+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BLOGS - Anti spam pluging now working

Blogs Admin / Forum Mod sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven's Avatar

BLOGS - Anti spam pluging now working

The new plugin to stop blogs from being spammed now works for the following blog templates:

3-column-liquid
    almost-spring
    aubmach
    blorange
    blueish
    blufill
    Boxed
    Boxed-Green
    bubble-blue
    buddha
    cab
    connections
    darkfire
    dots
    grey
    ice
    standard
    standard_green
    standard_happy
    standard_red

In the next couple days I will update the remaining templates as well. If you have any trouble with the changes, please PM me.

Cheerio from the land downunder!

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar

Re: BLOGS - Anti spam pluging now working

Great job Sven,

When I finish upgrading templates and SEO and a few other bits and bobs I will rejog the fornt pages to get some blog entries back on them.

Stuart

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

I changed, temporarily, to one that has the anti-spam plug in. However, I was using Human Condition (I think that was the name) before, and will change back to that once the plug in is done.

Blogs Admin / Forum Mod sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven's Avatar

BLOGS - Anti spam pluging now working for ALL blog templates

All,

If you have created a blog, you may have experienced the problem with spam bots creating large numbers of comments. That is a major nuisance for many of us and one of the reasons why the blogs have been very quiet in the past couple of months.

In recent weeks, I have looked for a solution and found a suitable plugin for LifeType (the blogging software used for RBW blogs). The plugin shows a "Catcha!" - a number in front of a background picture, which the person who want to comment need to type into a field on the form. Without this number, no comment can be posted. The Catcha! is not (easily) machine readable, so only users who are alive and breathing (pun intended :)) can post comments and the spam bots are out of the picture.

The plugin is now installed and works with all blog templates.

If you want to use the new plugin, in order to allow people to comment on your blog, without being spammed by bots ... follow these instructions:

How to find out which template your blog uses and/or change it:
    (1) log on to your blog, you will get to the "Dashboard" screen
    (2) click on your blog name, next to "Login"
    (3) click on Control Centre in the menu
    (4) under "Settings", click on "Blog settings"
    (5) in the "Template" tab, the name of the chosen template is shown in the drop-down box
    (6) you can chose another template if you like
    (7) if you have selected another template, click on the "Update" button at the bottom of the page to make the change permanent

How to enable and configure the plugin
    Follow steps (1) - (3) above
    (4) in the "Plugin Centre", check the "auth_image" plugin is shown
    (5) click the "Back" button in your browser, or, select "Control centre" in the menu again
    (6) at the bottom, under "Anti Spam Management", click "AuthImage"
    (7) under "Configuration", activate the "Enable" checkbox, then set the length of the key (default is 6), select a background picture if you want (default is "sky.gif")
    (8) click on the "Update" button to make the changes permanent

Don't forget to enable comments in you blog!
    (1) Under "Control centre", "Settings", "Blog settings" you can activate the "Enable comments by default" box. This setting will be the default for all posts in your blog. If you only want to enable comments for some posts, you can do this when you create/change a post in your blog.
    (2) click on the "Update" button at the very bottom of the page in order to save the change.

Here is a list of the templates that are now working with the anti-spam plugin:
    3-column-liquid
    almost-spring
    aubmach
    blorange
    blueish
    blufill
    Boxed
    Boxed-Green
    bubble-blue
    buddha
    cab
    connections
    darkfire
    dots
    drove-all-night
    FastTrack
    flower
    flyupsky-daytime
    flyupsky-evening
    greenmarinee
    GreenTrack
    grey
    gutenberg
    human_condition
    ice
    lemons
    LiteWinter
    Mac-Stripe
    mars-spirit
    Matrix-Code
    minitemplate
    Modish
    mtplog
    ocadia
    outback
    pastel-blocks
    pink_lilies
    reic
    reic1
    roodoplog-2-column
    roodoplog-3-column
    roof
    rubric
    ShadedGrey
    silver
    SimpleRules
    simple_sky
    Soft-Blue
    Soft-Green
    Soft-Red
    splat
    spring
    standard
    standard_green
    standard_happy
    standard_red
    StreetCorner
    toni
    toto
    tribal
    v4ny8_lt
    Very-Clean
    Vicksburg
    water_play
    white
    zen

If you need help, please reply to this post or PM me. Also, if you find any problems, please let me know.

One last thing: I have not yet found an easy way to delete the existing spam comments. I'll keep you posted if anyone is interested.

Cheerio from the land of Oz!

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDadMiami  View Original Post
    I changed, temporarily, to one that has the anti-spam plug in. However, I was using Human Condition (I think that was the name) before, and will change back to that once the plug in is done.
    The "Human Condition" template is now fixed. Please try it out and let me know how it works.

BTW: Nice blog!

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar

Great job Sven....

Now is it possible fo ryou to delete all the comment spam we have recieved to date with your admin powers

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by schford  View Original Post
    Great job Sven....

Now is it possible fo ryou to delete all the comment spam we have recieved to date with your admin powers

Stuart
    Hmmm - that is a problem I am working on. An admin cannot edit/delete people's blogs and/or comments. They are protected (as they should be). But I am sure, I can find a solution in the next couple of days.

Does anyone have any objections against me trying to delete the spam comments from their blogs? If so, please PM me in the next couple of days!

Re: BLOGS - Anti spam pluging now working for ALL blog templates

Quote Originally Posted by sven  View Original Post
    All,

If you have created a blog, you may have experienced the problem with spam bots creating large numbers of comments. That is a major nuisance for many of us and one of the reasons why the blogs have been very quiet in the past couple of months.
    All,

RBW blogs have now been setup to enforce the comment anti spam plugin. If you receive an error message when posting a comment in a blog (see picture below), please PM me and I will assist you in fixing it.

You can still follow the instructions in my previous post and configure the plugin (code with more than 4 digits, different background, change the encryption key, etc)

I am now in the process of MANUALLY deleting all spam comments.

It may take a while ... as I have to go through each post individually. In order to do that, I will have to temporarily take ownership of the blog that I am working on.

You can help me:

Could all blog owners please go and delete
    • all unused posts
    • all spam track backs
    • all the spam comments
    for all of your posts?

That would be greatly appreciated! Please PM me if you want to clean up your blog yourself.

The link to my previous post has more detail on the RBW blogs & the anti spam plugin.

Cheerio!
    Attached Images

Deleting all "Congratulations" posts in blogs ...

All,

FYI: I am in the process of deleting the automatically created "Congratulations" post in all blogs, as one step in my quest to clean up the spam comments.

I assume that nobody will miss these meaningless messages?!

+ Reply to Thread