+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Carry breather on plane?

RBW Member DarthCoker is on a distinguished road DarthCoker is on a distinguished road DarthCoker's Avatar
    KISS Classic

IDA 64, Dolphin

Carry breather on plane?

I am headed to Palau and wont to take my KISS Orca Lite on plane (those jerks from United have lost it before) - no Tanks or Sorb, just the rig.
    Has anyone done this before? any problems, if so?

S Coker

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Re: Carry breather on plane?

Carried a breather on plane yes
    carried a kiss breather on plane yes
    carried a breather to Palau not yet.

carried a kiss sport, a number of megs, a hollis p2, an ISC pathfinder, no problems. Have had damaged breathers in checked luggage before though.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

You should be able to carry in the unit overhead compartment with no problem. Just ship your tanks ahead or drain them and check them on, take the valves off, cover the top with tape.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

RBW Member Goferrin99 is an unknown quantity at this point Goferrin99's Avatar
    Nil

Quote Originally Posted by Chett.L  View Original Post
    You should be able to carry in the unit overhead compartment with no problem. Just ship your tanks ahead or drain them and check them on, take the valves off, cover the top with tape.

Best regards,
    Several airlines won't take tanks with anything covering the opening just in case you fill the tank with a zombie killing nerve gas ��

I just pull the valve and wrap them in a plastic bag. Arrive early as you will get questions and remember to pull any oxygen stickers. They are air tanks not oxygen cylinders!!

RBW Member Bubblemaster is an unknown quantity at this point Bubblemaster's Avatar
    ISC Megalodon CE

Draeger dolphin, Inspiration

Don't ask the stewardess and put it in a light looking sportbag. The sportbags are usually not moved to checkin in case of a shortage of storage overhead rooom. The trolleys are usually always labelled for checkin in case of storage problem.

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

He said no tanks in his original post so that won't be an issue.

CARRY IT ON, DO NOT CHECK IT.

As stated by others, use a non-descriptive bag (those "I dive the world" and have so many certifications bags are the worst thing you can travel with, logo bags are also a no-no.) Don't ask, don't tell unless the TSA agents bring it up in the screening area. The less you say/ draw attention to yourself the better off you will be.

Especially don't ask a counter/gate agent... they more than likely will call a supervisor or TSA for clarification. Some airlines charge fees for items they feel are excessive or high value.

This issue has been gone over many times on RBW, do a search for traveling with your rebreather.

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

I'm going to truk in October, was going to use my pelican case to ship breather, but hand carry light cannister and meg head.

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Quote Originally Posted by whynot?  View Original Post
    He said no tanks in his original post so that won't be an issue.

CARRY IT ON, DO NOT CHECK IT.

As stated by others, use a non-descriptive bag (those "I dive the world" and have so many certifications bags are the worst thing you can travel with, logo bags are also a no-no.) Don't ask, don't tell unless the TSA agents bring it up in the screening area. The less you say/ draw attention to yourself the better off you will be.

Especially don't ask a counter/gate agent... they more than likely will call a supervisor or TSA for clarification. Some airlines charge fees for items they feel are excessive or high value.

This issue has been gone over many times on RBW, do a search for traveling with your rebreather.
    Right about the tanks. Thanks, Nice new picture you got there on the sail cat boat.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Here is a post that you may want to look at regarding flying with your unit.
    The post is called:
    TSA Question for checking in a Rebreather on a Aircraft
    http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?

I have always carried my rebreather and stored it in the overhead compartment on the aircraft.

This time I am checking it in and packing it inside of a storm case, which is like a pelican box, hard plastic case.

• I will not bring any tanks.

• I will not bring any sorb

• I will remove the sensors so they do not get damaged.

I think I will put plastic zip ties, two of them in the locking part of the case.

I will ask TSA to re-lock using zip ties once they open up the box. Question is this a mistake?

Besides putting on the outside of the box fragile handle with care, what suggestions should I write to TSA once they open up the storm case.
    I may also translate my letter to TSA in Spanish and English.

Thank you.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Hey Chett:

Yeah, love flying the cat in the surf. That picture is from a 70's documentary on Hobiecat racing in Australia...

Regarding your question:

I will ask TSA to re-lock using zip ties once they open up the box. Question is this a mistake?

I would be very surprised if the TSA rezips anything. I haven't been too impressed with their "repacking" when I've had to fly commercial. Using zipties (especially colored) is a great way to see if your luggage has been tampered with if checked, just make sure and fully zip it tight so that it can't be reused.

Not sure where you are off too but the 1st option for me would always be to keep my rig at my side. Also, I think an airline's liability for lost/damaged luggage is limited and really low, you may want to check with the airline you are flying.

But I can't stress this enough, DO NOT travel with any luggage that hints at scuba gear, diving etc. Especially in countries where baggage theft is rampant (South America etc.) You are asking for trouble, travel like a tourist and use luggage that blends in, especially if traveling overseas.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast