+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why The Scuba Industry is Suffering...

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

Re: Why The Scuba Industry is Suffering...

Quote Originally Posted by markdol2  View Original Post
    Thanks for making me feel old kevin ,I remember using every piece of that gear from the j -valve and reserve rod to the calypso jr. reg, i guess i should throw in a horse collar too!
    I wish I still had my Voit Tank and Regulator set with J-Valve... Now that I think of it, our generation used to do things that should have killed us outright... How are we all still around? My 17 year old is going to college this year, and I'm looking at a car for him. I'm looking at Air Bags, Active Braking, Backup Cameras, etc. Then, I remember how I drove all over the country in a 1957 MGA with no seatbelts, no top, no nothing. I must have died back then but just can't remember it happening...

Kevin.

RBW Member Kendo38 is an unknown quantity at this point Kendo38's Avatar
    Inspiration XPD

Quote Originally Posted by heyydude  View Original Post
    ......, I remember how I drove all over the country in a 1957 MGA with no seatbelts, no top, no nothing. I must have died back then but just can't remember it happening...

Kevin.
    Mine was a Morris Marina 1.8 GT. I probably died too, just can't remember because it was before they introduced drink-driving laws!

Oh, and I'll go for "Pingu Hexacoffetable the Jedi"

Capt/ Instructor
    tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1's Avatar
    SF2 | rEvo

PRISM Topaz

Yea, this new generation is the worst. That damn generation that raised them really shoulda taught them better!

You want to know why this generation isn't diving?

Combine that with the much higher (inflation adjusted) cost of getting into diving, in order to meet todays higher safety standards, and of course it's suffering.

Every generation feels that the one after it is the worst ever.
    -Capt Tom McCarthy
    Stone Rust | East Coast Wreck Diving
    SF2 | rEvo
    Training | Charters | Equipment

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

If we're being honest here, I often wonder if it is the "geezer effect" like you mentioned - every generation thinks the one behind it are a bunch of lazy loafers, but I also remember very well how dialed-in I was to what ultimately became my profession. I bought my first wind-up Regular 8mm film camera at the thrift store when I was 7, then worked my older brothers paper route to earn money to buy film and pay for processing. I was obsessed about making movies, and later, taking pictures, even buying my own darkroom set on layaway when I was 13. Plus, I loved all things mechanical - took my Argus C-3 camera apart about a dozen times down to the little leafs that made up the iris.

By contrast, my own son got a GameCube when he was 4 (which I often regret buying) and has been obsessed with video games ever since. Even now, as he prepares to go to college to major in Film & Television, he spends more time playing "Legend of Zelda" than he does making videos. I just shake my head, and figure he will eventually find out how much sheer work is required to create something worth looking at.

But then, I look at YouTube, and I see how much junk is on there, but also how many Views it gets, I realize how much that what I call "disposable entertainment" has overtaken quality thoughtful films (at least the types I tried to create when I was a filmmaker), which further reinforces my notion that maybe its just a change in taste that drives the market today.

Running full-circle back to Scuba, however, that idea of quick disposable entertainment is possibly the reason for the decline in outdoor sports such as diving - and particularly, Technical Diving - since most of these sports involve a fair amount of Training and Practice, not to mention Expense to participate in.

Add in the element of Danger involved in scuba (of any sort), and it seems to me that we have a generation that would rather watch than do.

But I could be wrong.

Kevin.

RBW Member yorkie_chris is an unknown quantity at this point yorkie_chris's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by heyydude  View Original Post
    ....And you wonder why the Scuba Biz is hurting...

Kevin.
    Did you never have drunken fuckwittery as a kid then? Only difference now is it is caught on camera!

King of the Geeks
    HAMMERHEAD!

Quote Originally Posted by yorkie_chris  View Original Post
    Did you never have drunken fuckwittery as a kid then? Only difference now is it is caught on camera!
    Absolutely. Thank goodness Glass Plates took too long to expose when I was a kid...

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Quote Originally Posted by tmccar1  View Original Post
    Yea, this new generation is the worst. That damn generation that raised them really shoulda taught them better!

You want to know why this generation isn't diving?

Combine that with the much higher (inflation adjusted) cost of getting into diving, in order to meet todays higher safety standards, and of course it's suffering.

Every generation feels that the one after it is the worst ever.
    New house $270k!! fark me. Here in Auckland you would be lucky to get a new house at 4 times that!

RBW Member haaginheimer is an unknown quantity at this point haaginheimer's Avatar
    KISS GEM (modified)

Dolphin, Prism 2, Poseidon

Not the expert here by any amount. Having recently certified over the last 2 years from owings/knowing nothing to CCR/SCR

It's the money. Just certifying through PADI and TDI was probably $4-5k (classes and books and taking time for quarries etc) and on top of that just in OC I was about $5k in gear for good regs, drysuit, wetsuits, BCD, etc. Add in a RB and it jumped another $5-10k

Most "kids" today don't have $10-20k and 2 years of patience to build up the skill set and knowledge required for technical diving. I've been blessed with some awesome instructors who ignited a passion for further growth but shops now just push people through for revenue and it's really the independent instructors who seem to me that really make a difference.

If you factor the additional costs in maintaining a RB for sorb, tank and unit maintenance (if needs to be sent in) and everything else - the Xbox 360 looks like a good deal in comparison

Photographer & Journalist John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard's Avatar
    rEvo II Mini Hybrid

The problem with the nanny state is that individually every little rule makes sense. Do I want a regulator that meets a standard or not? Do I want cylinders that go bang when being filled or not? Do I want a qualified buddy or not? Do I want a charter skipper who remembers how many divers are on the boat or not? They all make sense. But collectively all those little (and not so little) regulations add up to a stifling bureaucracy.

Then we have a bunch of ambulance chasing ghouls and legal systems that enable such parasites to exist tightening the noose.

Having got there, have you ever known a bureaucrat approve a reduction in bureaucracy?

Pandering to the nanny state, Put Another Dollar In used the bureaucracy as an excuse to make scuba instructing a supposedly more professional and profitable profession and every other training agency has jumped on the bandwagon.

We can blame the attention span of the average youth of today. But ultimately the fault lies with the culture we and our wise elders short shortsightedly created.

Diving anarchy may not have been as safe, but it was cheap, sustainable and a lot of fun.

RBW Member markdol2 is an unknown quantity at this point markdol2's Avatar
    hammerhead extreeme

Unhappy Re: Why The Scuba Industry is Suffering...

Quote Originally Posted by michael-fisch  View Original Post
    horse collars were only used by woosies, real men used their lungs and fins.

Michael
    Hey you hurt my feelings!My mom says i should quit diving.
    Last edited by markdol2; 13th March 2017 at 06:06.