+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Is a rebreather for me

RBW Member chaetodon is an unknown quantity at this point chaetodon's Avatar
    none

Re: Is a rebreather for me

Quote Originally Posted by Gobfish1  View Original Post
    that's so funny, I downloaded this yesterday and just started reading it when you give me the link. Heads up !

none

give this one a go m8 ,
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...Vw1osFGwCqn-A4

im not a fan of rules and badges my self , and see nothing wrong with a bit of self learning ,
    after reading the above i was happy to take my unit in the water , did the noddy1 just to have someone say yes your doing it the right way .

turned out grasshopper know more than the master , but i had a nice weeks diving. so all was not lost , just had to play dum for the week lol

you can alway pm me if you want to ask something , off line please due to liability issues
    I can see by your Avatar your a layed back easy going type of guy. I used to do a lot of spearfishing in my early teens, then bought a scuba tank in 1974. Jumped in the river and started using it. At first this was a strange feeling, second fill I was getting used to it, then started crayfishing. Never looked back. Rules came in years later but I avoided having lessons. Why pay for something that is now second nature. Started professional aquarium fish collecting soon after and have done this ever since. One lucky bugger being able to do this to make a living. Downside is I have to dive in some shit conditions sometimes to keep enough cash flow for my food supply.

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

Quote Originally Posted by chaetodon  View Original Post
    that's so funny, I downloaded this yesterday and just started reading it when you give me the link. Heads up !

one more just so you know what your getting in to
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...-fOyPw8azScW4s

none

one more just so you know what your getting in to
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...-fOyPw8azScW4s
    Thanks for the pictures of the graveyard. I have been terrified of doing this all my life because its been ingrained in me RBs kill. Lately I see so many people are doing it, technology is getting better, maybe its not all bad, I will have a peek. I will read this and have a rethink. I am getting in to this to improve my fish catch and make a living. I cant think why anyone would want to do it for fun. Then again I used to skydive when I was younger, no other reason except fun. What is wrong with me??

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

Quote Originally Posted by chaetodon  View Original Post
    Thanks for the pictures of the graveyard. I have been terrified of doing this all my life because its been ingrained in me RBs kill. Lately I see so many people are doing it, technology is getting better, maybe its not all bad, I will have a peek. I will read this and have a rethink. I am getting in to this to improve my fish catch and make a living. I cant think why anyone would want to do it for fun. Then again I used to skydive when I was younger, no other reason except fun. What is wrong with me??
    graveyard is a good place to learn , only a few ways to kill your self on a breather
    but the gravestones keep comming and divers keep killing them selfs the same few ways.
    bar the odd one that invents a new way .

ccr is simple , just a few rules needed , to stay safe ,
    enjoy .

RBW Member Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT RMS

Poseidon Discovery Mark VI

Hi Chaetodon,
    Iíve moved to rebreathers in 2011 for the exact same reasons as you, except i am not professional, just a hobbyist, but these are greeeeat tools for underwater photography.
    FWIW my ę*tool*Ľ is a rEvo micro CCR, with a Nerd hud that keeps all what i need to know visible at all times.
    Not the cheapest unit but does the job well. Since youíve mentioned self service-ability as a criteria, iíll point out that this unit doesnít include any mysterious head that needs to be shipped away for servicing. I can fix many things myself.
    I suggest you look at their website since the user manual is free access and explains all about how the unit works and is designed. They also have nice papers applicable whatever the rebreather (understanding O2 cells, for instance).

If money is an issue iíd second othersí recommendations to try a cheap used unit and see after a few months how you like it.
    If money isnít big issue i suggest you try 2-3 units and buy the one where youíve got best feeling, and also the one whose design choices best answers the things that scare/concern you in RB diving.
    Some people will swear Megs are best, some will say the same for Inspos or rEvos etc but ultimately NO ONE can claim a given rb design is best robus at all potential rb failures / issues, Itís a matter of design priorities.
    I was actually terrified by rb diving (but so excited) when i took the decision to jump in this world, but i found the rEvo to bring satisfactory responses to the key concerns i had and by choosing this unit i was much more confident (still scared to some extent).
    Another thing to note for rEvo: itís one of the lightest units (comparing units with same set of tanks) but since itís mostly metal (titanium or stainless steel) itís much less buoyant. I dropped 4 kg of lead when moving from poseidon mkVI to rEvo micro titanium.
    In Queensland that means youíd be likely wearing no weights, whereas the unit ready to dive wouldnít weight much more than a 15L + bcd + regs.
    Happy browsing!
    Nicolas

Envoyť de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

RBW Member Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT RMS

Poseidon Discovery Mark VI

Hi Chaetodon,
    Iíve moved to rebreathers in 2011 for the exact same reasons as you, except i am not professional, just a hobbyist, but these are greeeeat tools for underwater photography.
    FWIW my ę*tool*Ľ is a rEvo micro CCR, with a Nerd hud that keeps all what i need to know visible at all times.
    Not the cheapest unit but does the job well. Since youíve mentioned self service-ability as a criteria, iíll point out that this unit doesnít include any mysterious head that needs to be shipped away for servicing. I can fix many things myself.
    I suggest you look at their website since the user manual is free access and explains all about how the unit works and is designed. They also have nice papers applicable whatever the rebreather (understanding O2 cells, for instance).

If money is an issue iíd second othersí recommendations to try a cheap used unit and see after a few months how you like it.
    If money isnít big issue i suggest you try 2-3 units and buy the one where youíve got best feeling, and also the one whose design choices best answers the things that scare/concern you in RB diving.
    Some people will swear Megs are best, some will say the same for Inspos or rEvos etc but ultimately NO ONE can claim a given rb design is best robus at all potential rb failures / issues, Itís a matter of design priorities.
    I was actually terrified by rb diving (but so excited) when i took the decision to jump in this world, but i found the rEvo to bring satisfactory responses to the key concerns i had and by choosing this unit i was much more confident (still scared to some extent).
    Another thing to note for rEvo: itís one of the lightest units (comparing units with same set of tanks) but since itís mostly metal (titanium or stainless steel) itís much less buoyant. I dropped 4 kg of lead when moving from poseidon mkVI to rEvo micro titanium.
    In Queensland that means youíd be likely wearing no weights, whereas the unit ready to dive wouldnít weight much more than a 15L + bcd + regs.
    Happy browsing!
    Nicolas

Envoyť de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

Well maybe we are just lucky in Germany then, but given the numbers circulating it still might be a good idea to do a trip..
    In either Germany and Egypt you can get an IANTD Mod 1 for 400 EUR with your own sheit and app. 500 EUR with rental stuff..

ybod

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrogenius  View Original Post
    Well maybe we are just lucky in Germany then, but given the numbers circulating it still might be a good idea to do a trip..
    In either Germany and Egypt you can get an IANTD Mod 1 for 400 EUR with your own sheit and app. 500 EUR with rental stuff..
    did mine in sharm in 2005 times are hard for dive shops out there so i would think cost are
    low and regs are even lower , its a one man show for teaching no need for stand by divers and all the bollox

i posted it was 650 but thinking back i had a few more dive after course ,
    may have been 500 uk pounda , and the 150 was more boat dives after ,

400EUR is v cheap , 5 days and 8 dives , Germany will need a stand by diver
    Last edited by Gobfish1; 7th February 2018 at 14:33.

none

Hmmm. Reading the AP classic manual and early on I see the first stumbling block for me is these rb's like lateral travel. Common sense physics of buoyancy I suppose, but I use the water column a great deal stalking fish and rising quickly to hover up to 10 feet above them (sometimes 15-20 feet) then scooting down to net them, inhale to rise and exhale to drop. There is a bit of table tennis and mexican standoff action when I stalk and finally spook one in to the net. The big problem for me I see is I need both hands free when I am doing this action. This is going to require developing some refined technique if I have to exhale out of the loop and add diluent at the same time I swoop down. I am probably doing this stalking action more so not to scare the fish from my bubbles on SSBA or OC. Over the years I am not conscious to why I am doing this but it works. A lot of rethinking to do and the only way to know is practice and try it. Like Bazza said it will be like being a novice all over again. I am only early in to the book but I see these mobility issues will be my biggest challenge. I just need to evolve two more sets of hands. Unless I can add diluent with a hand trigger or maybe by having more breaths in the bag initially. I cant see any problems so far with reading PPO2 and setpoints, maintaining gear etc. Just a headache if water is getting in. Any suggestions anyone ??

I am not concerned about wasting diluent or O2, I have it by the bucketful as long as I don't empty it in one long dive.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast