+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: O2 sensor test pot

S21 M.I.B. cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier's Avatar

Question O2 sensor test pot

Hi all,

Looking at the very interesting article written by Sabgia:
    http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=4923

I was wondering if someone has already built a pressure pot that could allow to test O2 sensors at a pO2 greater than 1.0

Cheers

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

Re: O2 sensor test pot

Hi Cedric,

We use them all the time in our shop. We have built a couple of dozen for others to use. At one point, we considered building them for general sale. but I wasn't sure how many people would take the time to use them.

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine.

Southern Monkey Gibbon is just really nice Gibbon is just really nice Gibbon is just really nice Gibbon is just really nice Gibbon is just really nice Gibbon is just really nice Gibbon is just really nice Gibbon is just really nice Gibbon is just really nice Gibbon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by heyydude  View Original Post
    Hi Cedric,

We use them all the time in our shop. We have built a couple of dozen for others to use. At one point, we considered building them for general sale. but I wasn't sure how many people would take the time to use them.

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine.
    Kevin,

Do you have any concerns over the speed of depressurisation causing damage to the O2 Cells?

Do you use air as well as O2?

Cheers,

Jon

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

Well, yes and no. I've blown up a few sensors in my time, but generally we rarely see it anymore. One of my early pots was built in 1995 or so, and I remember blowing up some of Mike Iswalt's sensors in it by pulling off the pressure fitting - the sensors spewed KOH all over the inside of the pot, which damaged the Aluminum. Cost me a bundle too, since I had to buy 3 more sensors...

But we use real sensors routinely in our shop, and have no problems with pressurizing them to 3 ATA over and over again.

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine.

King of the Geeks
    HAMMERHEAD!

Oh sorry - I should have read all your post. We don't use Air because the pressure would be too great to achieve higher ppO2's. You probably WOULD do more damage to the sensors by decompressing them from 6 ATM's or better.

Kevin.

Staying Silent! Mostly... Silent is a name known to all Silent is a name known to all Silent is a name known to all Silent is a name known to all Silent is a name known to all Silent is a name known to all Silent is a name known to all Silent is a name known to all Silent is a name known to all Silent is a name known to all Silent is a name known to all Silent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cedricverdier  View Original Post
    Hi all,

Looking at the very interesting article written by Sabgia:
    http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=4923

I was wondering if someone has already built a pressure pot that could allow to test O2 sensors at a pO2 greater than 1.0

Cheers
    Hi Cedric,

John Routley (Narked@90) and myself have been working on building one of these for commercial sale.

PM John for more details.

Cheers,

Neil

John Routley
    narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: O2 sensor test pot

Hi every one, as neil has said we have been working on a cell checker for comercal release and it will have CE aproval.
    the unit is a stand alone cell checker that will take your cells upto 2 bar and has built in safegards to stop the cells from bending.
    you can also plug the cell checker in to your rebreather and see po2 in real time but the cell checker dose have built in meters so you dont have to if you so wish.
    we did build one for the inspo that was a plug and play checker but the worry was the hand sets may not be able to handle the back pressure http://www.narkedat90.co.uk/37.html so the new one is a generic cell checker that will except all types of sensers and can be plugged into any rebreather

kind regards john routley
    Welcome Page
    you know...life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
    Its about learning to dance in the rain..

Supporting Shearwater Research Products in Europe

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar

I think these are a great idea - Leon has an awsome one at ISC which is big enough to fit the whole Meg head in.

So you can check out the depth sensors / where the cells are current limited and how your deco algo is working.

Stuart

King of the Geeks
    HAMMERHEAD!

CE Certified.... Heh, heh... I had to chuckle about that. No offence, of course, I was just remembering one time when I was trying to test some higher pressure stuff, and was watching the gage VERY closely (like 3" away) when "BOOM!!!" the damn thing blew up, scattering pieces of itself ALL OVER the shop (and nicking the ceiling to boot).

"Holy Cow!" said I (well, "Cow" isn't exactly right). Nothing touched me - not one tiny fragment.

So, I figured I just had a weak pot, and set up another one (I'm not lying here) - sure enough, I'm about 6" away from this one (I learned my lesson earlier), when "BOOM!!!!" this second one blew up in my face.

Again, I was untouched.

Turns out, I had a bad pressure gage, and was pumping this thing way up past where it was happy...

And what lesson did I learn from this experience?

Well, I learned that I am invincible...

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine.

John Routley
    narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90's Avatar

Hi kevin lol you lucky bugger! did you not have a safty opv fitted?
    kind regards john

Welcome Page

Quote Originally Posted by heyydude  View Original Post
    CE Certified.... Heh, heh... I had to chuckle about that. No offence, of course, I was just remembering one time when I was trying to test some higher pressure stuff, and was watching the gage VERY closely (like 3" away) when "BOOM!!!" the damn thing blew up, scattering pieces of itself ALL OVER the shop (and nicking the ceiling to boot).

"Holy Cow!" said I (well, "Cow" isn't exactly right). Nothing touched me - not one tiny fragment.

So, I figured I just had a weak pot, and set up another one (I'm not lying here) - sure enough, I'm about 6" away from this one (I learned my lesson earlier), when "BOOM!!!!" this second one blew up in my face.

Again, I was untouched.

Turns out, I had a bad pressure gage, and was pumping this thing way up past where it was happy...

And what lesson did I learn from this experience?

Well, I learned that I am invincible...

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine.
    you know...life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
    Its about learning to dance in the rain..

Supporting Shearwater Research Products in Europe