+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: courses

Classic KISS Pilot Rickoz has a spectacular aura about Rickoz has a spectacular aura about Rickoz has a spectacular aura about Rickoz has a spectacular aura about Rickoz has a spectacular aura about Rickoz has a spectacular aura about Rickoz's Avatar
    Classic KISS

Question courses

Ok guys & gals 1st of all i'm NOT wreck trained.
    I was on a boat today www.esperancestar.com.au & talking to some divers about wreck courses.
    I said i didn't know of anyone that i could think of that i would want to teach me in my local area.
    You know not the P.../N... STD textbook course, I'd rather travel to a Real Wreck Diver Trainer & 1 that Hopefully would teach you more than textbook stuff, but 1 who would give more of the real life lessons that can only be given by a rust lover.

The only person that comes to my mind would be Barry @ Aquamarine in Vanuatu.
    Or maybe Stuart Cannon From Victora Australia

So my Q is
    1a 1b: Did or Would you travel to get a Course.
    2a 2b: Who or Why did you choose that Trainer.
    3: Would you do it again with that Wreck Trainer.

Decodiver
    I travelled from the UK to the States to do my Megalodon Mixed Gas crossover and get Instructor authorisation from Leon at ISC.

So the answer is yes, I would travel to get good instruction.

Unfortunately I will not teach Wreck Penetration in the UK as the HSE guidelines make it way too difficult for me to teach it, apart from on the Scylla, so forget it, I might as well use the Stanegarth at Stoney..............No way

Cheers,

Dave Cooper.

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar
    I travelled to the States to get my Meg instruction with Leon and yup would do it again.

In fact we are back out in August to the trimix with him, when I do a few other bits and bobs for him...I am also seriously tempted to do a wreck course with him up around Vancouver Island....

I think if you want the best you have to be prepared to travel, I think with instruction as most things in life you get what you pay for.

Stuart

Bob.P robprice is an unknown quantity at this point robprice's Avatar

Try this

The other alternative to is to do a cave cse.
    I did this this and it helps with simler skills.
    Shows line laying methods also lost drills and so on.

Robprice

Administrator ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robprice
    The other alternative to is to do a cave cse.
    Quote Originally Posted by robprice
    I did this this and it helps with simler skills.
    Shows line laying methods also lost drills and so on.

Robprice

This Rob would have to agree with that Rob! A full Cave Course from a good instructor is the best overhead environment penetration training that you can possibly get.

Then, for specific difficult wrecks, get with the locals who have been poking around on the one you're interested in for the "hot tips"!

Rob Davie

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Decodiver
    ...to do my Megalodon Mixed Gas crossover and get Instructor authorisation from Leon...
    Is this an agency requirement in lieu of a Meg Instructor Trainer ?

Or is it SOP to become a Meg Instructor with Leon ?

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar
    I believe and I might be wrong that Leon has to authorise all the Instructors for the Meg....

Stuart

Decodiver
    Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie
    Is this an agency requirement in lieu of a Meg Instructor Trainer ?

Or is it SOP to become a Meg Instructor with Leon ?
    Hi Phi,

As an IT I travelled to do the user crossover only, Leon assessed me and given previous experience agreed that upon a number of criteria being subsequently met that I would be factory authorised to teach upto CCR Mixed Gas on the unit.

There are only 3 factory authorised Instructors in Europe, myself, Chris Hutchison and Joerg Hess.

Cheers,

Dave.

Smelling Dairy Air Bear has a spectacular aura about Bear has a spectacular aura about Bear has a spectacular aura about Bear has a spectacular aura about Bear has a spectacular aura about Bear has a spectacular aura about Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickoz
    I'd rather travel to a Real Wreck Diver Trainer & 1 that Hopefully would teach you more than textbook stuff, but 1 who would give more of the real life lessons that can only be given by a rust lover.

The only person that comes to my mind would be Barry @ Aquamarine in Vanuatu.
    Or maybe Stuart Cannon From Victora Australia
    Hi Rick,
    I wondered why you stayed outside of the wrecks at Curtin Artificial last time I was up there. The two that you have picked would be fairly decent instructors athough Barry may be spoilt for choice by having had done so many dives on the President Coolidge.:D

The biggest problem down here (Melbourne) is that the weather "windows" can be fairly narrow and we are frequently blown out or have poor visibility. So your choices would range between having a course in warm water and pretty good vis or spending a week (or more) down here, putting up with swell/shitty conditions through to not being able to get in the water anywhere decent and if you did, it can be bloody cold as well. Ask Steve about his "first" attempt down here trying to complete a course with Stuart Cannon.

I was fortunate to be asked to come along for a few dives to take photos of course participants, going through their paces, by Barrie Heard (head of IANTD Australasia www.iantd.com.au) during a wreck course and an Adv Nitrox/Technical Diver course. This link will give you an idea of what some of the training involved (especially the J4 (26m) and J2 (39m) images): www.victech.org/iantd/index.htm

I wouldn't hesitate in recommending Barrie as an Instructor as he is also qualified as a CDAA Penetration Instructor and has many years of experience diving on the wrecks down here. Barrie is also experienced with rebreathers as well.

Cheers

Dude Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Decodiver
    Unfortunately I will not teach Wreck Penetration in the UK as the HSE guidelines make it way too difficult for me to teach it, apart from on the Scylla, so forget it, I might as well use the Stanegarth at Stoney
    Why is that? please elaborate a little more. I am interested, what is special about the Scylla?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast