+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Booster Selection - Suggestions / Tip?

Booster Selection - Suggestions / Tip?

Hello -

I realize I need to purchase a booster, I have been an OC circuit diver for years, and finally took the plunge into rebreather diving. I realize I need to purchase a gas booster.

For those that have already purchased a booster, any suggestions / tips when you picked up your booster? Did you purchase new / used, wait a while and ran across a great deal?

Haskell / Hydraulics International / Other ?

I am not going to pumping up large bottles, just mostly smaller bottles, and also my AL 40 deco bottle.

Also as far as cleaning and servicing which unit offer service kits, support, etc.

RBW Member jeffgerritsen is an unknown quantity at this point jeffgerritsen's Avatar
    Megalodon

Optima

Re: Booster Selection - Suggestions / Tip?

I currently have a HI 3G. Works ok, purchased it used for very reasonable price. Of course the "cats meow" is a haskel AGD or AGT 15/30. But get ready to write a big check for that puppy!

RBW Member NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

I've been using a Haskel Mini for the past 7 years and it's been faultless.

Using it for the exact same purpose as you're planning. Filling large bailouts is a bit of a chore and boosting more than 3:1 uses quite a bit of drive gas but a larger booster would have cost a lot more and been overkill most of the time.

The only servicing I've done has been to strip and clean the LP side. I've had the HP end off once, recently, and it was immaculate inside.

I've always driven it with diving air from HP cylinders, never from a LP compressor.

Cognitive surrender TopLeft is an unknown quantity at this point TopLeft's Avatar
    Evolution+

Evolution

How do either of you store the booster? In a hard case?

Thanks for the posts

So i read of some driving their units with shop air compressor, but then I read things of the Haskell having issues, due to oil, etc leading to it not working as well, or having to get service sooner vs later.
    I can drive with HP gas, and for now I only have a few bottles to fill at a time

Has anyone taken their units with them on Dive Trips? For instance I practice a lot at a Quarry, so I would prefer to bring some oxygen with me in say an AL 80, and then use drive gas from say a LP 125.

Wondering if that would work?

RBW Member moose_grunt is an unknown quantity at this point moose_grunt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by c101  View Original Post
    Thanks for the posts

So i read of some driving their units with shop air compressor, but then I read things of the Haskell having issues, due to oil, etc leading to it not working as well, or having to get service sooner vs later.
    I can drive with HP gas, and for now I only have a few bottles to fill at a time

Has anyone taken their units with them on Dive Trips? For instance I practice a lot at a Quarry, so I would prefer to bring some oxygen with me in say an AL 80, and then use drive gas from say a LP 125.

For a day at the quarry, you can likely get by with just one rebreather bottle. If you're going to be spending ALL day there and absolutely need more oxygen, it's much easier to bring another rebreather bottle than gaff around with a booster, supply gas, drive gas, etc. that'd be like bringing a compressor rather than bringing more tanks. Tends to be overkill for a day trip.

id probably also try to get by with trans filling from a 40 rather than trying to bring everything for a booster in my car.

Jim

RBW Member NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Quote Originally Posted by TopLeft  View Original Post
    How do either of you store the booster? In a hard case?
    Hung on the wall in my workshop or in a Peli case if I'm travelling....

Quote Originally Posted by c101  View Original Post

Yes. I have a 5l steel cylinder that I use to drive the Haskel when I'm out and about.

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

I run my booster off of a 80g 5hp 2 stage compressor with air dryer.

Been working fine for years now.

RBW Member hamishmorrison is an unknown quantity at this point hamishmorrison's Avatar
    JJ DiveCAN

Mine lives on the wall. I have a bunch of old OC cylinders which I keep charged to power it. Works really well for 3 ltrs but I'd be happy to top off 80cf bailouts if I have good pressure in my J's.
    Attached Images

FNG mcglencoe is an unknown quantity at this point mcglencoe's Avatar
    Rubber Biscuit?

rEvo

How do you like that Stansted booster Hamish?

How long to boost up a 3L?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast