+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Where did all the homebuilders go?

RBW Member yorkie_chris is an unknown quantity at this point yorkie_chris's Avatar

Re: Where did all the homebuilders go?

Still here.
    Really a latecomer to home building but didn't want a classic inspo as I didn't like the tupperware canister, so I built my own MCCR.

No innovation to speak of. I copied a meg can and skipbreathers radial scrubber and stuck an inspo loop and some bob scullion type BMCL's on it, with some shearwater electronics.

Personally find it quite amusing the reactions you get from the "need proper qualifications to scratch your own arse" types.

Hasn't been a problem yet but some silly upstart type outfits I hear do ask to see cert cards, I'll probably just print my own out.

RBW Member yorkie_chris is an unknown quantity at this point yorkie_chris's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Field  View Original Post
    As such Homebuilders have "left the building" with middle finger aloft to the un-modded wasteland of Facebook and are wallowing merrily in obscurity.
    Quote from a bloke on north sea divers group on FB
    " This is an adventure sport not a dictatorship whatever the agencies think."

When I used to climb I never had any cockwomble ask me for a cert card when I wanted to buy a longer bit of rope.

Roland Somodi rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver's Avatar
    Homebuilt(s)

Inspiration Classic

To answer the first question. I'm still here, just finished my 2nd rebreather and working on the 3rd one. I also ran into the same problem like others about dive centers not wanting people with homebuilds. If you really think about it, 98% of the rebs available on the market today were born in somebody's garage. Not too many mfg started by investing hundreds of thousand euors/dollars into CNC, laser/water jet cutting/electornics design-software development to make a rebreather they hoped to sell in large amounts. I ended up making myself a c-card saying the follwing" The person who is smart enough to design a rebreather, is certainly smart enough to dive it". You can't really argue with this statement. I 'm happy to be stoned for the above written.

Very respectfully

Roland Somodi
    Last edited by rolanddiver; 6th October 2016 at 18:34.
    Very Respectfully

Roland Somodi

sent from my Commodore 64 using Wizard of War....

Dive different. cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys's Avatar
    MK15.5, MK15, LARV

KISS Classic

I'm still here, too. My homebuilding theme has been coming up with things to keep my mk15 going and the desire to understand the engineering behind rebreather components in general. I'm still diving the rebreather controller/deco computer I made a while back, described in an old thread. It was based on a Netduino mini embedded in a board I came up with. Since no Netduino mini 2 with an updated processor was forthcoming, I decided to make one on my own (pic below). I haven't used it in a build underwater yet as the original computer still works fine.

20131224_184224_resized

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by cys  View Original Post
    I'm still here, too. My homebuilding theme has been coming up with things to keep my mk15 going and the desire to understand the engineering behind rebreather components in general. I'm still diving the rebreather controller/deco computer I made a while back, described in an old thread. It was based on a Netduino mini embedded in a board I came up with. Since no Netduino mini 2 with an updated processor was forthcoming, I decided to make one on my own (pic below). I haven't used it in a build underwater yet as the original computer still works fine.

20131224_184224_resized

This is the problem for me

When you could build a CCR out of a Coffie tin and some plumbing bits from B&Q I was thinking it was possable. But thease days its all about the electronics.

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by yorkie_chris  View Original Post
    Quote from a bloke on north sea divers group on FB
    " This is an adventure sport not a dictatorship whatever the agencies think."

When I used to climb I never had any cockwomble ask me for a cert card when I wanted to buy a longer bit of rope.
    I couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post

When you could build a CCR out of a Coffie tin and some plumbing bits from B&Q I was thinking it was possable. But thease days its all about the electronics.
    ECCR perhaps, MCCR- no, still super easy, for everything else there is Narked @ 90 to help

I am an "assembler" rather than a home builder (ok, I made my own lungs but that's sort-of my trade so doesn't count)

My issue is/was there doesn't seem to be an actual usable MCCR on the market so I took Inspiration plumbing (FWIW I like the tupperware nature of it!) an Alibox, my own BMCL's, a shearwater and needle valve and threw them together in the best was possible.

Its "Home built" and no agency of manufacturer is responsible for it but its all off-the-shelf, superior to what's on the market (IMVHO) and was super-cheap, in-the-water for £1200... I really don't get spending £10,000 on a unit + crossover but some people seem to do it annually when the next Emperors New Clothes are released!

Its the Diving that is important/fun, the unit is just SCUBA to get you there, too many people for whom the unit itself is the focus of their hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post

Nah don't agree at all.

My unit was all mechanical building/sewing etc and I bought a shearwater for £350.

15 year ago that would have been a mega-budget thing to buy or you would have had to use mark munro DPM style displays which for all their lovely simplicity don't do trimix deco calcs for you.

So IMHO the electronic side of things has never been more accessible to the homebuilder.

RBW Member jale is on a distinguished road jale is on a distinguished road jale's Avatar
    Sidekick, Joki, Flex, HH, C96

Hi
    I don't understand why FB is becoming more popular as information in FB is quickly gone and lost unlike forum where you can "archive"...but maybe I am wrong as I don't use FB
    Jale

Quote Originally Posted by jale  View Original Post
    Hi
    I don't understand why FB is becoming more popular as information in FB is quickly gone and lost unlike forum where you can "archive"...but maybe I am wrong as I don't use FB
    Jale
    Yes that is a big shame, there is loads of technical info on here from years ago that you would not have a hope in hell finding on FB.

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by jale  View Original Post
    Hi
    Jale
    Unmoderated
    No (less) Agency Shills

Information isn't hard to search within groups, just save or tag anything you find interesting, simple.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast