+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rebreather Use in the Philippines

RBW Member killey is an unknown quantity at this point killey's Avatar
    rEvo III

Evolution / Inspiration

Smile Rebreather Use in the Philippines

I'm headed to the Philippines in January 2018. I've heard rumor that some of the inter island regional flights (like those necessary for travel between Puerto Galera and Dumaguete) have some weird/strict rules regarding carry-on. Some have even heard that a simple first and second stage regulator weren't allowed as carry-on?? I've travelled the world with my rEvo rebreather as carry-on luggage and just want to know if there is any special local protocol when flying with a rebreather into the Philippines. Please advise any good local support recommendations or outfits to stay away from. I'll be staying at Atlantis Resorts at both locations. Thanks for any insight you might have!

RBW Member jale is on a distinguished road jale is on a distinguished road jale's Avatar
    Sidekick, Joki, Flex, HH, C96

Re: Rebreather Use in the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by killey  View Original Post
    I'm headed to the Philippines in January 2018. I've heard rumor that some of the inter island regional flights (like those necessary for travel between Puerto Galera and Dumaguete) have some weird/strict rules regarding carry-on. Some have even heard that a simple first and second stage regulator weren't allowed as carry-on?? I've travelled the world with my rEvo rebreather as carry-on luggage and just want to know if there is any special local protocol when flying with a rebreather into the Philippines. Please advise any good local support recommendations or outfits to stay away from. I'll be staying at Atlantis Resorts at both locations. Thanks for any insight you might have!
    Hi
    I suppose you mean flight between Manila and Dumaguete :)
    As for the regulations in the Philippines is all down to luck and after travelling extensively there I have concluded that every piece in metal is an excuse for the security people to open the bag and to give you troubles. So now I only take the plastic parts of my machines with me as carry-on and everything else goes in the cargo. But in January 2018, mybe the reality would be different :)
    I don't get your point of asking about "good local support recommendations" if you already know you will stay with Atlantis.
    Jale

RBW Member killey is an unknown quantity at this point killey's Avatar
    rEvo III

Evolution / Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by jale  View Original Post
    Hi

I don't get your point of asking about "good local support recommendations" if you already know you will stay with Atlantis.
    Jale
    Thank you for your reply. What I meant by that was if there were other local guides or outfitters that would be willing to offer a more tech dive (either depth or in water time) that would more conducive to rebreather diving. I'm certain the folks at Atlantis are excellent guides but I believe they are used to open circuit divers and not rebreathers or tech divers.

RBW Member leonard_yu is an unknown quantity at this point leonard_yu's Avatar
    rEvo Micro FT

TechAsia at PG can support all tech and rebreather diving. You can find the contact of Dave easily online. No idea of Dumaguette. It's true sometimes they would challenge you for regulators, but usually I told them rEvo is very expensive and could not be checked in and they would let me go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still Searching matt_reed is an unknown quantity at this point matt_reed's Avatar
    Pelagian

http://ots.gov.ph/images/memos/mc-2015-02.pdf

Supposedly item E here, where it says "Scuba Diving Equipment" is what they use to say you cannot carry on dive gear. However as mentioned it is definitely open to interpretation or effort by the individuals on staff that day.

As for CCR friendly operations there are a few. As mentioned Tech Asia in PG, and you could ask for Jim at Liquid in Dumaguete. As you're stuck to those locations you'll miss out on the CCR only dives with Thresher sharks here in Malapascua. But once you realise how great the Philippines is then you'll be coming back for sure. Just send me a meesage and we can arrange some ace CCR diving here at Evolution.

Enjoy your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_reed  View Original Post

Supposedly item E here, where it says "Scuba Diving Equipment" is what they use to say you cannot carry on dive gear. However as mentioned it is definitely open to interpretation or effort by the individuals on staff that day.

As for CCR friendly operations there are a few. As mentioned Tech Asia in PG, and you could ask for Jim at Liquid in Dumaguete. As you're stuck to those locations you'll miss out on the CCR only dives with Thresher sharks here in Malapascua. But once you realise how great the Philippines is then you'll be coming back for sure. Just send me a meesage and we can arrange some ace CCR diving here at Evolution.

Enjoy your trip.

I can fully recommend Evolution as a an perfect Operator for CCR Diving on Malapascua. What ever you want to dive they can arrange it.

regarding your qestion about the carry on... when i left cebu Airport i had my rebreather (SF2) in the carry on and my girlfriend had soem stage regs in her carry on.... however the guys at the security check didnīt care about the carry on with the breather they just picked the one with the regs and i had to put them in the non carry on luggage.... that was in Nov `15.

regards

Tim

RBW Member jale is on a distinguished road jale is on a distinguished road jale's Avatar
    Sidekick, Joki, Flex, HH, C96

Quote Originally Posted by TimTimer  View Original Post
    I can fully recommend Evolution as a an perfect Operator for CCR Diving on Malapascua. What ever you want to dive they can arrange it.
    Don't agree with that but it is not related to the topic :)

RBW Member Mike B is an unknown quantity at this point Mike B's Avatar
    Classic KISS, MK15.5

Carried a KISS as hand luggage a couple of times through the Philippines no problem. 2018 is a long time off and suggest check again nearer the time.

Evolution is a fantastic operator for CCR support. Combine that with long bottom, minimal deco watching threshers, even better!

RBW Member TommyGun is an unknown quantity at this point TommyGun's Avatar
    UTD MXZ-MCCR (Kiss)

they have also had trouble with my first stages in my carry on... i plan to carry only the head (kiss classic) on board with me in the future.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by matt_reed  View Original Post

Enjoy your trip.

+2 for evolution Divers, my wife and I spent two weeks driving there, the thresher shark experience is unlike any I have had diving anywhere else in the world, and there is a nice WW2 wreck as well. Matt runs a great operation, and the establishment of the marine park really makes a difference, with much better results than the one near Alona. I highly recommend making a stop in Malapascua for any CCR divers traveling to PI.

As for travel, I had no trouble getting into the country with my rebreather in carry-on, including the regulators. However upon leaving, I had to take my O2 regulator off as it was the only thing hard plumbed into the system. This was a pain in the ass as all my tools were in the checked bags and necessitated recalling the checked bags from the airline to access the tools and repack the O2 regs. I resent the Filipino authorities for their busybody BS as I'm sure there's a fair amount of $ generated by dive tourism. That being said, one can easily avoid conflict by simply putting all regulators in checked bags... -Andy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast