+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Air quality

Banned AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM's Avatar

Air quality

Hiya

Have recently had a small problem with dampness and mould at home, but it got me to thinking well we breathe similar conditions in rebreathers! Plus we leave damp rebreathers lying around at home!

What are the implications of dampness/mould to human health? Both from rebreather diving and if it's untreated in people's houses?

Does anyone use an air purifier at home? Or a dehumidifier?

Regards
    AM

The 4th King Skeletor will become famous soon enough Skeletor will become famous soon enough Skeletor will become famous soon enough Skeletor will become famous soon enough Skeletor's Avatar

Re: Air quality

If ccr_ada is still alive, then I am presuming that there are no long term ill effects. When did he last wash out his counterlungs

Cheers,

Skelly

RBW Member nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by am  View Original Post
    I can't comment on air purifiers but since your lungs exhale 100% humidity and since I feel so much better after a dive on warm, damp gas I would say a dehumidifier is more about your house than your health.

Phil Siswick, Tango PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

APD Inspiration, Evolution

Hiya

Have recently had a small problem with dampness and mould at home, but it got me to thinking well we breathe similar conditions in rebreathers! Plus we leave damp rebreathers lying around at home!

What are the implications of dampness/mould to human health? Both from rebreather diving and if it's untreated in people's houses?

Regards
    AM
    From limited knowledge, I think the spores produced by the mould are more of a problem than the dampness itself in most cases.

HTH,

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

Dampness in buildings is usually a money making scam by liquid DPC contractors unless you have serious amounts of structural timber. Surface dampness (i.e. condensation) is usually a lack of ventilation or cold bridging (badly done insulation).

If you're sensitive to breathing disorders like asthma then airborne spores from mould can cause problems but for the vast majority of people then I'd doubt it. The air in your house (unless you have a swimming pool) won't be any damper than the outside air and if it's heated then the RH will be much lower. At the other end of the scale, having overheated, dry buildings is probably worse for the general health than dampness.

As for dehumidifiers, if the problem is rising damp (i.e. damp being wicked up from the ground into the structure) then all the dehumidifiers on the planet will do feck all. Condensation, you'd be better off either introducing some ventilation or looking at how you heat the place (condensation needs a temperature difference to form -- don't have cold surfaces in hot rooms). De-humidifiers, in my opinion, are just a waste electricity in the home.

Cheers,

Stuart
    Last edited by lizardland; 11th December 2006 at 13:02.

PFO free :) pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning's Avatar

Hiya
    From my experience damp is generally unpleasent but mould has induced colds/ sickness in me and those living in such a property. A healthy home begins with good conditions. I wouldn't worry about chiming cymbals in corners and the placement of mirrors etc just yet but I find it helps to perform an exorcism on my home and RB now and then. :) Looking inside the CL bags (on an Inspo - sorry KISS divers) can be quite revealing / scary!

Dehumidifiers are used very effectively in construction to reduce humidity - in freshly plastered buildings for example. It is surprising how much vapour they can pull out of the air but they don't fix penetrative damp problems. I have had no experience of air purifiers - I just open all the windows :)
    Last edited by pchanning; 11th December 2006 at 13:46. Reason: You can have that one for free Am, but I'll have to charge you for the next one ;)

"Two Sheds" Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos's Avatar
    JJ Rebreather

Classic Kiss

Quote Originally Posted by pchanning  View Original Post
    Looking inside the CL bags (on an Inspo - sorry KISS divers) can be quite revealing / scary!
    No need to apologise. I think this is quite an ecumenical matter. I clean out my lungs after a weekends diving. Sometimes I get home late and I can't be arsed. When I come to tip out the lung liquid, it's a delightful shade of green (think Percy in Blackadder). Mmmmm. Nice.

Janos

"Two Sheds" Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos's Avatar
    JJ Rebreather

Classic Kiss

Quote Originally Posted by lizardland  View Original Post
    De-humidifiers, in my opinion, are just a waste electricity in the home.
    Fecking great for drying dive kit though.

Janos

New Member narked@10m is on a distinguished road narked@10m is on a distinguished road narked@10m's Avatar

hi
    took me little kiss out to play in lake last week,next morning woke up with blotchy red face n dizzy, not sure symtoms connected to dive but it had sat festering in hallway for a month.not washed out since prev dive .
    during dive tasted ok but loop did have strange smell to it.

any ideas??

hate to look in my inspo lungs as thats been sitting next to the kiss festering for 2 months!!
    best i do give that a clean before i dive it next .
    pete

PFO free :) pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning's Avatar

I replaced a bladder in my girl's wing a while back. It had salt ROCKS in it! Surprising. Properly washing out a bladder on a unit can be very hard. Certainly made me think.

Anyway, back on track...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast