+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New checklist for JJ, request for comments

RBW Member doctormike is an unknown quantity at this point doctormike's Avatar
    JJ

New checklist for JJ, request for comments

Hi,

I'm a new JJ diver, 13 hours past certification. I'm working on optimizing my checklist (post-build, but not pre-flight), and I was wondering if any of you had any comments or suggestions for mine.

Thanks in advance!

Mike
    Attached Files

RBW Member SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK's Avatar

Re: New checklist for JJ, request for comments

RBW Member JohnnyC is an unknown quantity at this point JohnnyC's Avatar

I'm not a JJ diver, but it seems kind of spartan. It doesn't look nearly specific enough for a build checklist, and way too complex for a pre-flight.

I've redone my Meg checklist from the factory one, the post linked above has a couple Meg specific examples that detail why I stepped away from the factory one as it stands, and only use it in a modified form for a build checklist. However, it also reads like the original author doesn't dive a Meg and cherry picked some specifics out that aren't really valid issues, so grain of salt.

That doesn't mean that the Meg checklist is good or bad or should be used as a template, but it does demonstrate that being unfamiliar, or even complacent, with a checklist presents its own set of issues. Which goes back to why we use well-written checklists in the first place.

The best post in that thread is actually Skipbreathers. Read it a few times and then reevaluate your own checklist. That's the way I've developed both my Meg and Pelagian checklists. DO and DONE. DO is build and it's very detailed and preps for transport. DONE is pre-flight before getting wet. It is much more akin to the Revo pre-jump checklist, but for my own units.
    Last edited by JohnnyC; 27th November 2016 at 20:09.

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK  View Original Post
    Thanks! Will take a look...

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC  View Original Post
    I'm not a JJ diver, but it seems kind of spartan. It doesn't look nearly specific enough for a build checklist, and way too complex for a pre-flight.
    Thanks for the reply!

It's definitely not a pre-flight, that's on a little laminated card and very brief. And as per my training, I don't use a build checklist. Building the unit is fairly straightforward, and any mistake in putting it together from parts would show up in this checklist, I think.

This checklist is actually a significant expansion over what I used in training. I mean, there is no end to granularity that you could go in making a more and more elaborate checklist, and at some point you pass the point of diminishing returns.

However, as I mentioned, I'm a very new CCR diver, so I'm definitely open to any and all suggestions. What do you think is not specific enough..?

Mike

RBW Member hamishmorrison is an unknown quantity at this point hamishmorrison's Avatar
    JJ DiveCAN

Not too dissimilar to mine & it looks like you got all the major elements there.

I also started with the standard JJ list & have gradually made my own 'improvements' that help me build the unit up in a deliberate manner. This is still an ongoing evolution & I'll probably keep on tweaking it but it does what it needs to!

Of your list the only thing I'd probably not bother with explicitly is the cell mv as my feeling is that the reading in air at surface pressure is not very useful in determining if they are failing. I'd be looking more at how they behave during calibration for any unusual behaviour.

As you're in the US I guess you don't have the CE version which has a flowstop?

I'd agree that it is always possible to keep adding things to a checklist, but making them more complex probably means that things get skipped over. Keep it simple & streamlined & give yourself a bit of credit for knowing the basics of how to assemble the unit.

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by hamishmorrison  View Original Post
    Of your list the only thing I'd probably not bother with explicitly is the cell mv as my feeling is that the reading in air at surface pressure is not very useful in determining if they are failing. I'd be looking more at how they behave during calibration for any unusual behaviour.
    Thanks! That's based on a few textbooks that talk about the importance of maintaining a voltage log and looking for the voltage with 100% O2 being 4.76 x the voltage with air, to monitor linearity, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by hamishmorrison  View Original Post
    As you're in the US I guess you don't have the CE version which has a flowstop?
    Right, I have the International version. What do you think about adding the flowstop?

RBW Member hamishmorrison is an unknown quantity at this point hamishmorrison's Avatar
    JJ DiveCAN

I have a couple of Excel graphs that I use to track battery voltage & cell mv but this seems to me to only show what you'd expect to see. i.e. a slow linear degradation in performance over time. As far as I'm aware, without a cell tester there's just no way to drive the output high enough to see if they are current limited. It's probably most useful for tracking solenoid & controller battery life.

I like the flow stop. Never had to use it for real but it made using the the unit as an O2 rebreather at 6m on the course one of the easier drills to accomplish! Just isolate the dil, O2 flush & you're at 1.6 PPO. Having said that, its probably the one part that consistently causes the unit to fail a negative test. It's been taken apart & cleaned on multiple occasions which seems to help, but before long, same problem. On balance though I rather it was there than not.
    Last edited by hamishmorrison; 28th November 2016 at 07:30.

RBW Member dunny is an unknown quantity at this point dunny's Avatar
    JJ

I would add:

Add tube weights (if you use them) - I use to always forget and then have to take the cylinders off again
    Grease can/head o-rings
    Personally I also check the IP, especially if doing a deep dive

Phil

RBW Member NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Quote Originally Posted by dunny  View Original Post
    Add tube weights (if you use them) - I use to always forget and then have to take the cylinders off again
    Why take them out?

Mine live in the tubes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast