+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Main 2007 Expedition Truk or Bikini Atoll

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar
    Truk is a great RB destination. Would love to go back (would love it even more with some Helium)

Only thing is, unlike Bikkini, they are mostly cargo ships.

From our 2003 Inspiration expedition;

Can anyone spot the guy who later became the new owner of IANTD? :D

Or the dashingly handsome Drmike? :D

Or the guy most likely to be eaten by a shark :D
    Attached Images

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Andy M
    Hey all, an update from Chuuk... I am bumming about in an internet cafe. The Thorfinn did not leave manila until yesterday. "They had to keep redoing the paint, as it kept raining on the wet paint". Its expected in the lagoon next wednesday, and its 7 days sailing from manila. In the meantime I am having to dive from the truk stop and the blue lagoon dive centres. I dont know yet if I will get on the thorfinn as it arrives 4 days before my flight home.

Went diving this morning. only one word for the diving here, fugging awesome!!! best stuff around. If you havnt been here already, DO IT!
    What a bummer! With a $1.2m refit (I heard it actually was a bit more) in the philippines must be something else... The $$ goes a long way there...

I'm probably going to book the thorfinn for sometime in the spring...
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

Megalegalegalegadingdong! nmanfield is just really nice nmanfield is just really nice nmanfield is just really nice nmanfield is just really nice nmanfield is just really nice nmanfield is just really nice nmanfield is just really nice nmanfield is just really nice nmanfield is just really nice nmanfield's Avatar
    Would be interested in either or both or even longer but all depends on the work schedule. But stick me down as a definite maybe. Cheers

Banned jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont's Avatar
    Revo3 RMS, Revo3 Micro FT, MEG

HH, YBOD, Drager, MK, etc.

Re: Main 2007 Expedition Truk or Bikini Atoll

Quote Originally Posted by schford
    Dear All,

I know its a long time off but it will need some planning! For 2007 we are looking at arranging an expedition to either Truk or Bikini.

The duration would be 10 to 20 days. This will require a lot of plannign on our behalf and I am loathe to start researching 2 destinations.

Could I get your thoughts on if you would be interested and which destination would you prefer?

Thanks

Stuart

I would be very interested in whatever destination the group decided on, I just wouldn't want my dive profiles to be chosen for me, I am a solo diver without exception

cheers

Banned jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont's Avatar
    Revo3 RMS, Revo3 Micro FT, MEG

HH, YBOD, Drager, MK, etc.

I am partial to Bikini

RBW Member The Purist has a spectacular aura about The Purist has a spectacular aura about The Purist has a spectacular aura about The Purist has a spectacular aura about The Purist has a spectacular aura about The Purist has a spectacular aura about The Purist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jont
    I would be very interested in whatever destination the group decided on, I just wouldn't want my dive profiles to be chosen for me, I am a solo diver without exception
    In that case, you'd be best off doing 2 weeks in Bikini - they are pretty strict about the running of the dives, not in a "resort guide" way, but sticking to planned times and being where you say you are.

They get a lot of 'very experienced tech divers' out there, some of who have fcuked up in grand style so everyone is given the same treatment until you've had a chance to prove otherwise. Unless you've been before and are a known quantity you'll probably start on the standard itinerary on week 1 and maybe start to get some slack as things progress, then on week 2 you can do your own thing...

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar

We should have the provisonal details up in the next week or so...

The trip will encompass Truk & Bikini and you can do one half or both - looking exciting

Stuart

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

Quote Originally Posted by schford
    We should have the provisonal details up in the next week or so...

The trip will encompass Truk & Bikini and you can do one half or both - looking exciting

Stuart
    Yuhuuuuuu. I'll be there, you can write my name.

Nad

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

Quote Originally Posted by Nad
    Yuhuuuuuu. I'll be there, you can write my name.

Nad
    Oh, I forgot, just between mid september and mid may, otherwise I can't (in the actual situation).

Nad

Dude Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jradomski
    What a bummer! With a $1.2m refit (I heard it actually was a bit more) in the philippines must be something else... The $$ goes a long way there...

I'm probably going to book the thorfinn for sometime in the spring...
    The thorfinn refit was focused on extra stabilising keels on each side of the main keel, repairing rusty plates in the hull, and replacing windows, the lounge now has large windows in the side of it, for a more airy and bright feel. The lounge also has new furniture, its been completely redecorated, and now has a large plasma screen in place of the fish tank.

I didnt notice anything else particularly noticeable. The cabins have not been refitted... (the cabins on the mid deck are horrible) Oh and the filipinos pinched all the plugs on the boat while it was in for refit. They still have no booster fitted.

I was only on the thorfinn one day, because it didnt arrive until the day before my flight home... (discussions are in progress wrt recompense so I dont want to say any more about it here)

Andy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast