+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Golem Gear Shipping Prices

RBW Member Steverin06 is an unknown quantity at this point Steverin06's Avatar
    Liberty

Golem Gear Shipping Prices

Anyone else getting gouged by Golem's shipping prices? Here's my example.

I needed another set of male Lola tank mounts for a 2nd set of tanks. The only two places I know of that can get these is Darren Fox (no way in hell), and Golem Gear. When I made my order I noticed the shipping price was ridiculous - $17.40 for two small pieces of metal. I made the order anyway because I thought I had no other options, but I emailed Jakub to inquire as to how these could cost so much to ship. Attached is his reply.

So I went on usps using my click-n-ship account and got a quote: $4.50. So how is it that an individual can ship the same thing for nearly 25% of the cost, but a company like Golem Gear has no control over overcharging customers for shipping? I decided to wait until I received the package to make full judgement - maybe he shipped them in a large box for whatever reason.

When the package came in, Jakub made it very easy to figure out how much it really cost him to ship these mounts. See the attached photos - he used a padded flat rate envelope. It costs $6.80 to ship this anywhere in the states or APO. My order was $40, so Jakub made an extra 27% of pure profit off this order by screwing me over on shipping - nice.

In stark contrast, I'd like to describe the behavior of a company I do a lot of business with - Piranha Dive Mfg. When I first ordered with them, they too quoted a ridiculous price for shipping one of their excellent quality hoses that are half the price of anyone else's. However before I could email them asking why - Piranha refunded me the difference between the actual shipping cost and their online quote. Reference the attached email. Somehow, someway they found a way to make shipping costs reasonable by using flat rate boxes and refunding costumers the difference. Not only that, they noticed I was military so offered me and all of my military friends a 10% off discount for all orders. Now that's why I always check out Pirhana Dive first when I need something.
    Attached Images

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

Angry Re: Golem Gear Shipping Prices

Well Steve, maybe your gripes with Darren were justified, maybe not.
    But in a short period of time, like 4 days, you have managed to piss off a lot of people.
    Keep it up and no one will want to have anything to do with you, sell you anything, or dive with you. It's called cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Yes, you can fly an F-15C solo, but no one will let you dive solo, with good reason.
    Either mend your britches or keep your mouth shut until you gain a hell of a lot more experience.

Michael

Liberty

Re: Golem Gear Shipping Prices

I guess I should just let everyone take advantage of me and not say anything right?

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

You got it.
    You can also deal locally with whoever is still willing to deal with you.

Michael

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Steverin06  View Original Post
    I guess I should just let everyone take advantage of me and not say anything right?
    That might be wise. Unless you want to fly to Czechoslovakia. Assuming they haven't heard about your "reviews"; they might still be willing to sell to you directly.

I've always been quite happy with Lof's service, a bunch of items have been backordered lately and he's shipped the remainder of my orders at his expense.

RBW Member jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner's Avatar
    APD Evolution

Wow. What a thread. No wonder this place is so quiet.

Liberty

The fact that no one who's replied has addressed the actual facts of what happened is telling.

Fact: Golem gear charged me a ridiculous price to ship two small pieces of metal. When I inquired, and gave Golem Gear the chance to do the right thing, Jakub fed me 100% BS that he has no control over the costs of shipping. Then he proceeded to put my mounts in a flat rate envelope which cost nearly a third to ship than what he charged me.

No worries, I'll keep doing business with DGX, Piranha, Add-Helium, etc. They don't mind being held accountable, because they do the right thing in the first place. The fact that y'all can't handle businesses being held accountable blows my mind.

SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

Steve, we're happy that you are happy, and hope that you will stay happy with the suppliers left to you.
    Right now you're happily flying a plane that is at least 31 years old and may have been delivered to the USAF as early as 1975, so you should be easy to keep happy.
    The equipment I trust my life to is a whole lot newer, as is your Liberty.

Hopefully you won't suffer the same fate as the A380 pilot who sold me his rebreather 2 years ago, after suffering a blowup from 50+M with some uncured DCS symptoms the Lufthansa Flight Surgeon told him in no uncertain terms that if it happens again he would never again pass a flight physical, and in your case nobody retires from the USAF as a captain.

I have always been happy with my dealings with Jakub at Golem Gear, who has gone way out of his way to keep me diving. With the exception of Martin at Tecme and Curt at DPVRepair there aren't many other suppliers that always come through and are always willing to go the extra mile for me.

Michael

Liberty

Michael, thank you for the kind words. Believe me, with the PLAAF 360 miles away we're constantly reminded how old our jets are. They are at best near peer to us in technology. At worst it will only be our superior training that keeps us alive - not our tech. The ridiculous hours we have to work to ensure that happens is the reason why so many fighter pilots are getting out.

Last month while I was in Hawaii I jumped in a HANG F-22 sim. That jet is so easy to kill and survive in, its unbelievable how many we didn't make - and the raptor is 20 years old now. Now we're testing sniper pods, IRSTS, and eventually lasers to keep the Eagle in the fight.

I have no doubt that Jakub has done a lot of great things for others. I've learned a lot about the Liberty watching his videos. Just wish he would have done the same with me.

SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

Steve, sorry for being nasty before.
    Jakub does not have a great web site Ordering/shipping cost calculation, and as soon as you start using it you can get locked into options that you don't want or need.
    In my case, being in Germany, shipping anything UPS usually adds at least $100 over USPS.

Instead of using his webshop/ordering system, I send him an Email telling him exactly what I want and how I'd like it shipped (if at all possible direct from the Czech republic since it's in the EU and I don't have to fight and beg at customs for weeks), including my credit card info.
    Jakub has never done me wrong, and I trust him. If he gets all the information beforehand he can find a solution that will delight you, but his abilities to rite the wrongs created by his shop system are limited. Rewriteing his shop system would end up costing more money than he would forseeably earn in the near future, so that's out of the question.
    Let him know what you need, how you want it shipped and give him all the information he needs including what card to bill it to. If you use Paypal make sure to use the family and friends option so he doesn't have to eat the 3-4% paypal fees.
    I have always trusted him, and he has never screwed me although over the years he had a lot of opportunities to.
    Give it a try my way , Jakub is trustworthy and good people.

Michael

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast