+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Honiara - Solomon Islands

RBW Member zturtle is an unknown quantity at this point zturtle's Avatar
    rEvo micor FT

Re: Honiara - Solomon Islands

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post
    Hi everybody, FYI there are a few spots open on the Taka trip September 5-15. I just did a search on the airfare from the East coast of the US and it's not too bad, at least compared with Papua New Guinea flights. Apparently there are at least two other CCR Divers booked for the trip, and after speaking with one of the owners it seems we would be allowed to dive on our own schedule and profile, boat schedule permitting. They can get sore and 02, but it will have to be decanted no booster is available. I consider this to be a mild inconvenience, especially considering this will be recreational dives. They also have 40cuft BO tanks. If I can work out the details, I will probably dive in Honiara from the 1-5th, boarding on the 5th. Just putting it out there, the more CCR divers there are on board the better we will probably be accommodated, the more the merrier. Let me know if anyone is interested in joining me at the beginning of the trip, September 1-5, and possibly splitting a hotel room in Honiara. -Andy
    Just wanted to pipe it in. My wife and I are on the boat (5-15) and we both dive rEvo. Hope to have more CCR company. Don

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by zturtle  View Original Post
    Just wanted to pipe it in. My wife and I are on the boat (5-15) and we both dive rEvo. Hope to have more CCR company. Don
    Hi Don, thanks for chiming in. I am figuring out logistics, but I'm hoping to join you for the charter. Will you be in Honiara before the charter begins on the 5th, and if so would you like to dive land based with me at Tulagi Dive? -Andy

RBW Member zturtle is an unknown quantity at this point zturtle's Avatar
    rEvo micor FT

Hi Don, thanks for chiming in. I am figuring out logistics, but I'm hoping to join you for the charter. Will you be in Honiara before the charter begins on the 5th, and if so would you like to dive land based with me at Tulagi Dive? -Andy
    Andy
    We are getting there the night before going out so no shore diving for us.
    Don

RBW Member Gl1tchie is an unknown quantity at this point Gl1tchie's Avatar
    JJ

I would be interested in hearing about your experiences once you return.

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Hi Dave, are there any spots left on the Taka? Also, where are you flying from and if you don't mind my asking how much did you pay for your tickets? I would really like to go to the Solomons, if it's anywhere near as good as PNG and Indo I would be thrilled. Thanks, -Andy
    Not sure if you got I was talking about next year, (2018) not this September. I will be flying to Brisbane then I think it's Marshall Air from there. I believe the 10 day livaboard is $4800. The boat will have boosted helium and O2 on our trip. It will be exclusively rebreathers and trimix profiles.
    Nice to have some RBW folk join us.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by zturtle  View Original Post
    Andy
    We are getting there the night before going out so no shore diving for us.
    Don
    Ok Don, good to know, thanks.

Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    Not sure if you got I was talking about next year, (2018) not this September. I will be flying to Brisbane then I think it's Marshall Air from there. I believe the 10 day livaboard is $4800. The boat will have boosted helium and O2 on our trip. It will be exclusively rebreathers and trimix profiles.
    Nice to have some RBW folk join us.

Hi Dave, thanks for the info, sounds great. Will consider it...

RBW Member Gl1tchie is an unknown quantity at this point Gl1tchie's Avatar
    JJ

What am I missing?

It seems Solomons would be a great business opportunity for someone (with investors) to open a complete dive resort. Go the whole hog, nice accommodation + dive shop with tec support and boat. Make the accomm affordable so its accessible for lots of people. It doesn't have to be 5 star, I'm talking just neat and tidy and well priced to attract numbers. There is a chamber in Honiara so thats pretty great.
    And some of the most spectacular wrecks one can dive..

I'm guessing there must be some unassailable hurdle that I don't know about. Some government rule or tax or what ever. So what is it?

Dan

Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Gl1tchie  View Original Post
    What am I missing?

It seems Solomons would be a great business opportunity for someone (with investors) to open a complete dive resort. Go the whole hog, nice accommodation + dive shop with tec support and boat. Make the accomm affordable so its accessible for lots of people. It doesn't have to be 5 star, I'm talking just neat and tidy and well priced to attract numbers. There is a chamber in Honiara so thats pretty great.

I'm guessing there must be some unassailable hurdle that I don't know about. Some government rule or tax or what ever. So what is it?

Dan
    Hi Dan, while the Solomons have always been on my list, the first thing that might be a deterrent to people who would like to start tourist based businesses would probably be land/property issues. It is apparently illegal for foreigners to own property in the Solomons, with most land still belonging to families or larger clans. This would certainly make any outside investment risky and dependent on a local business partner. Land title and the standardization of property rights are seldom remarked upon, but crucial in the developing of any country's economy. A similar problem exists in Papua New Guinea, and also like Papua New Guinea, airfares to the Solomons can be quite steep, about double or triple what it costs to get to Indonesia from the same places on the globe. They are also significant ethnic tensions within the country, a very small police force and no military. There was a coup attempt in 2000, and there is also a significant number of serious earthquakes. It's isolation makes it a beautiful place, and considering the above it will probably stay isolated for many years to come… -Andy

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Gl1tchie  View Original Post
    What am I missing?

Dan
    There goes the neighborhood...

Maybe the charm of these locations are the mere fact they are not overrun with tourists and dive sites that you can see something pristine. The reason I chose to go to Solomon Islands vs Truk is that everyone has been to Truk, not so much Solomons.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast