When Leon was up here a couple of weeks ago he left me a copis head to play with. I guess since I was already a KISS and a CCR/Dolphin diver he figured the copis should be easy to figure out (OK at least I already had a non-compensated 1st stage). Here are my impressions of my first dive using the copi.
For those who don't already know copis stands for continuous oxygen pressure injection system and it works like some other rebreathers of this nature that add a set flow of oxygen to replace the divers resting inspired O2 and the diver must manually add O2 to suppliment depending on the workload.
The copis head looks very much like a standard meg head with a single wire leading to the hand set and no HUD or secondary. The handset consists of 3 LCD readouts and are calibrated digitally not manually (using pots). It also has wet connectors to prevent accidentally changing the calibration in water.
I installed the first stage from my CCR/Dolphin which was used with a kiss valve and therefore had the IP compensation blocker installed. After installing all the MEG hoses and filling the scubber I began a 30min couch dive. The objective there was to get an IP setting on the first stage that resulted in a stable PPO2 under resting conditions. What I was looking for was a PPO2 that was either constant or falling slightly. I eventually obtained that for a steady 10 minutes (actually the phone always rings when I do this so I did it twice).
After getting my PPO2 stable I hooked up an IP gauge and measured 150psi exactly. That was slightly higher than the setting with my KISS valve.
Last night I dove the unit at the Ogden Point Breakwater in Victoria. It is a really nice dive with a gradually sloping bottom that starts at about 20ft and maxes out at about 80ft. Perfect location for my test. The other bonus that I wasn't expecting was the tide. There was a fair ebb tide pushing us out to the end of breakwater. Once I got settled in at about 30ft I was reading a PPO2 of about .9 so I tapped the O2 on the right CL and watched my monitors. One thing I still have to get used to on the meg is the lag time between manual O2 addition and it hitting the sensors. It only took a couple more taps to get the process dialed in. Actually during my training Leon insisted that we set our unit to 1.2 but keep it at 1.3 manually. This made flying the copis rather intuitive and far less task loading than I expected. After about 35 minutes it was time to turn. We were now swimming against the tide and it was a bit of work. Also since we were now beginning a gradual ascent I had to watch PPO2 more closely. I need to learn to vent then add while ascending since I dive with only enough weight to keep a minimum amount in my CL. During the trip back I let my PPO2 drop to 1.0 when my buddy stopped to harrass a crab. Other than that it was a pretty easy task to keep things in check.
This unit has no redundancy for displays and so if there was a malfunction of PPO2 monitoring I guess OC bailout is the only option. With a HUD or back-up monitoring system this would be a more versatile unit but as it stands it is a simple, very easy to use alternative to the ECCR meg.
I will continue to dive it for a few more days at least until thursday when I have a deco dive planned then it's back to the regular MEG
I need to put on my check-off list ___remove IP blocker