+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Night dive, o2 ear tips?

Thinker n Tinkerer Sparedone is an unknown quantity at this point Sparedone's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz

Bp240/bmr500, BG174

Night dive, o2 ear tips?

Looking for tips to flush high fo2 buildup from my ears after diving my oxygen rebreather?

Back story:
    Did a 96 minute night dive at 20 feet. By 2am I was awoken by quite a bad squeeze. Equalized fine but 12 hours later my ears still aren't quite right. I love night diving but getting bit by middle ear oxygen absorption syndrome during the night isn't pleasant.

Beyond staying up to equalize any tricks to getting a night's sleep?

All ears,
    Cameron

Cognitive surrender TopLeft is an unknown quantity at this point TopLeft's Avatar
    Evolution+

Evolution

Re: Night dive, o2 ear tips?

Can't respond with any history on an oxygen rebreather. However since my last stop and/or subsequent shallow stop is with the loop flushed with O2, I can relate somewhat.

What has settled in a routine for me is frequent water drinking in small amounts. The swallowing helps me equalize without thinking about it while rehydrating. In addition, hourly "equalizing" for the remained of the day has so far prevented any issues during the night.

Best of luck, you'll probably get experienced input from those in your situation.

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Once you come out of the water after diving keep clearing your ears on the surface every 15 or 20 minnutes for the next few hours. This helps me too.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

Thinker n Tinkerer Sparedone is an unknown quantity at this point Sparedone's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz

Bp240/bmr500, BG174

Thanks guys. Sounds reasonable! I'll give it a try this week. Post dive manual dill flushes for my eustachian tubes, so much to learn.

Thanks again for some ideas to speed up the process so I can get some sleep.

Regards,
    Cameron

ccr apprentice Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Meg 2.7/SW, Copis Meg, SK

Drink a lot of water or tea before going to bed: you get up during the night, so you can clear your ears. I know the syndrome.

RBW Member udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn's Avatar
    prism,larv/tubx,leba54,dolphin

mk15,lar vII, ray

otu clocks are there for all kinds of reasons... just like half times for nitrogen ....96 mins at 1.6 ?

PRISM Topaz

Bp240/bmr500, BG174

Quote Originally Posted by Philippe GERIN  View Original Post
    Drink a lot of water or tea before going to bed: you get up during the night, so you can clear your ears. I know the syndrome.
    Appreciated! Rehydration and a built in alarm clock. Thanks for sharing your experience.

PRISM Topaz

Bp240/bmr500, BG174

Quote Originally Posted by udtabn  View Original Post
    otu clocks are there for all kinds of reasons... just like half times for nitrogen ....96 mins at 1.6 ?
    Are you saying o2 ear is unique to profiles exceeding NOAA recommendations? I've encountered regularly after nearly every o2 breather dive. However, I'm normally not asleep at the time. Hense the thread topic.

And no, it was a multi level dive. With a max ppo2 of 1.55 in fresh water presuming a 100% loop flush instead of the USN recommended procedure.

Any tips on the topic at hand?

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Quote Originally Posted by Sparedone  View Original Post
    Are you saying o2 ear is unique to profiles exceeding NOAA recommendations? I've encountered regularly after nearly every o2 breather dive. However, I'm normally not asleep at the time. Hense the thread topic.
    O2 ear as you call it is not related to profile. It can affect both divers and pilots who breathe high levels of oxygen.

It is a simple metabolic process: Gas with a high FO2 fills your middle ears. O2 is a gas used/ absorbed by the body. As it happens, it causes a lowering of the localized pressure in your middle ear. Eventually it is low enough that you feel it. If you're awake, simply equalize your ears. If asleep, the snap of your ears spontaneously equalizing might wake you up. If it bothers you, simply do as posted above, valsalva every 20 minutes for an hour or two after diving and all's good.

Ken

PRISM Topaz

Bp240/bmr500, BG174

Quote Originally Posted by Skipbreather  View Original Post
    O2 ear as you call it is not related to profile. It can affect both divers and pilots who breathe high levels of oxygen.

It is a simple metabolic process: Gas with a high FO2 fills your middle ears. O2 is a gas used/ absorbed by the body. As it happens, it causes a lowering of the localized pressure in your middle ear. Eventually it is low enough that you feel it. If you're awake, simply equalize your ears. If asleep, the snap of your ears spontaneously equalizing might wake you up. If it bothers you, simply do as posted above, valsalva every 20 minutes for an hour or two after diving and all's good.

Ken
    Thank you for clarifying. I blew an eardrum on a freediving reverse block at 12 and I couldn't dive 5 years as it healed up so I'm cautious.

I'll be more conscious on unprompted equalizing post dive and maybe I'll get some sleep.

Thanks again!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast