+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Drysuit inflation

RBW Member moteman is an unknown quantity at this point moteman's Avatar
    Optima

Drysuit inflation

Which method of drysuit inflation is preferred, on-board dil, bailout or dedicated tank w/reg? Drysuit inflation doesn't use much air, so for simplicity I would think either OB dil or BO would be fine, but for redundancy, the dedicated tank might be preferred. Each methods has pros and cons (simplicity, ease of mounting, safety). What is everyone else using?

RBW Member ECho is on a distinguished road ECho is on a distinguished road ECho's Avatar
    rEvo Micro FT

Meg

Re: Drysuit inflation

For me, it would depend in the dive. If it's neither very deep, nor very cold, I plug into my bailout, because it's simple...
    If the dive requires helium in the BO, or if I feel the need for thicker than normal undergarments, I'll use a 0.6L inflator bottle... it doesn't waste expensive gas in the former case and equates to a couple of pounds of extra lead in the latter...

HTH

RBW Member mick4707 is an unknown quantity at this point mick4707's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

0.9L with reg for the drysuit only. My rich BO has a whip on it as a back up

Hammermeg, Copis2, Kiss divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe's Avatar
    Meg 2.7, Hammermeg, copis meg

Kiss Sport, Draeger dolphin

Dedicated bottle 6cuft air filled. Dill bottle are mostly filled with trimix which is a chilling suit inflation gas. Bail bottles have lp whips as backup.
    Gabe

Optima

Ok, maybe I should have clarified. I am normox certified, diving no deeper than 165ft and my bailout has 32% EAN. I live and dive mostly in FL in waters that rarely get colder than 65F, so it's unlikely I'll be wearing thick undies. I hope maybe this extra info will help the discussion. Also, if it helps, I'm diving a DR O2ptima. My personal inclination is to plug in to my BO.

Thanks
    Mike
    Last edited by moteman; 7th January 2018 at 12:01.

RBW Member DaleHawerchuck is an unknown quantity at this point DaleHawerchuck's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

I have been through the same reflection as you recently.

I have tried the standard CCR configuration for many years (everything plugged on dil on-board cylinder, BO not plugged unless required, with no separate inflation cylinder).

Then I added an AL9 to my setup (butt mounted on a frame), which was now feeding only my drysuit. It works but it's a little more management cause you now have 3 little guys (O2, dil, inflation) to refill on a regular basis.

I have always looked at dual O2 configurations as an option. My thinking was that I was carrying 5 cylinders on me (including 2 BO) and only had one O2 tank. I could use 4 cylinders on the dil/inflation sides but only one for O2..

A friend from FL convinced me to try a configuration that some guys here use for deeper and/or exploration cave dives: one on-board tank for O2, one on-board tank for inflation (feeding dry and wing only, filled with either air or Argon), butt mounted AL9 used as redundant O2, and BO tanks feeding dil thru a QC6.

It is not a very typical configuration, but it does all I want to achieve: redundant O2, inflation on dedicated bottle (so no mix into dry or wing)**, smaller tank not used unless there is an emergency (one less tank to fill), decent size tank use for inflation (less worried for up and down caves for example).

I would not use that configuration unless carrying 2 BO tanks, and ideally all should have a unit gas feeding connection (e.g. QC6) AND LP connectors to feed wing and drysuit if required. I need to try it for a few weeks to see if I like it but in theory it really makes a lot of sense for me and kind of diving I do.

**Putting trimix in your drysuit is not only a problem heating wise, there is a theoretical possibility of isobaric counter diffusion through the skin if breathing Nitrox at the same time, that could eventually lead to a DCS

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

RBW Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Being one of those idiots that needs to learn everything the hard way, I have had many experiences that made it necessary to us my offboard whips to either plug into my own unit or anothers unit due to loss of gas, bad planning, or equipment malfunctions.

Try to manage moving the same hose back and forth between your drysuit, wing, and MAV only to find that your buddy just lost their dil too.

With all that said, and no further discussion on how awesome a diver I must be, I have found great comfort in having a separate suit inflation bottle. Yes, it can be a PITA to constantly refill it, so I now have 2 of them so I can stretch it out between fills.

RBW Member ECho is on a distinguished road ECho is on a distinguished road ECho's Avatar
    rEvo Micro FT

Meg

If your bailout is 32%, and you're not in an overhead environment, I'd just plug into the bailout. It's a simple enough configuration, and it gives you independent, redundant buoyancy control.

Optima

Thanks everyone for your input! I was inclining towards using my BO, even though a separate bottle is the most preferred system. Hopefully I won't encounter a gas management issue like Dsix36 describes. I'm using two separate QC hoses on my BO, one for drysuit inflation and second to plug into my offboard connection for Dil/dil MAV, wing and BOV, should I need the extra gas, and an second stage w/long hose for donor/emergency use. Otherwise only the DS is hooked up to the BO.
    Last edited by moteman; 7th January 2018 at 17:46.

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Quote Originally Posted by moteman  View Original Post
    Thanks everyone for your input! I was inclining towards using my BO, even though a separate bottle is the most preferred system. Hopefully I won't encounter a gas management issue like Dsix36 describes. I'm using two separate QC hoses on my BO, one for drysuit inflation and second to plug into my offboard connection for Dil/dil MAV, wing and BOV, should I need the extra gas, and an second stage w/long hose for donor/emergency use. Otherwise only the DS is hooked up to the BO.
    One piece of the puzzle not addressed here- using the same bottle of (choose preferred gas) whatever for both drysuit and wing: You have just created a single failure point- one first stage- for both of your buoyancy sources.

Many who dive dry consider their suit as their backup buoyancy source. Some will say when diving CCR you can manage buoyancy w/ your counterlungs. Yes, sort of, but I'd hate like hell to have to manage a one hour open water deco (no shot line) while doing it. And yes, off board whips can **eventually** get plugged in as backup to a failed or empty suit gas bottle. That's fine in a non-critical situation, but anyone who has gone negatively buoyant and begun riding that express elevator to very deep water, all while managing their rapidly changing breathing gas / ppO2, will get WHY having a second button you can press NOW is important. Thinking you will be able, in that situation, to quickly unplug, locate a backup whip, and get it plugged in is strictly wishful thinking.

My personal choice: I have several 6 cf @ 2216 psi bottles that I use for suit gas. They can be refilled several times from a standard 3000 psi 80 cf tank. I generally can get 2 dives in the 50 to 70 m range from one bottle. My wing is connected to my dil bottle. The first stages sold for suit gas bottles- some call them Argon regs- are dirt simple and about as bullet proof as regs can get.

Simply my $0.02. YMMV.

Ken

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast