+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone advise?

In search of Law breaking Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw's Avatar
    Meggy Meg...

Got the best one from day 1...

Can anyone advise?

hello guys, hope you are well.

i am trying to find some sort of alarming my buddy while underwater. i was thinking about those underwater siren horns which connect to your inflator hose...

Can anyone advice on which is the best brand? or any other info or tip given is welcomed.

what happened was that we both use DPVs, when one stops, then is very difficult for the other one to notice and we've had an incident were in very bad visibility conditions things can go very wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Spyros

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Re: Can anyone advice?

If you dive in close proximity with a buddy (as you should, thus the term buddy :)) light is the best method for attracting attention. It is fast, instantaneous and goes a long way using the right type of light.

If you need something to find your buddy because you don't dive close enough to keep in visual contact, the u/w horns will work but based on my own experience, they don't last long. And the sound isn't loud enough to be heard over a DPV.

digital nomad GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM's Avatar
    Hyperion pSCR

IDA71, HomeBuilts, Ray, RGU/FM

Καλημέρα Σπύρο,

You can try an u/w rattle. They work well and they last for ever.

Basically it is a sealed SS tube with a couple of beads inside that make a lot of noise when you shake them. They are unbreakable ;)

HTH
    /George

In search of Law breaking Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw's Avatar
    Meggy Meg...

Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie
    If you dive in close proximity with a buddy (as you should, thus the term buddy :)) light is the best method for attracting attention. It is fast, instantaneous and goes a long way using the right type of light.

If you need something to find your buddy because you don't dive close enough to keep in visual contact, the u/w horns will work but based on my own experience, they don't last long. And the sound isn't loud enough to be heard over a DPV.
    Thanks for the advice on the buddy term!!:) well, the thing is that we were both scootering and it was very bad vis conditions and when one stops for something, how can i alert the other one that he has to stop as well. even if he checks every minute then you can still get lost.

which horns did you use? is there a specific one?

Thanks for letting me know.

Spyros

Meggy Meg...

Quote Originally Posted by GKAM
    Καλημέρα Σπύρο,

You can try an u/w rattle. They work well and they last for ever.

Basically it is a sealed SS tube with a couple of beads inside that make a lot of noise when you shake them. They are unbreakable ;)

HTH
    /George

ευχαριστώ αδελφέ,

το θέμα είναι αν θα μπορεί ο άλλος να το ακούσει όταν και οι 2 έχουμε σκούτερ...είναι αρκετά δυνατός ο ήχος του σκούτερ. τα είχα υπόψη μου, απλά σκεφτόμουν αυτές τις σειρήνες. τι λές;

Thanks bro,

Spyros

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

I understand what you are saying about scootering bad vis, as I have done it. However, after such dives, I always rethink about more scooter dives in such a condition because...

If the viz is so bad, can you see where you are going in the first place with a fast scooter ? And can you see anything (i.e. wreck, reef) while scootering in bad viz ?

When the viz is bad, swim is usually better as you could see more.

Unless you are scootering in bad viz with no reference point/surface, then I will and , but I tend to scooter closer to the seabed or side of the wreck/reef when the viz is limited. Then a simple flashing of the light beam against this reference surface should get your buddy attention.

Remember like when driving cars in convoy, it is not the responsibility of the person from behind to keep up, but for the person leading to make sure everyone behind is still within contact distance.

The person who is following simply shines his light in the sight zone of the leading person to let him/her know that s/he is still there. As soon as the leading person do not see the light spot, s/he should check.

Anyway, I can't find the exact horn used, but they were all different versions of this type here...

http://www.aquatecusa.com/ah-150.htm

They make duck-like sounds u/w, not really loud that you could hear immediately over the scooter (also depending on the type of scooter as well, Zep - forget it). I am pretty anal about my gear, but never managed to keep mine working for more than a few months when I was using them years ago.

Good luck...

Meggy Meg...

Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie  View Original Post
    I understand what you are saying about scootering bad vis, as I have done it. However, after such dives, I always rethink about more scooter dives in such a condition because...

If the viz is so bad, can you see where you are going in the first place with a fast scooter ? And can you see anything (i.e. wreck, reef) while scootering in bad viz ?

When the viz is bad, swim is usually better as you could see more.

Unless you are scootering in bad viz with no reference point/surface, then I will and , but I tend to scooter closer to the seabed or side of the wreck/reef when the viz is limited. Then a simple flashing of the light beam against this reference surface should get your buddy attention.

Remember like when driving cars in convoy, it is not the responsibility of the person from behind to keep up, but for the person leading to make sure everyone behind is still within contact distance.

The person who is following simply shines his light in the sight zone of the leading person to let him/her know that s/he is still there. As soon as the leading person do not see the light spot, s/he should check.

Anyway, I can't find the exact horn used, but they were all different versions of this type here...

http://www.aquatecusa.com/ah-150.htm

They make duck-like sounds u/w, not really loud that you could hear immediately over the scooter (also depending on the type of scooter as well, Zep - forget it). I am pretty anal about my gear, but never managed to keep mine working for more than a few months when I was using them years ago.

Good luck...
    Thanks again deco,

we did a dive on zenobia, then we decided to scooter to the shore...because of the bottom layout, and bad vis, things got tough and one could get easily lost from the other. even lighting does not help in daylight condition. i know what you are talking about, but believe me, this was not the case. we are even thinking about having a full face mask with radio comms inside. any advice on which is best for those?:)

Cheers anyway. after all , this is what the forum is all about right?

Safe,

Spyros

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw  View Original Post
    ...we are even thinking about having a full face mask with radio comms inside. any advice on which is best for those?:)
    Funny that you asked. No advice there since I am in the middle of doing some research myself at the moment.

I bought a nice FFM with an OTS comm set, but haven't tested it since I am not quite sold on the FFM yet. At least not at the moment since it is very hot right now where I live.

And I am trying to get hold of another system that I think might work better for me... (Hint! hint! you know who you are :))

...after all , this is what the forum is all about right?
    Exactly. Safe diving...

RBW Member RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan's Avatar
    Meg

CCR Dolphin

I did find it, its in pdf, PM me your email address (i seem to have lost it) and I will send it to ya

New Member Jim Brown is an unknown quantity at this point Jim Brown's Avatar

Greetings:

Your risk - benefit analysis might indicate that physical connection in the form of a buddy line would be useful. These are standard for tactical dives in zero visibility and / or blacked out conditions.

Risk - entanglement. There are conditions where I would have to think twice about using one, particularly around a lot of vertical structure, like a wreck, inside or outside. But in that case one lays a line. I have used a buddy line on a wreck in zero viz, however, and it wasn't so bad. Just have to be prepared for the occasional snag. This is a planned contingency anyway so it's a non-event in that case.

Benefit - you stay together.

The team identifies a leader and a follower. Normally traveling side-by-side, the leader navigates and sets pace, the follower tends the line and watches hazards for leader. If in trail, a floating poly line would tend to rise when slack. Some types of line tend to stay unfouled better than others.

Will it work for scooter? Don't know, haven't tried it. But I have been on a bud line with 4 swim pairs, that's 8 divers, at night in blacked out conditions... mid-water and on bottom. Works if everyone cooperates and keeps things sorted out. Which is exactly what you should be doing anyway, no matter the travel means or velocity... as long as you're proposing to stay together. Doing it with 2 divers is easy.

Why not experiment in good conditions, work out your protocols including recovering from snag? Try 8 or 12mm yellow poly line. Make sure the scooter props are caged. Bring 5m of line under water, try different lengths... 2m, 3m and so forth. Side-by-side and trail formation.

A buddy line might be carried only for contingency purposes, used only if needed.

Regards, Jim Brown
    Last edited by Jim Brown; 27th August 2006 at 09:00.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast