+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Retrieving artifacts from wrecks

Custom Title Allowed! Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia's Avatar

Retrieving artifacts from wrecks

Hello all,

What is your policy in your country for retrieving artifacts from wrecks? Here in Malta if you retrieve something, anything from a wreck you end up facing the police and in court! In uk I heard something about the reciver of the wreck, how does it work and what are your views?

not RBW staff. EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sports kiss, dolphin

Re: Retrieving artifacts from wrecks

Holiday diver denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel's Avatar

It's only illegal if you get caught.. :D

Denz.

Custom Title Allowed! Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by denzel
    It's only illegal if you get caught.. :D

Denz.
    Why don't you expaline this to nearly all my friends , here Police are taking this very seriously

RBW Member mortenkjerulff has a spectacular aura about mortenkjerulff has a spectacular aura about mortenkjerulff has a spectacular aura about mortenkjerulff has a spectacular aura about mortenkjerulff has a spectacular aura about mortenkjerulff has a spectacular aura about mortenkjerulff's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Farrugia
    Hello all,

What is your policy in your country for retrieving artifacts from wrecks? Here in Malta if you retrieve something, anything from a wreck you end up facing the police and in court! In uk I heard something about the reciver of the wreck, how does it work and what are your views?
    Hi Pierre.

Here in Denmark you are not allowed to tuch anything older than 100 years. If the artifacts are less than 100 years old you can ask the local authorities if you may salvage them.

My personal view is to leave the artifacts where they are.

Morten

RBW Member MGI is on a distinguished road MGI is on a distinguished road MGI's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mortenkjerulff
    My personal view is to leave the artifacts where they are.

Morten
    I agree Morten. Perhaps the only reason why it was there for you to look at was that someone else hadn't removed it. ;)

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar

God Spidge hunting is a national past time for diver sin the UK - there would be uproar if you couldn't - why else owuld you try and find new wrecks if not to grab the bell ;)

Closed Account onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime's Avatar

Here in the US it can vary by wreck site and location. Some examples:
    • Wrecks in the Great Lakes are protected from artifact hunting
    • Wrecks off the coast of NY/NJ that I've visited are, in general, not protected but there are some exceptions like a couple of locomotives that have been arrested by a group claiming they are historically significant so no salvage operations (including any artifact gathering) can take place on them without the approval of the group that had them arrested
    • I believe US Navy ships are still claimed by the government as property
    • Then there are foreign "owned" wrecks like the U853 which is considered a war grave that the German govt would prefer nothing be gathered from (in fact they don't particularly like divers visiting if the stories I've read/heard are true)
    Of course, there are no authorities at the sites and in many cases the only time the authorities get involved are after the fact when someone reports the artifact gathering. Many people take their chances.

--Paul
    Last edited by onetime; 22nd August 2006 at 13:12.

RBW Member MGI is on a distinguished road MGI is on a distinguished road MGI's Avatar

In Canada salvage rights are somewhat complicated. The owner is legally responsible for any pollution caused by the wreck, the cost of any lifesaving effort, as well as possible hazards to other shipping. Certain wrecks and diving areas are protected by Provincial law. Like I said, complicated... :)

RBW Member Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan's Avatar

In the UK the Reciever of Wreck works basically like this:

You can dive on wrecks that are not designated as protected sites. On these sites if you recover something, it is your duty to report the salvage to the Receiver of Wreck (ROW), telling them where you got it, a description of the artifact, your salvage costs and a few more bits of information - this is done on a form, that you need to get witnessed by another person. You send them this form, then they have the job of finding out the rightful owner of the artifact (or theperson who has the salvage rights) - they have 1 year to do this. If within that year, they find the owner, and the owner says they want the artifact - then you are entitled to charge the owner a salvage fee to cover your costs. If no owner is found, or the owner does not want the artifact, then you are free to keep it legitimately.

For items like portholes, where your salvage cost may be hundreds of pounds the chances of an owner actually wanting the artifact is pretty slim (I generally put down my salvage fee as the cost of the boat for the day, my fuel driving to the boat, my gas costs, sofnolime, lunch etc etc. I don't include depreciation of my rebreather or any portion of my training costs to be able to dive the wreck, but theoretically you could include these). The more significant or valuable the find, the more likely that it is that you will be paid for it instead of being able to keep it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast