+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2006 BRITANNIC expedition

New Member barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney's Avatar

2006 BRITANNIC expedition

An international team of divers recently concluded this year's memorable expedition to the White Star Olympic Class liner HMHS BRITANNIC, sistership of the RMS TITANIC.
    It was a great experience diving with old friends and meeting many new ones as well. Due to a wide variety of issues, we only got in three days of diving, with an additional day to set the mooring. For those that have aspirations to dive this remarkable wreck, an article will be appearing in Wreck Diving Magazine discussing the various events; it should prove to be a VERY interesting piece. Hopefully, two History Channel documentaries will also appear in the future featuring the HD footage captured on the wreck.
    Prior to the trip, a BRITANNIC veteran told me this wreck will ruin me forever for diving. Having done two dives on the wreck, I fear he may be correct. The BRITANNIC truely is breathtaking and nothing really compares -- nothing.
    I have added a slideshow of various images taken during the expedition (sorry no underwater images) to the AUE website on the trip reports section.
    Enjoy!
    Cheers,
    Mike

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

Re: 2006 BRITANNIC expedition

Quote Originally Posted by barney  View Original Post
    An international team of divers recently concluded this year's memorable expedition to the White Star Olympic Class liner HMHS BRITANNIC, sistership of the RMS TITANIC.
    It was a great experience diving with old friends and meeting many new ones as well. Due to a wide variety of issues, we only got in three days of diving, with an additional day to set the mooring. For those that have aspirations to dive this remarkable wreck, an article will be appearing in Wreck Diving Magazine discussing the various events; it should prove to be a VERY interesting piece. Hopefully, two History Channel documentaries will also appear in the future featuring the HD footage captured on the wreck.
    Prior to the trip, a BRITANNIC veteran told me this wreck will ruin me forever for diving. Having done two dives on the wreck, I fear he may be correct. The BRITANNIC truely is breathtaking and nothing really compares -- nothing.
    I have added a slideshow of various images taken during the expedition (sorry no underwater images) to the AUE website on the trip reports section.
    Enjoy!
    Cheers,
    Mike
    Yo lucky man...
    Very nice the slideshow.
    I had a call with a friend of mine during the expedition (Edoardo) and he did tell me where he was at this moment...

Well done guys.

Nad

Randy Thornton Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict's Avatar
    Hammerhead Sentinel Evolution

Optima Inspiration Prism 2

Great slide show. I look forward to watching the History Channel shows.

RBW Member aquaxel is on a distinguished road aquaxel is on a distinguished road aquaxel's Avatar
    KISS

i heared rumors that history channel was using a new 3d uw-camera on this expedition. do u have any details about it?

digital nomad GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM's Avatar
    Hyperion pSCR

IDA71, HomeBuilts, Ray, RGU/FM

Is anyone going to publish more details online? Word has it that you were hit by bad weather and also had severe logistics issues. Thee days of diving is a poor score for a two week expedition.

I did hear that there were problems with the DPVs and cameras. In fact, my buddy here in Athens got a call from one of your team asking for SS batteries and DPVs for hire...

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by barney  View Original Post
    Enjoy!
    Cheers,
    Mike
    Mike,
    Sorry you had so much troubles... The logistics and potential weather issues is what caused a group I was supposed to go with to postpone our expedition until the spring.. Originally it was supposed to be first and second week of september, then there was a problem and it was going to be delayed slightly, then other things were comming in... It would have been interesting if both groups ended up on the wreck at the same time...
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

New Member barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aquaxel  View Original Post
    i heared rumors that history channel was using a new 3d uw-camera on this expedition. do u have any details about it?
    Yes, there was a stereoscopic HD camera array that would be able to present the images in 3D. It was tethered with fiber optic cable, so it required extra work to deploy and tend. It also had 6 HID light arms on it. There is a pic of it in the slideshow.
    We also had 400 watt HMIs that would have been awesome. Unfortunately, due to timing and mooring issues, we were not able to use some of the toys (e.g., ROV).

Quote Originally Posted by GKAM  View Original Post
    Is anyone going to publish more details online? Word has it that you were hit by bad weather and also had severe logistics issues. Thee days of diving is a poor score for a two week expedition.

I did hear that there were problems with the DPVs and cameras. In fact, my buddy here in Athens got a call from one of your team asking for SS batteries and DPVs for hire...
    I believe Joe Porter of WRECK DIVING MAGAZINE will be publishing an expose on the trip. It will be a very interesting read.

Yes, aside from bad weather, planning and preparation caused several issues. FWIW, the DPV issue was due to several being shipped by the production company without batteries to save on shipping, thinking they could be picked up locally

Also, we lost half the team at the end of the trip (when we had great weather) due to a plague of gastro-enteritis; people were dropping like flies.

Then there were the "government" issues. I won't elaborate further, as I think Joe will cover all of that. Plus, I don't think you would believe me if I told you about some of the events! For anyone interested in diving this wreck, I suggest you pick up an issue when it is available. It will be an eye-opener.
    Suffice it to say, some of the BRITANNIC veterans have written off Greece completely.

The bottom line is diving the wreck is the easiest aspect of the whole trip. Setting it up and wading through all the BS and arbitrary bureacratic whims is like walking thru a minefield though. If you still are motivated to dive the wreck, bring the KY...

Quote Originally Posted by GKAM  View Original Post
    Thee days of diving is a poor score for a two week expedition.
    I agree. But you can't quickly get what you need in that part of the world. Our gas delivery was late, and the people we talked to just did not recognize the urgency. I don't think anyone understands the word "professionalism" over there...

I will say to anyone and everyone do not use Kostas of the GREEK DIVING CENTER to set up any aspect of your trip. Or do any business with him whatsoever! He screwed us bad, resulting in several lost days at the beginning of the trip. He provided 22 AL80s we were to use as bailout bottles. These looked like vintage WWII surplus, the most recent hydro was '92. When I knocked out the valves (on the ones I could) there was so much grease, gunk, sand (!), and other miscellaneous gunk in them there was no way we could use them. I have NEVER seen tanks in such a sad and dangerous condition! Kostas himself bent a large wrench on a valve that was seized; he never got it off. Later, because we were in a pinch, we used three of the better tanks that we cleaned. After filling, one of them was leaking from the neck. Not the o-ring, but thru the ****ing metal!! Not cool. Offering dive gear in that sorry state is criminal in my opinion. Two compressors he supplied also did not work, losing more time for us.

The logistics, were to say the least, a nightmare. If I had any hair, I wouldve pulled it out. That being said I cannot wait to go back, with a BRITISH or ITALIAN boat and ERQUIPMENT. Having made dives on Titanic, and now Britannic, I think the lessor known sister is the real Bell of the Ball. One the of the BEST dives I have ever had was with Barney, on the Britannic! If your a wrecker, you HAVE to see this with your own eyes. FYI your first deco stop almost still on the wreck , and you can see the wreck from 200 ft! AWESOME
    Richie Kohler

"It is seldom we meet men, whose souls steeled in the impenetrable armor of resolution, are willing to fight a losing battle to the last..."
    Lord Jim, Joeseph Conrad, 1900