+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Industrial Oxygen - to medical grade

RBW Member manni-yunk is an unknown quantity at this point manni-yunk's Avatar

Re: Industrial Oxygen - to medical grade

Quote Originally Posted by 4ster  View Original Post
    Do you have "Aviator's grade" in Australia? If so that would cover the "fit for human breathing gas" problem. I would think they would not be abandoning the aviation market as well.

Here in the US some gas suppliers policy is that you have to have a prescription from a physician to buy medical grade. It is treated like it is a drug. It takes some talking to get around that. It's easier to get aviation grade. For some reason they don't ask me for my pilot's license.

Ive always heard this and read about it - but Ive been through 3 different gas suppliers, still have active accounts at 2, and no one has ever asked me for a prescription.

I dont buy medical grade any more. I was using Med grade, then switched to "Divers grade" as sold by Praxair....and now I use "GMP" O2 and GMP He.

RBW Member hamishmorrison is an unknown quantity at this point hamishmorrison's Avatar
    JJ DiveCAN

Currently paying Air Liquide £34.60 per J for Diving Oxygen here in the UK. Never bought or considered anything else. Is this not available in the rest of the world? If not seems very strange.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by hamishmorrison  View Original Post
    Currently paying Air Liquide £34.60 per J for Diving Oxygen here in the UK. Never bought or considered anything else. Is this not available in the rest of the world? If not seems very strange.

There is no universal standard for "diving oxygen" its a made up distinction by individual suppliers. Hence some people use medical, aviators or industrial depending on what their supplier is willing to sell them. These latter 3 grades have gas industry-wide definitions.

They are all the same O2, made the same way. The only difference is cylinder handling and paperwork - its the paperwork/liability which is critical for people reselling the gas in some manner.

RBW Member hamishmorrison is an unknown quantity at this point hamishmorrison's Avatar
    JJ DiveCAN

Quote Originally Posted by rjack  View Original Post
    There is no universal standard for "diving oxygen" its a made up distinction by individual suppliers. Hence some people use medical, aviators or industrial depending on what their supplier is willing to sell them. These latter 3 grades have gas industry-wide definitions.

They are all the same O2, made the same way. The only difference is cylinder handling and paperwork - its the paperwork/liability which is critical for people reselling the gas in some manner.
    I can't argue with the above but I'd be most surprised if anyone here in the UK, individual or shop uses anything other than Diving Grade O2 for diving.

Direct cut from their website:

Air Liquide caters for the recreational and technical dive users across the UK, supplying all the gases needed for your diving operation. All of our diving gases are filled using dedicated cylinders which are then analysed to Air Liquide’s rigorous quality control standards. The following diving gases are available to the recreational and technical market:

High purity Oxygen
    High purity Helium
    Argon for dive suit inflation
    Available in individual cylinders
    Last edited by hamishmorrison; 4th August 2016 at 20:21.

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Quote Originally Posted by rjack  View Original Post

And... aviators grade supposedly has less moister content than the other 2. The FOB on my field charges $50 to fill and E cylinder, we boost our own off a K cylinder (welding supply shop off the field) for $50/ K cylinder. The K cylinder lasts us 6 months, with constant boosting and using a pulse oximeter (not applicable to diving) in the plane. I also boost by diving O2 tanks off the same system and am just fine (despite what my wife tells everyone)

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Quote Originally Posted by whynot?  View Original Post
    And... aviators grade supposedly has less moister content than the other
    Actually...

The *specification* for aviators grade does indeed call out lower moisture content. Reason is actually pretty understandable once explained. High altitude aircraft will often cruise where the ambient temperature is -40 C and lower. Pressurized aircraft will sometimes store the gaseous oxygen tanks outside the pressure vessel in that very low temperature. When the O2 enters the first stage, it's already almost as cold as what passes for the heart in a major corporation CEO. Expansion thru the first stage makes it even colder. Kind of like the problems ice divers have to guard against but on steroids, hence the reason for a REALLY low dew point spec.

The reality is, though, that any major gas supplier is filling all his bottles from the same tap and it all (from reputable suppliers) far surpasses the aviator spec.

I used to buy medical grade but switched to aviator's because it actually costs less and the song and dance re 'prescription' is eliminated. YMMV.

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

Quote Originally Posted by whynot?  View Original Post
    And... aviators grade supposedly has less moister content than the other 2. The FOB on my field charges $50 to fill and E cylinder, we boost our own off a K cylinder (welding supply shop off the field) for $50/ K cylinder. The K cylinder lasts us 6 months, with constant boosting and using a pulse oximeter (not applicable to diving) in the plane. I also boost by diving O2 tanks off the same system and am just fine (despite what my wife tells everyone)
    is not go on price = quailty ,

As the gas out fits will charge what ever the feek they can . 10000l j . iv seen cost
    like £8 and the same gas ie 5 9s sold at over 100+ uk pounds , shisters the lot ,
    Last edited by Gobfish1; 4th August 2016 at 23:00.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by hamishmorrison  View Original Post
    I can't argue with the above but I'd be most surprised if anyone here in the UK, individual or shop uses anything other than Diving Grade O2 for diving.

Only a few suppliers in the US market "diving grade".

Basically every supplier, welding shop, whatever sells industrial, most sell medical in some manner but often have crazy rules about getting prescriptions from a Dr. Fewer places sell aviators.

"Diving grade" is a rare product here, although high purity has a definition here and I could get that by request if I wanted. It would still be the same gas sold as industrial though. The fill would just have paperwork associated with its filling. And the cylinder may or may not have been treated slightly differently. For instance at my supplier, industrial O2 and He cylinders are only vacuumed once before refilling. Medical and various high purity, ultra-high, and laboratory grades are vacuumed twice and often have cylinder specific post-filling confirmation analysis.

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

FYI, aviation grade is available in NZ and it comes in 248 bar J cylinders.

RBW Member RZEP17 will become famous soon enough RZEP17 will become famous soon enough RZEP17 will become famous soon enough RZEP17 will become famous soon enough RZEP17's Avatar

I have been using welding/industrial oxygen for years without any problems. It is just easier for me to get it. I bring my oxygen tank to work and fill it through the whip.

Tomek

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast