+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice needed from santi heated undersuit users

Advice needed from santi heated undersuit users

Ok, this is my first post so go easy on me.

I like to dive all year round and really feel the cold, during winter I use a 250g undersuit with a set of thin thermals and a thermolution heated vest, this is just about nice but seems a bit messy, and the big one is my hands are always really cold!

So I thought I would invest in the Santi heated suit with heated gloves thinking I would be able to rid the thermal layer and vest, just one battery to worry about. the santi suit has extra 150g of insulation and this would take in to account me loosing the vest and layer of thermals.

I have already ordered the suit a couple of weeks ago, but to my surprise I read today that the santi undersuit still needs a thin layer between the skin and the undersuit, why would somebody design a heated thick undersuit like this only to have to wear another layer too??
    Anyway, who has this suit and wears the extra layer?

TIA

Re: Advice needed from santi heated undersuit users

I use a very very thin layer. The reason for that is that they don't want your skin to touch the heating so close.

It's ok. I did notice that I require a huge amount of additional weight because of the undersuite

RBW Member fullytek is an unknown quantity at this point fullytek's Avatar
    megabastard

You need to dive adequate insulation to survive the environment and efficiently decompress in the event that the meeting system fails.

You might be pissed off but you won't be bent or hypothermic

Banned sailor is on a distinguished road sailor is on a distinguished road sailor's Avatar
    TR300c hCCR, Ray mCCR

Dolphin, Inspiration Vision

Another things is how often do you want to wash your heated undersuit?
    If wearing a thin pair of underwear underneath you can wash that one rather than washing your heated undersuit.
    Even if suitable for washing the washing will wear out the electrical components sooner or later.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg + sidewinder

I always wear long underwear, it stinks pretty quick. It gets washed often.

If me heat failed on a deco dive I would be cold, but survive. From the sounds of it you would be seriously hypothermic, I would look into additional upgrades to your hood and drygloves; you need to be able to deco out/survive if the heat fails.

RBW Member tbone1004 is an unknown quantity at this point tbone1004's Avatar
    Greenville, South Carolina, United States
    Meg

Homebuilt

merino wool baselayer. Cheap ish, doesn't smell, soaks up sweat. Ideal. It's a t-shirt, not an undergarment. Just go to REI and pick one up that's tight ish fitting

John H Hanzl johnnyh is an unknown quantity at this point johnnyh's Avatar
    rEvo Micro III

Sentinel Expedition Travel

I was going for the full heated Santi suit, but then opted for the Santi vest and gloves with a 20Ah lithium battery. I wear vest under the Santi Bz 400x suit. Feel it provides best flexibility- start season with just BZ, then add in vest as needed - then gloves. I find the battery pretty much offsets vest an gloves - so weighting doesn’t change. Opted for a handheld primary light to not dual up canister /need two. Works out well. Find how you set up dry gloves makes a difference. Need at least 1.5” off cuff to have easy connection point to gloves without hitting glive ring (I use ScubaForce Thenar system).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    John Hanzl

Author, Out of Hell's Kitchen
    www.outofhellskitchen.com

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

I dive regularly in low 40's high 30's, and have a canister primary light (20ah Light monkey), and a 32ah battery pack, as a 20ah is too low for a 3.5-4 hour dive, even with a vest.

Wear blue smurf gloves, and in addition wear these silk theramar liners. Keeps hands from freezing. For hood, a Ko1 hood, or waterproof 10/5.

Feet, wicking sock, merlino socks (REI Expedition) and 5mm neoprene socks over that. Keeps my feet from freezing as well.

But I still wear a pretty heavy layering of garments, UA compression, UA Base Layer 4 and UA Base Layer 5. Then a Thermal Fusion over that.

If vest/battery fails, I'm warm enough to deco out 1 hour if I have to, it wont be pleasant, but doable.

Short version: washing that kind of undershirt is a PITA.
    So you need an extra layer to avoid to dirty it.

+ Reply to Thread