+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Main 2007 Expedition Truk or Bikini Atoll

RBW Member farmerted is an unknown quantity at this point farmerted's Avatar
    Meg,Hammerhead,PSCR,Mk15.5

Lowrider, Joki,Boris,Fridge

Re: Main 2007 Expedition Truk or Bikini Atoll

Hey All,
    I'm new to the list, but would be interested in this trip. I was in Bikini this year(march) along with NICKT. we left a bunch o' alum 19'sand 40's and steel 19's there for return trips. As far as helium, you can get a t of 10/50 from Guam for around 750 U.S. We brought a baby booster with us. The O2 was around 94-96%. As far as the "guided dives", well, my experience was different. I can elaborate in further posts if anyone wishes.The divemasters are more educated in rebreathers now. Sorb can be shipped in prior. I took my meg, housed camera and one strobe with me and had to pay 150 extra for the various flights. At the end of our time on the island, Andrew(Mad Dog) and myself conducted a rebreather experience off the dock. Nick, I see that you liked my meg as you now have one, congrats, hope to see you soon. Sorry all for not doing the meet and greet thing. I'm 35(36 on wed) been diving since 84, instructor in 1990, diving cc since 97. Own a bunch o' rigs and dive as much as possible and, yes, I am a potato farmer hence the name. Also looking for ccr chick to dive with as my girlfreind dissed me cause I dive all the time. Thought I'd throw that one in. Dive safe and often, Ted
    BTW, All the bottles left on the island do not have valves in them.

New Member kozmik is an unknown quantity at this point kozmik's Avatar

Jim here I just organized and filled the Odyssey boat for 12 rebreather dudes for Nov 2007,sorb easy to setup,no helium on board but your group picks whatever wreck they desire cool eh.my fourth trip to TRUK,the easiest best wreck diving in the World.Second week will be at Blue Lagoon Hotel open for bookings now...Dec 3 contact travel@squbaholidays.com book second week Dec2-9/2007 join us spots left

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Andy M
    The thorfinn refit was focused on extra stabilising keels on each side of the main keel, repairing rusty plates in the hull, and replacing windows, the lounge now has large windows in the side of it, for a more airy and bright feel. The lounge also has new furniture, its been completely redecorated, and now has a large plasma screen in place of the fish tank.

I didnt notice anything else particularly noticeable. The cabins have not been refitted... (the cabins on the mid deck are horrible) Oh and the filipinos pinched all the plugs on the boat while it was in for refit. They still have no booster fitted.

I was only on the thorfinn one day, because it didnt arrive until the day before my flight home... (discussions are in progress wrt recompense so I dont want to say any more about it here)

Andy
    The booster should be in place by now.. they were 1 fitting short.. The thorfinn will also have 6 sets of RB cylinders on board 3 sets of 3l steels and 3 sets of 2l steels.. This I am sure about because,I sold them to him.. I will be assisting him to make the boat RB friendly.. If he sees an increase by RB divers he will order more cylinders..
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

RBW Member Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought's Avatar
    rEvo,Meg,Inspo,Titan,Prism2

SCR's,Optima,MkVI,KISS

Quote Originally Posted by farmerted
    Hey All,
    I'm new to the list, but would be interested in this trip. I was in Bikini this year(march) along with NICKT. we left a bunch o' alum 19'sand 40's and steel 19's there for return trips. BTW, All the bottles left on the island do not have valves in them.
    Ted

What do you mean "All the bottles left on the island do not have valves in them"? Where are the valves? on the island removed, or taken back? Why drain the cylinders of gas? And how many al 19's, 40's and steel 19's ?

I ask as I have 30, al and steel 19's plus stage bottles left at Truk and it would be nice to have cylinders in Bikini for next years RBW trip. The idea is that RBW divers could fly to Truk, then to Bikini without the weight of cylinders.

Ron

RBW Member farmerted is an unknown quantity at this point farmerted's Avatar
    Meg,Hammerhead,PSCR,Mk15.5

Lowrider, Joki,Boris,Fridge

Ron,
    We left our flasks there for future trips(2 sets al 3liter and 2 sets steel 3 liter) we took the valves with us. We also left several al 40s there with valves in them. There was only 4 of us diving ccr on the trip, but they gave us a seperate boat. We also had a baby booster for the 10/50. All of the dives were guided, however since we were diving ccr the divemaster could not stay as long and we were left to ourselves after 20 mins or so. we were told to reverse engineer our profiles so that we were out of the water in no longer than 90 mins. After you gain the trust of the divemasters, you have much leeway. If you stay a second week and are cave trained you can basically do whatever you want as long as you have earned the trust. I can't wait to go back. I've got lot's more info and photos galore for anyone interested. Ted

New Member devo is infamous around these parts devo is infamous around these parts devo is infamous around these parts devo is infamous around these parts devo's Avatar

I haven't read back on all 6 pages, but I am looking for a CCR trip to Bikini in 2007. Thanks.

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by devo
    I haven't read back on all 6 pages, but I am looking for a CCR trip to Bikini in 2007. Thanks.
    I doubt Stuart feels like organising any more RBW trips (and I dont blame him)
    but if he does I expect/hope he insists people pay up in full when they first book.

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike
    I doubt Stuart feels like organising any more RBW trips (and I dont blame him)
    but if he does I expect/hope he insists people pay up in full when they first book.
    You got that right Mike....

I won't personally be organising any more RBW trips...ever....I will happily be a supporting player though....

This one is being organisied by deepthought (RON) who has run many trips to Truk and is a lot more experienced (and willing to put up with the head aches) than I....

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Thought
    Ted

What do you mean "All the bottles left on the island do not have valves in them"? Where are the valves? on the island removed, or taken back? Why drain the cylinders of gas? And how many al 19's, 40's and steel 19's ?

I ask as I have 30, al and steel 19's plus stage bottles left at Truk and it would be nice to have cylinders in Bikini for next years RBW trip. The idea is that RBW divers could fly to Truk, then to Bikini without the weight of cylinders.

Ron

I just returned from Ron's TRUK (Chuuk) CCR 2006 trip. Ron has gone 1000% out of his way and spent thousands of extra dollars bringing in extra equipment, just for us CCR divers to use.

CCR's in Truk allowed the team of divers to extend the normal OC bottom times by 3X and decrease decompression obligations. CCR's also allowed the team to use helium on an island that normally charges over $700 for a single bank HE cylinder.

I was able to get some awsome photos during the trip and will be writing a special article in ADM issue 23 about the trip, the wrecks, and the islands history.

I have posted some of the photos from the trip here under my name. Take a look.

Can't wait until next years trip, I have many more ship engine rooms and cargo holds to explore through.

Ron, Thanks for a TOP NOTCH dive week!!!!!!!!

Curt Bowen

New Member Hoy is an unknown quantity at this point Hoy's Avatar

Hi guys

With that kind of warning (2007) I will be in on it (either spot).

As for logistics I will be leaving from OZ, looking forward to more info?

Peter