+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: BO - How do you place the second tank ?

FNG mcglencoe is an unknown quantity at this point mcglencoe's Avatar
    Rubber Biscuit?

rEvo

Re: BO - How do you place the second tank ?

Quote Originally Posted by rjack  View Original Post
    What kind of neck bungie are you using? Any chance you have a picture? They do not sound like the "old school" bungie setup which loops around just the knob of the valve. The other common type loops around the neck of the valve/tank which sounds like what you are doing. Hard to tell without a picture

The BO tank is set-up like other stage tanks I've seen, just using rope between the tank and bolt snaps. Planning to switch the rope out for bungees, so I have a bit of stretch and can even make them a bit shorter to help tuck them up tighter.

Currently the only bungee is on my backplate where the shoulder harness attaches, it's just a loop that hangs down and once I have the tank clipped in, I can loop the bungee around tank valve and it will pull the tank up tighter.

Edit: It's called the Edd mod (you probably already know about it) : Henrys-Xt-mods-for-Revo

A little different than how mine is tied in, but same idea:

Last edited by mcglencoe; 28th September 2017 at 19:26.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

I mount bottom / deep bailout left rich bailout right

I carry a steel 10 blown 250bar+ with trimix left and a AL80 blown to 250 bar nitrox on the right.

They weigh almost the same that way.

If I had AL80 trimix left as well it wouldnt trim well

Initial bailout is BOV plumbed directly into deep bailout tin but if BOV failed id just grab the gas on the left. No thought required.

All tanks left ONLY works safely in a teem diveing environment

If I need more gas than two tanks? Deep gas left and other two right with shallow gas regin a mouth guard

If I need to carry four tanks all additional tanks are AL80s or steel 7s which are neutrol full of trimix

Deep gas left with intermediat with mouth guard, shallow gas right with shallowest gas with a mouth guard

No teem required not complex checking required underwater. Sort out rigging on the boat, sort out mouth guards at home with a cup of tea.

Its one of the few things I brought forward from OC and still use

I dive scooters and I dive canister torches and I even dive long hose on bailout for caves and tanks left / right never caused me a problem

I had one friend who died OC diveing due to going on the wrong deco gas and toxing. I had another who dived all left and had a proper srious bailout on CCR and after admitted it was a total cluster fuck bailout

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

I cant even understand the mentality to carry all on one side. Besides the alligator death roll(imbalance), the clanging like 2 elephants fornicating underwater, its an extra level of complexity in a stressful situation.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by mcglencoe  View Original Post
    The BO tank is set-up like other stage tanks I've seen, just using rope between the tank and bolt snaps. Planning to switch the rope out for bungees, so I have a bit of stretch and can even make them a bit shorter to help tuck them up tighter.

Currently the only bungee is on my backplate where the shoulder harness attaches, it's just a loop that hangs down and once I have the tank clipped in, I can loop the bungee around tank valve and it will pull the tank up tighter.

Edit: It's called the Edd mod (you probably already know about it) : Henrys-Xt-mods-for-Revo

This is how I do my left and right BOs although I don't use the conventional stage straps. What I can't understand is the 3rd tank on top of the left BO. How's the "flip it on top" part work?

Rubber Biscuit?

rEvo

What I can't understand is the 3rd tank on top of the left BO. How's the "flip it on top" part work?
    I'm probably just not explaining it right.

Once you have your first tank clipped in and "Edd" bungee'd up and back tight, clip the 3rd tank top bolt snap onto the same front D-ring as the lower tank, then push it out and over the top of the lower tank and clip in the lower bolt snap. It kind of nestles right in, I really don't notice it's there.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

I'm probably just not explaining it right.

Once you have your first tank clipped in and "Edd" bungee'd up and back tight, clip the 3rd tank top bolt snap onto the same front D-ring as the lower tank, then push it out and over the top of the lower tank and clip in the lower bolt snap. It kind of nestles right in, I really don't notice it's there.
    I see, so how are you switching to this top mounted deco bottle?

Rubber Biscuit?

rEvo

I see, so how are you switching to this top mounted deco bottle?
    You can still reach the reg no prob. Then to stow it, just flip the hose and reg back up over and let it rest between the bottle and you. Don't worry about trying to slide it back in the tank bungee bands, you're bailing out.

Meg

You can still reach the reg no prob. Then to stow it, just flip the hose and reg back up over and let it rest between the bottle and you. Don't worry about trying to slide it back in the tank bungee bands, you're bailing out.
    Sounds like your are not checking the MOD. The picture of the yellow tank with blueish top would not be legible when sidemounted on me - that tape ends up in my armpit. A tank on top of that would definitely not be legible. Seems like having two cylinders on the same side and just grabbing a BO reg is a bad idea to me, but what do I know.

I don't rely on analysis tape to check MODs, I use far larger mailbox numbers with the depth on them. I don't top mount deco bottles above sidemounted BOs because I can't see them to switch to them back there.

It looks like the bungee mount is BEHIND your wing. Does that not squeeze the wing and hinder efficient dumping? Does is move your bottles around depending on how inflated your wing is? I use the same loop bungee but it goes to my back plate because it doesn't affect my BO or wing.

If you are on the surface with a fully inflated wing are you able to take the bottle off?
    After long deep dives I try to hand bailout up to the boat to avoid the extra stress of climbing up the ladder with all my BO. So long as it is calm seas

Rubber Biscuit?

rEvo

Sounds like your are not checking the MOD. The picture of the yellow tank with blueish top would not be legible when sidemounted on me - that tape ends up in my armpit. A tank on top of that would definitely not be legible. Seems like having two cylinders on the same side and just grabbing a BO reg is a bad idea to me, but what do I know.

I don't rely on analysis tape to check MODs, I use far larger mailbox numbers with the depth on them. I don't top mount deco bottles above sidemounted BOs because I can't see them to switch to them back there.

That's just an air/21% BO tank, only carrying one BO tank when running that, so not too worried about checking MOD during the dive, it'd would be the only one I have; tape was put on after analyzing and is only there to identify whats in the tank before splashing.

The B.O.s I used for the Mod 3 had bungees instead of rope and they easily pulled away from the armpit to read the mix/MOD. The top 3rd tank was a little tighter, but still quite readable.

BO regs are also marked with a piece of tape indicating the mix and MOD right next to bite piece and the LP hose is flagged with a piece of tape with mix and MOD if off-board is required.

Verifying mix/MOD BO was: pull the bottle away far enough to check the tank label, pull the reg, verify the reg on the tape, follow the hose back with your fingers to correct tank, then and only then was ready to stuff in your mouth and breathe from it when you hit the correct upcoming deco stop.

Curious, how do you typically mount your bottles?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast