+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: flying with CCR?

RBW Member jeffgrainger is an unknown quantity at this point jeffgrainger's Avatar
    megalodon

Unhappy flying with CCR?

Hi All
    My partner and I are planning a 6 month rebreather trip round the world. During the trip we will visit the US (incl Hawaii), Grand Cayman, NewZealand, Australia and Indonesia, diving our megs all the way! My question is does anyone have experience of taking ccr tanks with them on flights to any of these places (espec the US with American Airlines). We were thinking in terms of taking 2 ltr aluminium Dil and O2 tanks with us (in some places tanks are not so easy to get and in other very expensive to hire e.g. $95 a set for a week - OK for one week but 4 weeks!).

Had some feedback that this can be a difficult experience with check in, TSA and additional baggage costs? we were thinking of just putting the opened tanks into our hold bags but want to know if this is likely to cause problems such as a check in freak out, tank confiscation or surprise charges.

hope someone out there can advise

RBW Member ffdiver5597 is an unknown quantity at this point ffdiver5597's Avatar

Re: flying with CCR?

The TSA allows unpressurized tanks with the valves off to fly checked but each airline makes their own rules about what they allow as checked baggage. As far as I know JetBlue, Virgin America do not allow tanks to fly at all.

I personally found it more economical to use UPS to ship a small container with my tanks to a few different locations. If you have a business you can qualify for a discount through UPS and it makes it super easy to ship your tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Valves off (bagged), CARRY ON, don't ask/don't tell! TSA will let you carry on UNPRESSURIZED cylinders and they can give a rip about what airline you fly. Once through the TSA checkpoint board your flight as normal but don't ask any questions at the counter or gate, you will be "asking" for problems with airline employees who have no clue about what is ok and what isn't.

http://blog.tsa.gov/2012/05/its-time...avel-tips.html
    https://alertdiver.eu/en_US/articles...to-comply-with
    https://www.faa.gov/about/initiative...nfo/?hazmat=49

Do a search on RBW for traveling with a rebreather, there are loads of entries with people's experiences. Also, don't travel with bags marked with dive gear logos etc, that's a sure way to get an extra screen when checking them as well as a second look by nefarious people who may want to take some of it home with them behind the scenes

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by jeffgrainger  View Original Post
    Hi All
    My partner and I are planning a 6 month rebreather trip round the world. During the trip we will visit the US (incl Hawaii), Grand Cayman, NewZealand, Australia and Indonesia, diving our megs all the way! My question is does anyone have experience of taking ccr tanks with them on flights to any of these places (espec the US with American Airlines). We were thinking in terms of taking 2 ltr aluminium Dil and O2 tanks with us (in some places tanks are not so easy to get and in other very expensive to hire e.g. $95 a set for a week - OK for one week but 4 weeks!).

Had some feedback that this can be a difficult experience with check in, TSA and additional baggage costs? we were thinking of just putting the opened tanks into our hold bags but want to know if this is likely to cause problems such as a check in freak out, tank confiscation or surprise charges.

hope someone out there can advise
    Hello Jeff, sounds like it's going to be a really great experience. I have flown with cylinders many times, and never really had a problem. But, if you plan your trip around diving with rebreather friendly operators, they will have back gas cylinders. If my memory serves correctly Megs are very adaptable to different cylinder sizes, which will make it that much easier. Just make sure you contact each shop and let them know how many dil and 02 cylinders you need.

I would also like to say that in my opinion after having dived with Meg divers, no matter how much bailout you carry, you should not dive with less than 3ltr/20 cuft tanks for back gas in the open ocean. While it is highly unlikely you will ever get caught in a strong down current, it has happened to me, and the Meg diver I was driving with only had 2 L cylinders and managed to blow through all their dil trying to regain buoyancy control.

Another thing to consider is, are you OK doing 45 minute dives with a bunch of bubble blowers to recreational depths? Or, do you want to dive longer and stay away from the OC divers for maximum wildlife interactions? I simply won't go to a place where I have to dive with OC Divers. Most operators are willing to accommodate this, either by letting the CCR divers go in first and come out last or by sending them in the opposite direction from the OC divers. This is something you must obviously work out before you get there, but I have found that 70 to 80 minute dives by going in first and coming out last, is usually OK with the operator. Sometimes if the operator is doing three dives on the same trip, it's possible for the CCR divers to come out after dive 2 has started, have a surface interval and get back in the water as the second OC dive is ending, and then everybody gets out together after the third dive. I have managed to do 2 100+ minute dives a day this way.

Also, you must let them know your dive plan and that you will deploy an SMB during deco/safety stop. In other words, make things as easy as possible for the boat crew and they will let you do your thing.

If you're diving in the Pacific, I would recommend Papua New Guinea, Indonesia and the Philippines in that order. I've been to all 3 multiple times and happy to recommend specific places and operations if you need. Happy trails! -Andy
    Last edited by silent running; 3rd March 2017 at 03:55.

RBW Member Blubberschlumpf is an unknown quantity at this point Blubberschlumpf's Avatar
    Poseidon Se7en

I have the same problem. In december we will flight with Lufthansa to Tokyo and than with United Airlins to Truk and Yap.

With Lufthansa is no problem, I have done it some times with cylinders. But the UA.

Was anyone flying wiht cylinders wiht UA? The cylinders must realy open?

RBW Member macado is an unknown quantity at this point macado's Avatar
    rEvo II Mini-Aquaseal Edition

I travel with my 3L and 2L cylinders frequently back and forth to Mexico and US.

A couple things, don't volunteer to airlines or TSA that you're carrying cylinders. Don't ask, don't tell. I flown with them both as carry on and checked luggage. I prefer to check tanks and bring my rebreather as a carry-on item.

Take valves off (place them in ziplock bag), put a piece of painters tape over cylinder openings or those plastic plugs that come with brand new cylinders. I don't usually use those plastic plugs in case TSA is dumb enough to think they're still pressured so I found tape to be a "safer" bet.

Print out TSA regulations from their own website, highlight section where tanks are allowed and tape them with your name and telephone number on both of the cylinders. I also tape my business card on tanks on paperwork.

My recommendation is also bring 3L cylinders if you can. 2L tanks travel well but I've found in remote areas sometimes it's not enough gas if fills are hard to come by. For example, I can do 2 days (at least 4 dives) on my 3L cylinders if I am being stingy with O2 flushes and dil flushes (running my wing off my bailout). I've ran into places that would only fill O2 to 145 bar or so which is annoying to me in 2L cylinders. For me it's more out of laziness. If I am doing 2 recreational dives a day I don't need to get fills every day.

For your rebreather, use small and simple words like "Diving Equipment." Don't explain to them it's a mixed gas rebreather, they're not going to know what that is. Short and specific, I refer to my scrubbers as "filters." Since I'm a cheap bastard I occasionally travel with fully packed scrubbers.

RBW Member jeffgrainger is an unknown quantity at this point jeffgrainger's Avatar
    megalodon

Many thanks for all the replies they are really helpful. It certainly seems that the best policy is to keep quiet and 'speak no evil'. I know it would be easier to just hire as we go just the cost involved! 3 litres would be better for more dive time and safety but the downside is the weight. One advantage of the meg is the off board option so an O2 bail out between us, as well as the air dil, may be A good idea.

Really looking forward to the trip. Florida Keys to begin with and then on to Grand Cayman. Lots of great wrecks on the trip, looking forward to the Lemontov and Yongala later.

Cognitive surrender TopLeft is an unknown quantity at this point TopLeft's Avatar
    Evolution+

Evolution

I'm sure it's a well expressed tidbit, but I always have a dive magazine with me as well to serve as a visual reference.

Best of luck with the trip. I'm envious of the duration and locations!

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by jeffgrainger  View Original Post
    Many thanks for all the replies they are really helpful. It certainly seems that the best policy is to keep quiet and 'speak no evil'. I know it would be easier to just hire as we go just the cost involved! 3 litres would be better for more dive time and safety but the downside is the weight. One advantage of the meg is the off board option so an O2 bail out between us, as well as the air dil, may be A good idea.

Really looking forward to the trip. Florida Keys to begin with and then on to Grand Cayman. Lots of great wrecks on the trip, looking forward to the Lemontov and Yongala later.
    Hi Jeff, not sure which operations you're diving with, but I have found the cost of renting cylinders to be very reasonable in most places. Where they get you is on the sorb, as it's very heavy and has to come from far away, so they charge a premium probably also because of customs/duty... -Andy

RBW Member Se7en_diver is an unknown quantity at this point Se7en_diver's Avatar
    Poseidon Se7en

I've had all good experiences flying with a rebreather in my carry on; about 1/2 the time it goes right thru the x-ray without question or the screener will ask "dive gear?" and let it go. Once, I even forgot to remove my dive knife off my rebreather and they didn't catch it...

Travelling with bottles sometimes easiest (and cheapest). Shipping ahead of time is also good, but costs me about $100 round trip vs. putting in my luggage for free. Also suggest taping the top of the tanks. Or others have suggested taping a clear plastic bag over the opening so they can even see into the tank without removing the tape. Only flew with tanks once (to Mexico) and put my O2 bottle in my carry-on and the dil in my checked bag. TSA removed the plastic top off my dil bottle and didn't replace it. Not so good for an O2 bottle.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast