+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Wetsuit thickness for Florida Caves?

Re: Wetsuit thickness for Florida Caves?

Quote Originally Posted by rjack  View Original Post
    I'm a little confused at what course you're doing? A unit crossover with trimix at the same time? Or a OC to CCR cave crossover with trimix added?

Who's the instructor? There are plenty of people who are doing minimal deco dives in a wetsuit in FL caves. They are almost always kicking (no scooters), and diving OC nitrox in the main systems that are <32m/110ft deep. Rarely using a stage, so net their deco is 5 maybe 10mins. I don't think I've ever seen a CCR diver in a FL cave using a wetsuit.
    I am doing a unit crossover first. Then a full CCR Cave Course(not OC Cave yet), then doing trimix on the new unit.

I am CCR certified recreationally. In OC, I am fully qualified to dive and teach trimix courses, but not in the caves obviously. Assuming CCR Cave goes without any major issues, we will do trimix before I fly out the following week. Apparently given my current certs, the trimix skills needed will take 1 day.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownAwaits  View Original Post
    I am doing a unit crossover first. Then a full CCR Cave Course(not OC Cave yet), then doing trimix on the new unit.

I am CCR certified recreationally. In OC, I am fully qualified to dive and teach trimix courses, but not in the caves obviously. Assuming CCR Cave goes without any major issues, we will do trimix before I fly out the following week. Apparently given my current certs, the trimix skills needed will take 1 day.

Welcome to Florida. The home of "no holds barred" CCR cave training, where standards are merely a recommendation...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Draker  View Original Post
    Welcome to Florida. The home of "no holds barred" CCR cave training, where standards are merely a recommendation...

I am not familiar with agency standards outside of PADI and TDI.

But the instructor is quite well known and well regarded... I would assume he is not breaking any standards....

I am not familiar with agency standards outside of PADI and TDI.

But the instructor is quite well known and well regarded... I would assume he is not breaking any standards....

Care to provide the instructor's name? Or at least let us know which agency allows CCR cave, CCR Trimix and CCR cave Trimix on a unit that you have no experience on?

TDI requires 50 hours AND 50 dives on the specific CCR as a prerequisite for CCR Trimix and CCR cave.

IANTD requires 20 dives and 35 hours on the unit to be used for CCR cave and 50 hours for CCR Trimix.

Additionally as I believe at least 4 dives are required for CCR TRIMIX, I find it hard to believe you could complete the required program in one day.

Having said all this, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Draker  View Original Post
    Care to provide the instructor's name? Or at least let us know which agency allows CCR cave, CCR Trimix and CCR cave Trimix on a unit that you have no experience on?

TDI requires 50 hours AND 50 dives on the specific CCR as a prerequisite for CCR Trimix and CCR cave.

IANTD requires 20 dives and 35 hours on the unit to be used for CCR cave and 50 hours for CCR Trimix.

Additionally as I believe at least 4 dives are required for CCR TRIMIX, I find it hard to believe you could complete the required program in one day.

Having said all this, good luck!

It is IANTD, the instructor I will leave unnamed but I will definitely ask about the trimix part.

Are they a prerequisite or certification requirement? There is an IANTD IT around my workplace who could verify dives and hours logged if they are certification requirements.

Thanks for the info. I will definitely look into it.

It is IANTD, the instructor I will leave unnamed but I will definitely ask about the trimix part.

Are they a prerequisite or certification requirement? There is an IANTD IT around my workplace who could verify dives and hours logged if they are certification requirements.

Thanks for the info. I will definitely look into it.

These are prerequisites required for entry into the course.

If you are still looking for help or advice, seek out an instructor who will be honest with you, require the appropriate exposure protection and equipment applicable for the dives to be conducted AND follows the standards set forth by their training agency.

The things you have mentioned in this thread scare the hell out of me, but as I said earlier, this is par for the course down here.

If you'd like a copy of the standards for any of the courses you are signed up to take, feel free to send me a PM.

Additionally, try reaching out to the manufacturer of the unit you are crossing over to and see what their thoughts are on this matter.

RBW Member tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione's Avatar
    Kiss Spirit Lte

Azimuth, KISS CLASSIC,KISS GEM

I am not even going to touch the course scheduling issues but on the original question I will confess that I prefer to take courses in a wetsuit when appropriate (I have a double bladder wing) because dealing with a drysuit while learning a new unit just adds complications. I was fine in the Florida Caves with a 5mm and a hood but I confess to bearing a resemblance to a small Orca when suited up so maybe it is a question of bodyfat. That being said if you plan to be diving Trimix you are going to need those drysuit skills eventually and it wouldn't hurt to learn it once the right way. I really think it is personal preference unless you are doing 1/2 hour hangs or get chilled easily.

Thinker n Tinkerer Sparedone is an unknown quantity at this point Sparedone's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz

Bp240/bmr500, BG174

Quote Originally Posted by tcascione  View Original Post
    I am not even going to touch the course scheduling issues but on the original question I will confess that I prefer to take courses in a wetsuit when appropriate (I have a double bladder wing) because dealing with a drysuit while learning a new unit just adds complications. I was fine in the Florida Caves with a 5mm and a hood but I confess to bearing a resemblance to a small Orca when suited up so maybe it is a question of bodyfat. That being said if you plan to be diving Trimix you are going to need those drysuit skills eventually and it wouldn't hurt to learn it once the right way. I really think it is personal preference unless you are doing 1/2 hour hangs or get chilled easily.
    It's you orca types that have me looking like a wimp when I'm the first guy back into a dry suit in the fall!

Excellent point regarding task loading regarding the added drysuit challenges...
    Though a goodyear blimped student at the top of the ballroom would be an added geological feature to enjoy. Or is that the hindenburg I'm thinking of?

RBW Member jamproof is an unknown quantity at this point jamproof's Avatar

Maybe you want to contact Steve Gamble at gamblescuba and see if he can do something for you. He is the expert for drysuits in cave country. I have also seen him diving a neoprene drysuit, which had latex seals on the ankles instead of boots. I guess that's as close to diving a wetsuit as possible and you can dive your normal wet booties and fins.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk

RBW Member tbone1004 is an unknown quantity at this point tbone1004's Avatar
    Greenville, South Carolina, United States

I dive a 5mm with hooded vest when not dry and while I am perfectly capable of doing 2+ hour dives in that configuration, it isn't smart. The cumulative heat loss will be very bad over the course of the week of training. You won't have it as bad as on OC due to the CCR, but it is still going to be quite bad. Ginnie is one of the only caves that is 72, Peacock is 70, JB is 68, and you can feel it. Not wise to do that much training in that little exposure protection imho unless you have active heating under the wetsuit. It is very rare indeed to see people doing decompression length cave dives in wetsuits for that reason. I completed 3 days of fairly big cave dives on Monday and I am still recovering thermally from those dives. Total was about 500 minutes of bottom time over 3 days and I am still feeling it and will be for another 2 days or so. Not something I would even consider if doing a 0-hero cave course due to the amount of exposure you will see, but that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by tbone1004; 17th August 2016 at 16:51.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast