+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Evidence based guidelines on gas density planning

RBW Member Mike Ferguson will become famous soon enough Mike Ferguson will become famous soon enough Mike Ferguson will become famous soon enough Mike Ferguson will become famous soon enough Mike Ferguson's Avatar
    Deep Pursuit & bits

inspo classic

Re: Evidence based guidelines on gas density planning

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post

In respect of the origional topic is there a safe END that would ensure gas density is not an issue? IE if I plan 25m max END for every dive can I feel confident I dont need to do gas density calculations?
    Mark

I looked at a few common gases.

air hits the lower limit at 30m
    18/45 hits the lower limit at 55m with an END of 20m
    15/55 hits the lower limit at 65m with an END of 18m
    10/52 hits the lower limit at 63m with an END of 25m
    10/70 hits the lower limit at 90m with an END of 15m

RBW Member cb1 is an unknown quantity at this point cb1's Avatar
    rEvo iii

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ferguson  View Original Post
    Mark

Hi Mark
    Interesting figures, when I apply these settings into IDECO as an example 10/70 @90M gives me an END of 23M with a SP of 1.3.
    Any idea where the difference arises?

Cathal

RBW Member jneves is on a distinguished road jneves is on a distinguished road jneves's Avatar
    Se7en/Mk6 Discovery/O2ptima

DIY/Dolphin/Ray

Are you assuming O2 as narcotic as well, or just the N2? If you are just counting N2 as narcotic then the 15m END is correct.

JNeves

rEvo iii

Thanks for pointing that out. I did have O2 down as being narcotic.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by s115  View Original Post
    Simon, I was for sure thinking this too. However, shouldn't you base the calculation on worst case scenario? ie, suspected problem with loop, I need to flush at any given depth with my selected dil, bam, suddenly im slamming myself with a much denser gas as I picked it based on the fraction of gas/pp02 calcs???
    How would dil be denser than what's in the loop before the flush? What am I missing here?

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ferguson  View Original Post
    Mark

Excelent many thanks

rEvo iii

Pardon my ignorance, can anyone explain the theory behind having O2 entered in your dive planner as being narcotic or not.

Much appreciated.

RBW Member manni-yunk is an unknown quantity at this point manni-yunk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cb1  View Original Post
    Pardon my ignorance, can anyone explain the theory behind having O2 entered in your dive planner as being narcotic or not.

Much appreciated.
    Many people assume that narcosis is due exclusively to Nitrogen. EAD calculations have sometimes been based on nitrogen narcosis.I believe that the NOAA diving manual actually states that Oxygen and Nitrogen should be treated as equally narcotic. There is some evidence to suggest that O2 is MORE narcotic than Nitrogen (including greater lipid solubility), but since some of the O2 is actually metabolized, perhaps it is brought back down to the level of Nitrogen.

At the end of the day, what it means is that for EAD calculations to be more conservative...and potentially more accurate, many of us check off that "Oxygen narcotic" box in dive planning software and then utilize the corresponding EAD based on O2 being treated like Nitrogen in terms of its narcotic impact to the breathing mix. I have not clue if O2 is as, more, or less narcotic than nitrogen....but I check the box in multi deco just to get a safer narcotic depth comparison.
    Last edited by manni-yunk; 8th September 2016 at 00:18. Reason: spelling

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Hello all, can anybody tell us what oxygen narcosis feels like? What are the symptoms? Is it similar to nitrogen narcosis? If so, I don't think I've ever felt it, not while breathing PO2's of 1.4 and above. When would it presumably kick in? -Andy

RBW Member jneves is on a distinguished road jneves is on a distinguished road jneves's Avatar
    Se7en/Mk6 Discovery/O2ptima

DIY/Dolphin/Ray

silent running

Hello all, can anybody tell us what oxygen narcosis feels like? What are the symptoms? Is it similar to nitrogen narcosis? If so, I don't think I've ever felt it, not while breathing PO2's of 1.4 and above. When would it presumably kick in? -Andy
    +1

JNeves

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast