+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Still diving Evolution Factory Harness?

RBW Member bl6394 is an unknown quantity at this point bl6394's Avatar
    APD Evolution

Still diving Evolution Factory Harness?

Since my MOD1 class - I've been putting some hours on my Evolution getting ready for MOD2. I'm starting to wonder about how practical the APD factory harness is - for the diving I'm interested in doing.

I'm not a fan of the integrated ditch-able weight pouches that take up a lot of real-estate on the waist. Nor do I like the dainty sewn in offset D rings that would be a pain to modify or replace. I dive cold fresh water in the Midwest - and usually am in a dry-suit with dry-loves. I'm generally not doing recreational dives - and need to carry multiple bailouts (nicely streamlined) and the ditch-able weights are not a valuable feature for me.

This harness is starting to chafe a bit...

I'm wondering how many people with Evolutions are still diving with the standard harness - or have you been driven to replaced the factory harness with a BPW - or some other solution?

It looks like modifying a BP to allow access to the valves is one issue I'd encounter. Keeping the over the shoulder counter-lung nicely attached to the harness would be another problem to solve. For folks that have gone down this road, any wisdom you'd like to share would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bjorn

RBW Member Bryan T is an unknown quantity at this point Bryan T's Avatar

Re: Still diving Evolution Factory Harness?

Hey Bjorn

I still use mine. I switched out for a bit and went back to it. The beaver tail helps and side mount bungies. I can send you some picks and other recommendations if you wish. Just PM me and we can exchange Emails. I just moved from Canada to Florida so I'm used to diving cold water tech set ups

RBW Member bl6394 is an unknown quantity at this point bl6394's Avatar
    APD Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan T  View Original Post
    Hey Bjorn

I still use mine. I switched out for a bit and went back to it. The beaver tail helps and side mount bungies. I can send you some picks and other recommendations if you wish. Just PM me and we can exchange Emails. I just moved from Canada to Florida so I'm used to diving cold water tech set ups
    Thanks! Yeah - I've added a buttplate and bungees - and it is a LOT better. But I'm always looking to improve my kit / get the most out of it.

Your experience was echoed by my MOD1 instructor. He sees people modding the heck out of it - before coming back to a factory config.

I'm starting to get a roving eye... I bought the Evolution because I have lots support here in St. Louis for it (The store where I teach is a dealer and there are multiple instructors here for it.) But the Meg seems like really nice unit too. I plan to put a few more years / few 100 hours on the Evolution, but after that I might do a crossover to another unit.

I'll shoot you my email via PM. I do appreciate any advice you have about optimizing the Evolution's config.

RBW Member jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner's Avatar
    APD Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by bl6394  View Original Post
    Since my MOD1 class - I've been putting some hours on my Evolution getting ready for MOD2. I'm starting to wonder about how practical the APD factory harness is - for the diving I'm interested in doing.

I'm not a fan of the integrated ditch-able weight pouches that take up a lot of real-estate on the waist. Nor do I like the dainty sewn in offset D rings that would be a pain to modify or replace. I dive cold fresh water in the Midwest - and usually am in a dry-suit with dry-loves. I'm generally not doing recreational dives - and need to carry multiple bailouts (nicely streamlined) and the ditch-able weights are not a valuable feature for me.

This harness is starting to chafe a bit...

I'm wondering how many people with Evolutions are still diving with the standard harness - or have you been driven to replaced the factory harness with a BPW - or some other solution?

It looks like modifying a BP to allow access to the valves is one issue I'd encounter. Keeping the over the shoulder counter-lung nicely attached to the harness would be another problem to solve. For folks that have gone down this road, any wisdom you'd like to share would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bjorn
    Hi Bjorn,
    I currently dive the factory BMCL harness and that was fine for the Mod2. For the FMCL one though, I loathed it and replaced it with a steel backplate and harness (with extension "break"). The bits I used have been described on here before but basically, it was an OMS plate (all I had spare), standard 2" webbing, 2 x Kent Tooling counterlung d-rings and 2 x Kent Tooling counterlung tie down slides plus some of the usual hardware like d-rings, slides and buckle. To attach the stage's rear clips in a better position and to make carrying it all more comfortable, I bought a Narked@90 stand and attached 2 x Kent Tooling backplate rings to the bottom to provide a solid ring to clip onto. The counterlungs had been modified by Aquatec UK to make them removable (to help with cleaning) and whilst they did that, I asked them to cut the webbing band on the back that is used to attach them to the harness and replace it with a velcro version (other people have simply not used that loop with a one piece harness). Then by using a cut-down length of 1" webbing and the 1" pinch clip male fittings (from an old APD crotch strap), I could clip down the bottom of the counterlung onto the waistband of the harness. The whole thing made attaching stages very easy, as the rings never move at all and the stand ensured that the lower clips were pulled back, drawing the stage in tightly. As for valve access, it is easy with the standard wing - nothing gets in the way. One problem you can have with a steel plate is that the wing gets squashed between the plate and the yellow box but with my stand and a pair of Kent Tooling's backplate stabilising blocks, there was enough room for me and my yellow box hasn't been damaged at all. If you want a bigger wing though, Dive Rite's CCR wing fits nicely on the setup as described above though you will ideally need to leave the bungee on it or when the wing is empty, it will float around near the valves and could get in the way in an emergency.

+ Reply to Thread