my catch bag. I thought a current had kicked up because every time I would stop fining and roll and look the line would be taught and I could not see I was hung up. After a few minutes of kicking real hard I turned again and this time I saw the mate descending abound me waving I realized I was hung up and freed myself. At this point I am really pissed off at myself for being such an ass. I get to the tie in point but I can not catch my breath. I start thinking oh shit I must of packed my scrubber wrong and I bail to OC. I start to ascend do a 3 min stop at 20' still I cant catch my breath ( My kit is really tight) and I am really over heating pair of wheezles and a 200m fleece on.

I get on boat go on O2 and the Capt, mate and I have a good laugh at my expense. We also had a discussion on how divers will turn down O2 and lie about problems because of there ego's. Once out of my Kit I saw where I was fouled and why my WOB was so hard.

I fixed my kit stripped off some undies and my second dive was uneventful. I felt like, and was told, I was welcomed back. Sometimes shit happens and it was dealt with in a very professional way

Lesson learned if you think or feel like something is wrong don't splash!

BTW maybe it is the diver he dos not want on board not the rebreather
    i tried to charter this boat a couple times-they were not very friendly-would n't try again-too many good captains out there to deal with bs

Quote Originally Posted by jiseson  View Original Post
    i tried to charter this boat a couple times-they were not very friendly-would n't try again-too many good captains out there to deal with bs
    Johnathan,

I am sorry you feel that way, I have been dealing with them for a long time as a scuba store and first time as a boat, I have nothing but good things to say, and good experiences to share

RBW Member diver1369 will become famous soon enough diver1369 will become famous soon enough diver1369 will become famous soon enough diver1369 will become famous soon enough diver1369's Avatar

I agree with Martin. They have a good range of products for tech divers (including first class dive boat opns), competitive prices, and a customer service attitude that we don't always find. My experience is that they will do whatever it takes to make sure the customer is happy.

Their approach to RBs on the dive boat is right on. Its the diver and his (or her) experience, skills and attitude, not the tools they choose to use.

john

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast