+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone add weight in their Counterlungs

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Does anyone add weight in their Counterlungs

Not sure if all the other brands have built in weight pockets, but the Hollis Prism 2 has weight pockets in both counterlungs. I have never used them, just wondering if anyone has?

Best regards,
    Chett. L

RBW Member maxguru is an unknown quantity at this point maxguru's Avatar

Re: Does anyone add weight in their Counterlungs

Quote Originally Posted by Chett.L  View Original Post
    Not sure if all the other brands have built in weight pockets, but the Hollis Prism 2 has weight pockets in both counterlungs. I have never used them, just wondering if anyone has?

Best regards,
    With two AL80s sidemounted, aluminum backplate, drysuit with 200g undergarment... I can just sink with no weight in my counterlungs. I dive with three pounds in each one, in case I have to bailout and those tanks get floaty on me.

max

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

Put three pounds of lead in a sack then wack it off the dive bench a few times ,
    then come back and let us know what you think ,

id not bother my self , im sure you could find a better place to put some lead ,
    Last edited by Gobfish1; 1st September 2016 at 15:30.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Hi Chett, P1 has the same pockets. I tried them for trim adjustment and found them to be ineffective for helping with horizontal trim because they are too low, uncomfortable and they pulled the CLs further away/down from my chest when in a horizontal position. Further, the zippers for the pockets routinely come undone and have to be re-secured. A better idea would have been to provide weight pockets to mount on the tops of the cylinders. That would have almost certainly been cheaper and would have been more effective in achieving horizontal trim. I can't figure out why that feature of the P1 wound up on the P2, yet an improved analog secondary did not..! -Andy
    Last edited by silent running; 1st September 2016 at 15:50.

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Quote Originally Posted by maxguru  View Original Post
    With two AL80s sidemounted, aluminum backplate, drysuit with 200g undergarment... I can just sink with no weight in my counterlungs. I dive with three pounds in each one, in case I have to bailout and those tanks get floaty on me.

max
    Hi Max,

I believe I saw some pictures of your supercool unique unit, , I'd love to see some more detail pictures.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post
    Hi Chett, P1 has the same pockets. I tried them for trim adjustment and found them to be ineffective for helping with horizontal trim because they are too low, uncomfortable and they pulled the CLs further away/down from my chest when in a horizontal position. Further, the zippers for the pockets routinely come undone and have to be re-secured. A better idea would have been to provide weight pockets to mount on the tops of the cylinders. That would have almost certainly been cheaper and would have been more effective in achieving horizontal trim. I can't figure out why that feature of the P1 wound up on the P2, yet an improved analog secondary did not..! -Andy
    Hi Andy,

I can always count on you as being one of the top Prism Topaz aficionados. I know you have countlesss hours on the water. I have never added any weight in the Prism Topaz or the Hollis Prism 2 inside the counterlungs. Just wondering about it.

I add 2 pounds to the top of each steel 3 L tank. Totaling 4 pounds. The problem is finding the correct cam band and weight pocket. Somebody made me a pair of custom-made cam band with Velcro to hold a 2 pound lead weight that I attached to the top of my tanks. A few weeks ago during a dive (1) fell off and I lost it. Now I'm using a makeshift stainless steel hose clamp and a crappy weight pocket.

On the same subject, I want to eventually put my first stage regulators and steel tanks and valves both of them on top of the unit rather than the bottom of the unit. This is how the Poseidon is set up. I know some will argue that it's harder to turn off the gas if necessary but I want to get the weight of the first stage regulators and tank valves off the bottom of the unit and add it to the top of the unit. Once I do this I will post some pictures. I think overall this will help the trim getting the weight up higher on the unit.

Best regards,
    Last edited by Chett.L; 1st September 2016 at 18:48.
    Chett. L

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Quote Originally Posted by Gobfish1  View Original Post
    Put three pounds of lead in a sack then wack it off the dive bench a few times ,
    then come back and let us know what you think ,

id not bother my self , im sure you could find a better place to put some lead ,
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

RBW Member H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2 Instructor

Hollis Explorer Inst Trainer

When teaching we start off using the CL weight pockets to get a target total weight needed, then put on our custom H plate weight pockets and cut out the CL pockets. This gets us where we need to be and makes the CL's sit very close to the chest, very thin and even, this helps the ADV fire properly.-Eric

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Hi Andy,

I can always count on you as being one of the top Prism Topaz aficionados. I know you have countlesss hours on the water. I have never added any weight in the Prism Topaz or the Hollis Prism 2 inside the counterlungs. Just wondering about it.

I add 2 pounds to the top of each steel 3 L tank. Totaling 4 pounds. The problem is finding the correct cam band and weight pocket. Somebody made me a pair of custom-made cam band with Velcro to hold a 2 pound lead weight that I attached to the top of my tanks. A few weeks ago during a dive (1) fell off and I lost it. Now I'm using a makeshift stainless steel hose clamp and a crappy weight pocket.

On the same subject, I want to eventually put my first stage regulators and steel tanks and valves both of them on top of the unit rather than the bottom of the unit. This is how the Poseidon is set up. I know some will argue that it's harder to turn off the gas if necessary but I want to get the weight of the first stage regulators and tank valves off the bottom of the unit and add it to the top of the unit. Once I do this I will post some pictures. I think overall this will help the trim getting the weight up higher on the unit.

Best regards,
    Hi Chett, your call on inverting the tanks, but then you will probably need a stand to keep it sitting upright on deck? Peter told me the reason for the Prism valve down orientation is exactly what you mentioned, it's easier to open/close them down, and thus safer. Having jumped in once or twice without turning the gas on, I second the notion. I'm not perfect and having the valves up may have turned what was a silly mistake easily fixed in 2 seconds to something that could've killed me. Frankly, I'm baffled why this isn't part of CE standard, seeing as how those EU technocrats have supposedly thought of everything in their quest to save us all from ourselves.

SS clamps and basic weight pockets on the cylinders should easily solve it. I have the fiberglass cover on my P1 and zip tied pockets to the top of the cover, works great with the weight up as high as it can go. But alas, no full cover for the P2... -Andy

RBW Member maxguru is an unknown quantity at this point maxguru's Avatar

Hi Max,

I believe I saw some pictures of your supercool unique unit, , I'd love to see some more detail pictures.

Best regards,
    I'll try to take some and post them up. Prissy the Prism2 has gone through quite a few changes since she and I went on our first dive together.

First Configuration:
    Standard out of the box. Use counterlungs as shoulder straps. Added Golem buttplate, Edd Old School bungees. 5lbs each counterlung, 4lb sausage weight on backplate, 2lbs clamped to "top" of each cylinder. Hollis F1 fins, drysuit with 200g undergarment.

Second configuration:
    Swapped backplate for stainless, swapped Golem butt plate for Dive Rite Tech buttplate, ditched sausage weight.

Third Configuration:
    Swapped stock wing for Hollis SMS75 wing, ditched weights on tanks.

Fourth Configuration:
    Dropped to 3lbs in each counterlung.

Current Configuration:
    Using modified SMS75 BCD. No backplate. 3lbs each counterlung. Deep6 fins.

Buoyancy control and trim have improved along the way. Can't say if it's the tweaks, just becoming more comfortable on CCR, or both. Don't guess it matters much.

max

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast