+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Honiara - Solomon Islands

RBW Member osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris's Avatar
    HH INSPO HYBRIB BASTARDISED MK

KISS/IDA64/72/60/Mk15/Cobra

Re: Honiara - Solomon Islands

Quote Originally Posted by Gl1tchie  View Original Post
    Hi all,
    Thanks for the replies.
    I like this one

Lucky for me she is 60m OC trained and coming with me.

I was advised in another forum to avoid SIDE which operate the Taka I believe? I could be wrong? Anyone else got any advise in that area?

This doesn't worry me tooooooo much. I have done a fair bit of diving on Gili Trawangan, which is like this all the time. But Gili T has accom for cheap and not too nasty. Seems Honiara is expensive and average/crap... Has anyone been to both Gili T and Honiara and can compare experiences?

Which Liveaboard?

I saw your post from a few years ago while I was searching for info. Very cool.

So far it seems like taking my rebreather to Honiara and planning on 2 weeks of diving might be a big gamble.. Sounds like if its good it'll be amazing but if it doesn't go to plan it could be a massive waste of money and time and Annual Leave days... Maybe I'm better off booking a trip to Truk?

Thanks
    Dan

believe Taka was the liveaboard my colleague was on last August. Personally, having doen the B1, B2, B whatever, I-1 etc, unless I was also doing liveaboard and guaranteed Moa, and the deeper wrecks, I would not have bothered with the shore diving only.

BTW, For what it's worth - for someone if interested - I have 40KGs of sorb plus 2 X 2 Litre Cyls (1 X O2 1 x Dil in Port Moresby if it makes it easier logistically for some planning a PNG CCR dive trip. PNG diving is the bee's knees but as someone already pointed out, logistics for CCrs can be a killer.

RBW Member mick4707 is an unknown quantity at this point mick4707's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

I was on the Taka last June with full CCR support. The diving was amazing the boat was good, but the expat dive crew were crap. They made us do big surface swims back to the boat after long dives, we had the boat totally out of control go over the top of us on deco, the crew had the attitude that a rebreather was the same as a single tank reef dive. Big surface swims were the norm and they never bothered to use the tender to bring us back to the boat. Neil from Tulagi dive was good to deal with. I can confirm the Honiara ain't the best place to stay.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by mick4707  View Original Post
    I was on the Taka last June with full CCR support. The diving was amazing the boat was good, but the expat dive crew were crap. They made us do big surface swims back to the boat after long dives, we had the boat totally out of control go over the top of us on deco, the crew had the attitude that a rebreather was the same as a single tank reef dive. Big surface swims were the norm and they never bothered to use the tender to bring us back to the boat. Neil from Tulagi dive was good to deal with. I can confirm the Honiara ain't the best place to stay.

Hi Mick, did you complain to the boat captain about not being picked up by the tenders? They should have at least powered the tender up and pulled the CCR divers back to the Taka on a line. That's what every other boat captain has done for me if I surfaced too close to move the big boat but too far for a swim... -Andy

RBW Member Gl1tchie is an unknown quantity at this point Gl1tchie's Avatar
    JJ

Thanks for all the replies everyone.
    Really appreciate the information.

I would like to hear about more experiences with the Taka.
    I'm also keen to hear if Mick's experiences are common to everyone on that boat.

Dan

RBW Member mick4707 is an unknown quantity at this point mick4707's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post
    Hi Mick, did you complain to the boat captain about not being picked up by the tenders? They should have at least powered the tender up and pulled the CCR divers back to the Taka on a line. That's what every other boat captain has done for me if I surfaced too close to move the big boat but too far for a swim... -Andy
    We sure did, fell on deaf ears. They pretty much laughed of all requests. The expat crew had no interest in helping.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by mick4707  View Original Post
    We sure did, fell on deaf ears. They pretty much laughed of all requests. The expat crew had no interest in helping.
    Sorry to hear that, I will be speaking with the owner about their entry/exit procedures before booking. It doesn't matter whether you're on OC or CCR, scuba gear is not designed for surface swimming.

What were the other examples of poor crew service?
    Last edited by silent running; 23rd July 2017 at 16:35.

Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by osiris  View Original Post
    believe Taka was the liveaboard my colleague was on last August. Personally, having doen the B1, B2, B whatever, I-1 etc, unless I was also doing liveaboard and guaranteed Moa, and the deeper wrecks, I would not have bothered with the shore diving only.

BTW, For what it's worth - for someone if interested - I have 40KGs of sorb plus 2 X 2 Litre Cyls (1 X O2 1 x Dil in Port Moresby if it makes it easier logistically for some planning a PNG CCR dive trip. PNG diving is the bee's knees but as someone already pointed out, logistics for CCrs can be a killer.
    Hello Osiris, you are certainly right, PNG is the best diving in the world, with Indonesia a close second. I've done 4 trips on the Golden Dawn and dived land based in Moresby, Tufi, Walindi and Kavieng. Who did you dive with in PNG and what are your favorite places?-Andy

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post
    Sorry to hear that, I will be speaking with the owner about their entry/exit procedures before booking. It doesn't matter whether you're on OC or CCR, scuba gear is not designed for surface swimming.

What were the other examples of poor crew service?
    I surfaced after a dive when we were in the Solomons to find the boat was gone - I immediately began to worry that one of my crew had been injured - but one by one, they each popped up. We counted heads, verified no one was missing, then decided to begin a rather long surface swim to a small island in the distance. Once we got there one of the crew hiked across the middle of the island and found the kid driving the boat asleep on the other side. He decided to go fishing in the shallows while we were diving, and then took a nap...

My purple neck-vein-bulging scream-fest that followed had z-e-r-o effect on this kid who acted like I was some crazy dude making a mountain out of a molehill. But that was the LAST dive that kid went with us on...

The truth is, when you travel to some of these remote places, their idea of "safety" doesn't always jibe with ours, and so it's best to use whatever leverage you may have to make sure there are some sort of ground-rules ahead of time - usually just before $$ changes hands is the optimal time for these sorts of negotiations, with a hold-back if possible.

Personally, I would never pay a dive operator who made me or my crew swim back to the damn boat. That's their job. Anyone with experience on here knows that sometimes you come up after a dive to find 4 foot seas suddenly around you, and swimming against that is ridiculous.

Kevin.

Prism

Dolphin

Good boat drivers in places like the Solomons, PNG or Indo have huge responsibilities. That is why I pay particular attention to the kind of relationship those boat drivers have with the captain of the liveaboard or land based dive operator. The good ones are the right hand of the operator, like an eldest son. It takes a lot of time to learn about local currents, tidal and wind effects. I have been mostly lucky but did spend almost 2 hours drifting on the backside of a rocky island while the junior boat guy searched for us on the other side. He did not know about the reversal of current direction in the late afternoon. It's a good thing I had a handkerchief to put on my head so I didn't get a serious sunburn, which could have put me out of the water for days. I knew he'd eventually find us, but it took him longer than it should have because of his inexperience...

New Member Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza's Avatar
    Inspo Classic, JJ-CCR

Mk15.5, rEvo, Vision, Kiss,

Guys ... I have a series of emails between myself and the owners of SIDE (Taka) - they make piss poor reading.

Complaining was a total waste of time and we will not be using them again - as Mick said if it had not been for us hiring Neil from Tulagi Dive the trip would have been a total disaster.

The local were great the ex-pats worse than hopeless.

If anybody want a copy of the letter I sent to SIDE ping me.

regards Baz