+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 ... LastLast

Thread: HammerHead Revisions and Issues

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

HammerHead Revisions and Issues

Please use this thread to JUST report an Issue or want.. General discussions will be moderated, I will edit posts and recombine (when possible) to keep this thread short.. Sort of a Real time Faq (and sticky) .. If you want to bitch complain or other like activities please choose another thread to do so.. I will moderate those type of posts..

This thread is NOT for discussions and debates but an easy point for new and experienced users to share a particular want (easy place for KJ to check once and a while) and experience whether it is good or bad..

Since this is a thread for current and future owners, those without DIRECT (not a friend of a friend, or my "buddy" uses one) experience other than looking for a specific feature in the future or a legitimate question, please do not post. Posts falling outside of this definition will be removed or moved to another thread depending on where it could be placed.

An acceptable discussion would be something like..

I have this problem... and a reply could be a known solution (it will be moved to the original question where possible).. if there are multiple replies, I will move and combine them all in the same post to keep it like a FAQ..

This thread will give KJ an easy place to look, and save me lots of PMs and Emails helping with the same problems and questions.
    Last edited by jradomski; 22nd June 2006 at 19:48.
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar

Re: HammerHead Revisions and Issues

There are 4 Major versions of the hammerhead plus minor revisions within the revisions.

A) worked well, had some software bugs initially.. Deco wasnt GF at the start, The original sp maintenence was like a mk 15.. GF was added and proportional sp control was added thats depth adjusted.. Used costly batteries with no other options (reason for rev b)

There was also some depth irregularities (slightly deeper than actual) - corrected by adjusting for Altitude of the factory during calibration, and the Set sea level option that was added to correct for changes of ambient pressure at sea level.

B) was a crap shoot some worked perfectly others had bad battery drain (defective component plus a marginal assembly technique from a vendor) also may have prevented some units from going to sleep at the correct interval (took longer) but otherwise worked reliably.. Deco a little too agressive (compared against standard gf settings) after long surface intervals.

C) worked great, only possible negative Deco a little too agressive (compared against standard gf settings) after long surface intervals

** revs A,B, C had a diagnostic menu, while this was very useful to someone who knew how to use it a few people erased the calibration data of their pressure sensors.. TRhis was removed in "rev c+"

C+) same electronics as above but analog sensor replaced by digital sensor.. new pressure transduce created some leaking and depth irregularities.. Most people have no Problem but there have been some irregularities.. KJ is working with intersema's engineers to come up with a 100% reliable solution.. The HH is not alone here anyone who has used their sensors has had some issues..

first rev - The original Nikel prototyes are perfect and still are.. Unfortunately the machinist who was able to do these, had substance and legal issues.. Cost JM a bundle, next machine shop had QC problems with the nikel plating.. Some units have been in the field for a while with zero defects, and others.. not so good.

second rev-
    AL bezels replaced by SS bezels free of charge.. solved most issues caused by the bezel..

Third Rev- Switched to hard annodizing with teflon coat.. This is tough and hard to screw up.. also makes wet switch less sensitive.

fourth Rev - battery caps now have threads flattened, cures intermittent connections on the few units that have had it.. User can do this themselves by squeezin down on the threads with pliers or the like on 4 sides.

fifth rev (started doing it 6/19/06)- JM is making the holes in the SS bezel larger, should negate the need to fill with silicon and depth issues in silty and sometime salt water.. This could be done by the user as well if they wanted..

Probable Future rev - new xducer mount..

Issues if people see with current units..

Depth is very deep even on surface - moisture got behind pressure sensor, needs to be sent back..

A few units leaked.. a few leaked around the pressure sensor, 2 or 3 units had defective piezo switches.. Back to JM.. New testing procedures should prevent future units from getting out of the factory with these problems..

Only software negatives I can think of are:

A) the TTS is very conservative (not necessarily a bad thing).. Its a worse case calculation based on current loop conditions.. The TTS gets truer as you get closer to the surface..

B) With very long TTS the switches may not be immediately recognized.. The switches are not checked while its calculating the TTS.. You may have to wait until the stops, gases and po2 are being updated..

C) Deco schedule at altitude should not be followed..

D) unit must be calibrated on 100% and at sea level (or use a trick to get around it).. This is a design (philosophy) choice and unlikely to be changed.

E) when in PO2 mode the blinks on the DIVA are a little to fast to count accurately (other than 1,2 or 3 blinks that can be pretty uch recognized subliminaly) and should be slowed down a bit.

Only Hardware Negative:

No battery monitoring, I would like to see this, But the end not really necessary if recommendations are followed.

Some additional notes:

Fischer connectors.. Some people had nothing but trouble, others have had no issues ( I only had 1 dive that I had any issue with the fischer connector and it was caused by me while on the boat between dives).. By design these connectors have to be treated pretty carefully, any imperfection on the plug (ding, scratch ect) and thats it..

Sometime after Rev B's came out, hard plumbing became an option, now its standard fare.. Personally I miss the removable handsets.

recently changed (~06/2006) the design of the DIVA.. The cap is more robust than in the past and slightly larger but functionally the same.
    Last edited by jradomski; 22nd June 2006 at 10:40.
    Joe Radomski

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Dinspiration)
    Hello Joe

The "bug" is that you loose the used stack time, when removing the battery. We talked earlier about it. I tried to use the stack timer as scrubber duration monitor and set it to 180 minutes. After a 60 minutes long dive it displayed the used and left time correctly (60 used, 120 left), but removing the battery between two dives will "reset" the used stack timer to zero. The work around is to set the stack timer to 120 for the next dive. I'm lasy, so I still calculate the remaining scrubber duration time in my logbook.

DINspiration

No I remember exactly as you said..
    Here is KJ's logic:

It is assumed many divers are going to change their batteries when they do a scrubber change, so that its automatically reset to the saved state and the diver wouldnt forget to reset it..

(me)
    I think a forced go to sleep (like on the primary) would be useful on the secondary now that there is some type of volitile data that could be used.
    Joe Radomski

Stack Timer Bug - (Metal Units at this time)
    being forced to choose a new time - It updates to whatever the current selection is even if it times out.

Future Update:
    it is planned to change the way the BS-O-meter update works.. Right now it updates only when the unit goes to sleep(if it doesnt go to sleep on its own it doesnt get updated).. It will be changed sometime in the future to update once you are on the surface.

Mark's Request

My 2 cents is that I wish the stack timer was an option that you could turn on or off....
    Joe Radomski

Submerge Productions PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver's Avatar

Re: My HH tried to kill me but we are still friends.

Quote Originally Posted by jradomski
    put a strict limit on what cell chemistry is goingto be supported
    You could make it user selectable like 3.6V LiOn, 1.5 V Alkaline, ...

Can we also start a new feature request list?

new features that I would like to see are:
    • lower profile handsets
    • three buttons
    • CO2 monitor
    • scrubber monitor
    • battery life indicator of some sort
    • download/upload features
    • 4 line graphic display
    • backlight permanently on
    • logging functions
    • optional deco computer in secondary
    • hard shutdown - e.g. press all buttons simultaneously for x seconds and the handset remains off until the user presses one or all buttons

Not a euphemism! woody is a name known to all woody is a name known to all woody is a name known to all woody is a name known to all woody is a name known to all woody is a name known to all woody is a name known to all woody is a name known to all woody is a name known to all woody is a name known to all woody is a name known to all woody's Avatar

Joe,

Here are some "would like to haves" or a wish list.

To be able to view historical dive data on the primary.

Real time clock for above (would need separate a lithium type long life battery)

Battery monitoring with a fall back to disabling the back light and other non essential functions so that the computer and solenoid remained up. With a warning that this was happening.

A pre dive on load and off load battery check

Larger screen/ colour?

PC interface for downloads and updates (Blue tooth?)

Cell tracking data and trending with inteligence that would have a warn function if performance was close to or outside of preset parameters.

02 setting other than 100% for calibration.

Thats it for now.

Mike

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

hello all: the battery system in the primary

there is an easy system to work around the batt problem, but it needs a new housing with 2 batt compartments, and the software must be able to display the batt voltage

use 2 sets of batterys, one at 3.6V (the backup system) and one at 7.2V(the main system: 2 3.6V in series) both are connected to the electronics, each with a diode to prevent current going inverse)
    when beiing used, only the 7.2V source will supply current to the system, the 3.6V is not used
    when the 7.2V drops, you can see it on the batt voltage display, and when it goes to 5 or something alike, you simply change the dual batt,
    al the time the 7.2 would get exhausted, the 3.6V will take over, and you always have plenty of time to change the dual: you even don't have to 'go to sleep'
    no rebooting during diving, no loss of data...

just once every year you change the 3.6V backup, (when the 7.2 is in the unit

this is the only thing I would change on the unit: when it works, it's prooven that it's running fine

(and a reliable pressure sensor

the issue with the 'non-listening piezo's', you can work around when you know how to do it
    the TTS, well...

I prefer a sofware that runs and is tested above a new version with lot's of tricks and games!

paul
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

VPM & RGBM options.

New Member henckell will become famous soon enough henckell will become famous soon enough henckell will become famous soon enough henckell's Avatar
    JJ-CCR, Classic KISS

Megalodon, Poseidon Mk VI

I have been diving with different HH versions (acrylic and metal handsets) for a couple of years and I like the philosophy behind the functional design, the independent handsets and the simple and intuitive UI. I donīt need any logging or planning tools and the handsets are ok as long as they don't corrode away and that seems to be fixed with the anodised units.

I have had some restart problems with all the versions I have used, but only on the primary. Never the secondary. I rarely use the solenoid because I keep a higher SP than the HH is set to hold. Mostly I dive in cold water (4-5 degrees Celcius) and I thought that was the reason at first. I have also had some contact problems but they all went away after we made a tool that easily tightened the battery caps without destroying the "notch" in the cap. Maybe the computer makes the primary use substantially more power than the secondary?

I have a few ideas of what could be done to improve the reliability of the HH without the need for a completely redesigned handset or battery compartment.

The restart problem erases the tissue data which is bad, but it also fires the solenoid when it comes back. This needs to be fixed in the SW. I don't know how things are implemented, but a (re)start UW should not trigger the solenoid regardless if it's part of a test sequence or if the SW detects a PO2 of 0.00 (<0.20 -> automatic solenoid fire regardless of firing mode), which is displayed for a few seconds after each restart.

Kevin once told me that he'd never abandon the wetswitches and I can understand why. A safety feature that you can disable is no longer a safety feature. The problem they introduce (or at least mentally makes the user think is a problem) is that it's very hard to get the unit to go to sleep on the surface. If they could be made a little bit less sensitive that would be very nice. The first (?) version of the acrylic handsets had the two wetswitches several centimeters apart, and they were not at all as sensitive as the
    following versions.

I've heard that the pressure sensor will not be used in the future to start the unit when it reaches a certain depth, so the wetswitch can never be eliminated from the design. Then it would be good to make the hole in the faceplate bigger and maybe "desensify" the wetswitch electrically in itself. It is annoying that the unit is blinking for hours after a dive.

The HUD is nice but I canīt tell the difference between the colours at depth. I only use the "user SP mode" and note the frequency of the blinks.

The TTS is too conservative to be really useful on deeper dives. This algorithm would need an update.

When entering or changing the name of a gas some way of moving forward 10 letters would be nice. A lot of keypresses are needed today. A long keypress could equal 10 letters or maybe continuos press could scroll letters?

Since there is now a pressure sensor in both the primary and the secondary the computer functionality could be moved or even replicated (together with the gas management part of the code) to the secondary. Then a primary restart would be an annoyance but not a cause for backup tables. Kevin has even said that the long term goal was to move the computer to the secondary, IIRC. Of course this is assuming that the solenoid is the big power consumer. If it is the computer the problem will not be solved, but spread to the secondary as well!

A spinoff effect from this could be the possibility to offer the HH secondary with integrated deco and HUD as a display upgrade for other units.

I can't understand why the difference in current consumption/battery life is so big between the HH and other computers/controllers. Some manufacturers claim hundreds of hours of diving or years of standby and of course different batteries have different specs, but is the difference (even under good circumstances for the HH) something that should be expected?

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Re: HammerHead Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by henckell
    The restart problem erases the tissue data which is bad, but it also fires the solenoid when it comes back. This needs to be fixed in the SW. I don't know how things are implemented, but a (re)start UW should not trigger the solenoid regardless if it's part of a test sequence or if the SW detects a PO2 of 0.00 (<0.20 -> automatic solenoid fire regardless of firing mode), which is displayed for a few seconds after each restart.
    On another controller the solenoid test firing is tied in with the depth sensor.
    On the surface and to around 6 m it fires twice, below 6 m it doesn't.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 ... LastLast