+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Training for in water recompression?

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Re: Training for in water recompression?

Quote Originally Posted by Garibaldi  View Original Post
    I did stick divers who were showing signs of DCI back in the water at their request using air, Nitrox 50 and O2 on an abbreviated schedule. I basically monitored them and recompressed them.

Since even a chamber isn't going to put you below 3ATA unless you have an exceptionally bad hit or embolism (both of which aren't really treatable in water anyway) I don't think the sub-70ft time/stops on air did them much good in your case. EAN50 and O2 are going to cover the vast majority of plausible IWR situations.

I'd guess a sizable number of tech divers have done more deco as IWR or field fixing their DCS. Without formal training in IWR per se.

Quote Originally Posted by rjack  View Original Post
    I don't think the sub-70ft time/stops on air did them much good in your case. EAN50 and O2 are going to cover the vast majority of plausible IWR situations.
    To clarify, I didn't use air in the recompression plan. Only for backgas breaks and for bailout. And so they had some buoyancy.

The divers came up, were bent, grabbed some recreational gear, attached two partially filled 40s of nitrox and O2, jumped back in and did IWR.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

To clarify, I didn't use air in the recompression plan. Only for backgas breaks and for bailout. And so they had some buoyancy.

The divers came up, were bent, grabbed some recreational gear, attached two partially filled 40s of nitrox and O2, jumped back in and did IWR.

Right on

Dive different. cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys's Avatar
    MK15.5, MK15, LARV

KISS Classic

There is a lot of danger to IWR in general. It is a risky proposition and I don’t think taking a class changes that risk. Anyone who is injured is at risk when they decide to re-enter the water. Conventional diving medicine will tell you “Absolutely do not do this” for fear of lawsuits. I had guys that were willing to take the risks and accommodated their requests.
    The only thing is that if your IWR wasn't successful, you had a chamber 1.5 miles away, unless it was down for some reason at the time.

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

If you are looking for something a bit closer, you might want to reach out to Joe Dituri.

Best way to track him down would probably be on FB.

I have attended a couple presentations that he has delivered and I think it's great knowledge to have.

Dive Safe!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by cys  View Original Post
    The only thing is that if your IWR wasn't successful, you had a chamber 1.5 miles away, unless it was down for some reason at the time.
    Very true. It was dumbfounding to me for sure that they didn't want a chamber ride since the Catalina chamber was about 5 minutes away.

These are some old school NAUI guys. Hardcore divers and refused any treatment for DCS, preferring to take care of it "on their own" rather than go to the chamber. I have dove with them for a long time. Their treatment of choice is Myers rum rather that oxygen to treat skin bends.

I cannot speak for their choices, only my own to help treat them using IWR. I am guessing that a chamber ride would have caused them to miss happy hour at the Marlin Club later than evening but that is just speculation on my part. :)

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

I'd be interested to hear Dr Simon Mitchell's opinion on this topic as in some cases it is the only viable option available......

John H Hanzl johnnyh is an unknown quantity at this point johnnyh's Avatar
    rEvo Micro III

Sentinel Expedition Travel

Man, I can't even begin to imagine doing IWR when I got hit last year. I'm pretty sure I'd have drown if I had tried it. Granted, my hit was pretty bad, but still even the thought of trying it haunts me. I was in cave country FL at the time and even with support from my buddies who were running in high gear getting me the care I needed it was 7 hours until I was in a chamber (in Valdosta, Georgia)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0t8djdervQw

But if it happened again, and I was presented with IWR vs seven hour delay to chamber, I'd take chamber. Plus surface O2 and access to access higher level medical should be factored in.
    John Hanzl

Author, Out of Hell's Kitchen
    www.outofhellskitchen.com

Meg

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyh  View Original Post
    Man, I can't even begin to imagine doing IWR when I got hit last year. I'm pretty sure I'd have drown if I had tried it. Granted, my hit was pretty bad, but still even the thought of trying it haunts me. I was in cave country FL at the time and even with support from my buddies who were running in high gear getting me the care I needed it was 7 hours until I was in a chamber (in Valdosta, Georgia)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0t8djdervQw

But if it happened again, and I was presented with IWR vs seven hour delay to chamber, I'd take chamber. Plus surface O2 and access to access higher level medical should be factored in.

Oh absolutely, your symptoms were way past the level where IWR might be applied.

Are you 100% and back in the water now?

RBW Member Africadiver is an unknown quantity at this point Africadiver's Avatar
    Megalodon, Pathfinder

Inspiration

We did some deep wreck dives off the South African Wild Coast a little while ago. We were about 12 miles off shore. The only way that DAN could casevac a diver in an emergency was if we drove for 4 hours on a terrible dirt road to an airfield, and then the only aircraft available would be a fixed wing. In-water recompression became a very real option in the event of an incident. We'd established protocols from previous expeditions elsewhere, but nothing that would work for the area where we were diving. We really had to apply our minds, seek expert advice and develop proper protocols.

What became clear when chatting to the medical guys and other experts was that if you started IWR, you had to commit to completing it. Aborting a treatment would likely leave you in worse state than when you started, but also complicate and possibly compromise subsequent chamber treatments. IWR requires detailed planning and practice. You cannot leave a single factor to chance, otherwise it will likely end in tears.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast