+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Improving inspiration diveability

RBW Member Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol's Avatar

Improving inspiration diveability

I am trying to improve various aspects of my inspiration without wanting to waste time/money.

Inspo classic with medium lungs, use a DT box with stainless backplate. 4kg weight on top, with 2kg on weight belt.

I am considering switching to the ap back mounted lungs - in order to improve the trim of the unit and also general stability. I am hoping that this will fix this issue - has anyone else switched to this and what are your views on level of stability/trim improvement.

The other option was switching to another travel frame (not sure if this is worth doing or not and what would offer an improvement over what I have currently stability wise ), or whether I am better just sticking with the existing DT box.

Any thoughts appreciated.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Re: Improving inspiration diveability

Quote Originally Posted by Wol  View Original Post
    I am trying to improve various aspects of my inspiration without wanting to waste time/money.

Inspo classic with medium lungs, use a DT box with stainless backplate. 4kg weight on top, with 2kg on weight belt.

I am considering switching to the ap back mounted lungs - in order to improve the trim of the unit and also general stability. I am hoping that this will fix this issue - has anyone else switched to this and what are your views on level of stability/trim improvement.

The other option was switching to another travel frame (not sure if this is worth doing or not and what would offer an improvement over what I have currently stability wise ), or whether I am better just sticking with the existing DT box.

Any thoughts appreciated.
    Back mount lungs will clear up the clutter from the front but they won't fix bad trim. Moving your weights around and getting disciplined on maintaining minimum loop volume (yes, this is a gross assumption that you're not already) costs nothing and will make much more difference.

Personally I dive with AP's soft back plate & harness (have just switched back from a Zeagle Express Tec for the sake of a little more comfort and the shoulder breaks :) ) and not having a stainless plate rocking around on my back makes a difference, as does the ability to move weight around the unit. I currently have 9lb at the head and trims out nice.

What suit do you dive and, if it's dry, do you run it as your primary buoyancy? I do and I find this means I tend to be floaty with the breather weighing me down. When I switch buoyancy to the wing, especially on the rare occasion I dive with a wetty, I find it more stable because I'm the heavy thing hanging from the buoyant platform. Might be worth mixing that up too, see if it makes a difference.

RBW Member Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol's Avatar

Good comments- I dive dry suit and wing - I do use the wing for buoyancy - interesting comment re the original ap harness - do you use the standard ap case or do you use a box? Was thinking of mounting the weight that is currently on the head along the edges of the box - similar to Jjccr ..

Phase 2 of my inspiration improvement program is also looking at the AV1 controller with shear water hud. - looks like you have already been this route... only real concern is sending back to Russia if there is an issue due to potential customs issues..

RBW Member Doomanic is an unknown quantity at this point Doomanic's Avatar
    FrankenClassic (Done. Mostly)

I dive an Inspo Classic with AV1 head in a Kent Tooling stainless steel travel frame with BMCLs. I've had to put a 2kg weight in the bottom of the frame to trim it out, meaning I'm overweighted. There's a lot less lift from the BMCLs than the FMCLs I was using before and it took some getting used to.
    The AV1 head is awesome, such an improvement over the Classic's paddles. The handset is easy read and the HUD makes life so simple. I went for the Basic HUD, the standalone looks good, but it too complicated for my tiny brain to comprehend. I'm going to add secondary monitoring at some point, I have a Dream in my spares box but at some point I'd like to add a second computer with cell monitoring.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Quote Originally Posted by Wol  View Original Post
    Good comments- I dive dry suit and wing - I do use the wing for buoyancy - interesting comment re the original ap harness - do you use the standard ap case or do you use a box? Was thinking of mounting the weight that is currently on the head along the edges of the box - similar to Jjccr ..
    No yellow box here, I designed a Silver Box of Death (SBOD) case to replace it. 2 and 3mm 316 stainless, weighs about the same as the yellow box.

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

BMCL are smaller and less buoyancy shift can occur, IMO the psychological change of freeing up space on your front makes the system "feel" better.

I have weight (5lb's) on the top (alibox) and a smaller mass (2lbs) bolted on the underside of the top of the box, above the head.

I dunno what harness you use? Some people misguidedly use a GUE/HOG one piece nonsense that isn't functional for CCR IMO, you need an adjustable harness to get trim right.

If you carry bailout is it in the form of stages or side mount? I felt a huge step change when I accepted my CC destiny, binned SPG's and moved there bailouts into full cave/side mount position.

We have a bunch of Inspo's in the club, all have either switched to BMCL or JJ's with BMCL, no one has moved back or regretted it...

Ben - do you have a picture of how you mount your cylinders. I currently clip mine to a hip d ring with the half way up the cylinder and use a bungee attached to the back of the
    centre (underneath) the back plate which is piston clipped to the dring on the front mounted counter lung. When donning I preclip the side ring to the cylinder on the bench, get in the unit and then just pull the bungee around the cylinder valve and reg. ( very easy to mount and seems to dive okay.- be interested to see what you do and whether I can improve on this.

Interested in the adjustable harness comment - I guess this enables a tighter fit i.e. Less rolling around of unit.

One thought I had was regarding trim was to try mounting the trim weights down the sides of my unit - similar to the jj. Looking at the physics and the way the bouyancy and weight forces act, having the weights along the sides closer to the centreline would probably be a good thing for stability. If it wasn't for the costs I think a jjccr would be the ultimate solution here...

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Field  View Original Post
    BMCL are smaller and less buoyancy shift can occur, IMO the psychological change of freeing up space on your front makes the system "feel" better.

I have weight (5lb's) on the top (alibox) and a smaller mass (2lbs) bolted on the underside of the top of the box, above the head.

I dunno what harness you use? Some people misguidedly use a GUE/HOG one piece nonsense that isn't functional for CCR IMO, you need an adjustable harness to get trim right.

If you carry bailout is it in the form of stages or side mount? I felt a huge step change when I accepted my CC destiny, binned SPG's and moved there bailouts into full cave/side mount position.

We have a bunch of Inspo's in the club, all have either switched to BMCL or JJ's with BMCL, no one has moved back or regretted it...
    Last edited by Wol; 30th April 2017 at 10:17.

RBW Member graham_hk is a jewel in the rough graham_hk is a jewel in the rough graham_hk is a jewel in the rough graham_hk is a jewel in the rough graham_hk is a jewel in the rough graham_hk is a jewel in the rough graham_hk is a jewel in the rough graham_hk is a jewel in the rough graham_hk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Field  View Original Post
    Interesting - I have been diving inspirations and more recently JJs for 20 years with "nonsense" one piece harnesses - never had a problem with getting trim right.

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by graham_hk  View Original Post
    Interesting - I have been diving inspirations and more recently JJs for 20 years with "nonsense" one piece harnesses - never had a problem with getting trim right.
    You have had 2 decades to get used to it

I have seen a lot of people who've gone to CCR and taken their OC one-piece harness and struggled, a rebreather (IMO) benefits from being firmly and closely held to the body- getting the CL's and your lungs in close, fixed proximity is a good thing. Since most rebreather divers have highly personalised kit making things common (ala GUE) is largely pointless- better to have something that works.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast