+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: To NERD or not to NERD

RBW Member ECho is on a distinguished road ECho is on a distinguished road ECho's Avatar
    rEvo Micro FT

Meg

Re: To NERD or not to NERD

Quote Originally Posted by DaleHawerchuck  View Original Post
    Can anybody confirm that?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Edit: It is saying so in the NERD 2 user manual.
    That is correct. The NERD, NERD2 and Petrel 2 EXT all can monitor two cells. IIRC, the two cell functionality was added to the Petrel, via firmware update, right after the NERD was released.

On my unit, I have the NERD as a monitor of two cells... my dive buddy has a new unit which has a hardwired NERD2 in the same configuration. One interesting thing about the NERD2 is that it eliminates the “brick” in the middles of the cable (so, nothing to strap to the loop hoses or frame) by using a rechargeable battery within the NERD2 itself. This does require that one remember to maintain the state of charge in the battery - no last minute swapping of a AA. However, Shearwater does give a very nice USB charging pack that can also charge your cell phone.

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

Quote Originally Posted by ECho  View Original Post
    That is correct. The NERD, NERD2 and Petrel 2 EXT all can monitor two cells. IIRC, the two cell functionality was added to the Petrel, via firmware update, right after the NERD was released.

Given the NERD 1 is essentially a Petrel 1 should this not be also possible for Petrel 1?
    Would be also interesting to know if there was any such option for Predator..

RBW Member ECho is on a distinguished road ECho is on a distinguished road ECho's Avatar
    rEvo Micro FT

Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrogenius  View Original Post
    Given the NERD 1 is essentially a Petrel 1 should this not be also possible for Petrel 1?
    Would be also interesting to know if there was any such option for Predator..
    Actually, the NERD 1 is essentially a Petrel 2... it has the compass and improved Bluetooth circuitry. I know that there is enough difference in the guts between the Petrel 1 and Petrel 2 to preclude backwards compatibility of several of the updates. I don’t know for sure, but I’m guessing that 2 cell monitoring falls into that category.

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

Quote Originally Posted by ECho  View Original Post
    Actually, the NERD 1 is essentially a Petrel 2... .
    True.. I remember now..
    and difference between Nerd 1 and 2 is that 2 does not need the box anymore..

RBW Member beldridg is an unknown quantity at this point beldridg's Avatar
    rEvo III Micro hCCR + rMS

Yes, I'm doing this (but with a Nerd 1 since the 2 wasn't available when I ordered my unit).

Petrel controller on the CANBus with 3 cells and Nerd 1 monitoring two cells.

Having a compass, pO2 and deco stop information available with just a glance is really nice.

- brett

Quote Originally Posted by Semaj  View Original Post
    I am also considering a Nerd 2 to replace my Dream P.

Are any rEvo divers using the Nerd2 (non CANBus version) solely as a replacement for the dream? Monitoring the two cells that would be on the dream. This would also be the backup dive computer and allow me remove the standalone back up computer from my arm.

Can you get the Nerd 2 that is not a CANBus controller with wet matable connections? I don't want to stuff around with fischer connectors.

I have the predator controller and am happy keep that as the primary controller.

The added bonus I see is that I can keep a better eye on the MV of the other two cells, these are the oldest cells in my cell tray with the three newer cells on my predator controller. I find with the Dream checking MV is a pain, need to calibrate to check O2 MV or calibrate in SCR mode to check MV in air. It would be handy if the Dream showed MV when turning on.

RBW Member PaulToz is an unknown quantity at this point PaulToz's Avatar
    rEvo micro FT

I'm running my unit the same way as beldridg—CANbus Petrel on my wrist running the unit and I'm monitoring 2 additional cells on the Nerd (1). Really like the set up, I trained on the unit with the Petrel - Dream combo and I'm used to the Petrel being my solenoid controller. The Dream is a nice simple HUD but I did find it to be a little unreliable, finicky piezo switches, changing batteries is a pain (I have the older version) and the user interface is no were near the simplicity of Shearwater. I run my unit manually with the solenoid set in 'parachute' mode, I find having 2 cells & depth info. right in front of me makes maintaining set point manually very easy. One annoyance is the Fischer connector, I wish the rebreather industry could agree on a more suitable connector… There is (was?) a wet-matable connector version of the Nerd 1 but it was quite a bit more $$.

RBW Member beldridg is an unknown quantity at this point beldridg's Avatar
    rEvo III Micro hCCR + rMS

Agreed. I've wondered if you could get a CANbus version of the Nerd2 and just use that to monitor the two cells. They show one on the Shearwater website so I know they manufacture it. I'm just not sure if/how you would add those two additional cells to the CANbus.

You would also then give up the redundancy of having the Nerd on a completely separate system unless you could install a second, independent CANbus for the two cells.

Paul R. - Any thoughts?

- brett

Quote Originally Posted by PaulToz  View Original Post
    One annoyance is the Fischer connector, I wish the rebreather industry could agree on a more suitable connector… There is (was?) a wet-matable connector version of the Nerd 1 but it was quite a bit more $$.

RBW Member Bazzer is an unknown quantity at this point Bazzer's Avatar
    ISC Pathfinder

Atlantis/Dolphin

If I may offer a slightly different perspective on the merits of a NERD that reflects the OP’s initial query: JonnyQuest stated that he is “planning on doing photography (after training and getting very comfortable with the Revo)”.

JonnyQuest may wish to consider his level of commitment to photography, the camera system or systems he wishes to use, and his ability to adapt not only to CCR diving, but to the possible challenges that using a NERD will have with his photographic technique and/or equipment.

A caveat: I’ve been a professional photographer for over a quarter century, and the major reason that I use CCRs is to support my profession. I’m not nearly as knowledge about the technical minutia of rebreathers and related hardware as most of those who post here are, but I do have a bit of experience creating images underwater.

Much as I appreciate the positive aspects of a NERD as a diver, I’ve not considered acquiring one as it would make my essential photographic tasks more than a bit cumbersome and inefficient. To make a long spiel brief, a NERD mounted close to the diver’s mask makes accessing the camera viewfinder a cumbersome challenge. The same is true of most HUD’s, but those with smaller profiles present less of an obstruction.

If JonnyQuest is new to photography, not invested in a “serious” camera system, or happy to use an LCD screen, point & shoot, or mirrorless system, then he may well be able to pursue his photography without further consideration. If however he uses a “professional” level SLR, or is otherwise particular, discerning, and uncompromising, then he’ll likely find his ability to see his viewfinder will be hindered by the NERD as it obstructs access to the viewfinder. The addition of a 45% or other accessory, magnifying viewfinder may make focus and composition more accessible, but he should still train himself to focus with either eye to allow for any obstruction that the NERD presents.

RBW Member manni-yunk is an unknown quantity at this point manni-yunk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DaleHawerchuck  View Original Post
    Can anybody confirm that?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Edit: It is saying so in the NERD 2 user manual.

I have a Nerd 1 and it reads 2 cells no problem, There was a SW update well over a year ago that fixed this issue.

RBW Member manni-yunk is an unknown quantity at this point manni-yunk's Avatar

I have a Petrel controller and a Nerd(1) monitor. (3) cells on the controller and (2) on the nerd.

I absolutely love it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast