+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New sensor reading 14.7 mV in air. Would you dive it?

RBW Member maxguru is an unknown quantity at this point maxguru's Avatar

New sensor reading 14.7 mV in air. Would you dive it?

I unwrapped a new sensor Saturday morning, installed it in my unit and it read 14.7 mV in air. The spec in the checklist is 8.5 - 14 mV in air. I forget the exact voltage reading in O2, but it was within spec there.

Would you use this sensor?
    Does it just need time to "settle down?"

Thanks,
    max

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

Re: New sensor reading 14.7 mV in air. Would you dive it?

Quote Originally Posted by maxguru  View Original Post
    I unwrapped a new sensor Saturday morning, installed it in my unit and it read 14.7 mV in air. The spec in the checklist is 8.5 - 14 mV in air. I forget the exact voltage reading in O2, but it was within spec there.

Would you use this sensor?
    Does it just need time to "settle down?"

Thanks,
    max
    I wouldnt sweat it in the least. What was the voltage at 1.0?

RBW Member maxguru is an unknown quantity at this point maxguru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pack  View Original Post
    I wouldnt sweat it in the least. What was the voltage at 1.0?
    I'll have to get back to you on the exact voltage. I only recall that it was within the spec on the checklist. I won't be visiting that rebreather again until Saturday.

Thanks,
    max

RBW Member tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione's Avatar
    Kiss Spirit Lte

Azimuth, KISS CLASSIC,KISS GEM

Check it again, you never know what they'll do fresh out of the bag.

RBW Member nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Give it time and then run it through your cell checker, but it's probably fine.

RBW Member manni-yunk is an unknown quantity at this point manni-yunk's Avatar

I would not. Others, more intelligent than I, obviously would but to me its pretty cut and dry. If its out of spec.....I wont dive it. End of story.

A cell is worth what...100 dollars? Id return it for a replacement or buy a new one....but thats just me and Im pretty conservative with my unit.

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

Most people give several days for a cell to settle down.

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

In my very first RB course, it was taught that a cell should be opened at least 24 hours prior to installing. This way it has time to compensate for atmosphere and wake up properly. I would not be concerned unless it was still high after 24 hours.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

RBW Member nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pack  View Original Post
    Most people give several days for a cell to settle down.
    Somewhere in Teledyne's literature they say 1 hour for their cells. I personally go with overnight. Several days is overkill.

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Its 5% over spec. Not a huge amount.
    What was the atmospheric pressure when you measured it?
    How long after opening the pack did you measure it?
    Where did it come from? Being in the Hollis sub forum, did you buy it from them? Does the seller/manufacture pre-test the sensor.

If it was me, I'd probably use it with caution. ie test it again pre dive, check linearity 21-100% check its drift from calibration over the next several dives etc....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast