+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Full Face Mask considerations?

Jared 'Jazzy' Simcox jared.simcox is an unknown quantity at this point jared.simcox's Avatar
    Inspo, HH Classic lid, Rev C.

Full Face Mask considerations?

Hi All,

Considering adding a FFM to my unit, but don't know anyone else who dives CC with one.

Can anyone share experience on this? Surely C02 buildup is an additional concern with the added dead space on the FFM but is this a deal breaker?

Thanks in advance.

Jared

RBW Member EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD's Avatar
    rEvo III rMS

rEvo is all you need!!!!

Re: Full Face Mask considerations?

Co2: use a mouthpiece
    I have used the KM Mod 1, liked the pod system .
    Used the Nova R and liked the beter view and the beter comfort . Back to normal goggles because of les fumbling around. If I would go back to a FFM it would be the Nova again.

Greetings,
    David

Sent by my rEvo scrubber using a shearwater Nerd

for a world of water OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity's Avatar
    homebuild/custom

I have used a modified AGA and the Nova R. Downside of NOVA is the exhaust flapper. When you lift your head up, it is prone to vent gas.

RBW Member woofy is an unknown quantity at this point woofy's Avatar
    jjccr

Quote Originally Posted by jared.simcox  View Original Post
    Hi All,

Considering adding a FFM to my unit, but don't know anyone else who dives CC with one.

Can anyone share experience on this? Surely C02 buildup is an additional concern with the added dead space on the FFM but is this a deal breaker?

Thanks in advance.

Jared
    i have used a nova mask for a few years and find it very comfortable to use its worth the money you may have to modify your hud holder so you can still see it clearly
    Last edited by woofy; 13th June 2016 at 17:31.

RBW Member Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll's Avatar
    Waiting for my Next

Megalodon 2.7

Quote Originally Posted by jared.simcox  View Original Post
    Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

Jared
    Hi,

I have a Nova FFM with P-ported TX 100 Reg, and 2 adapters for Shrimp BOV, pm me if your interested, also have the Manual and Hard case for FFM plus HUD extension
    Last edited by Clive O' Driscoll; 13th June 2016 at 23:23.

Muddiver Muddiver is an unknown quantity at this point Muddiver's Avatar
    Poseidon Cis Lunar 7

I'm a Kerby Morgan guy. Mainly because you can remove the pod and switch the an independent bailout without having to remove the mask. All other masks that I know about, you have to remove the mask and go to a spare scuba mask when you bailout.

Also, it has a mouth peace inside the mask from the pod which reduces the dead space by probably 80%. I'm not aware of any other full face mask with a mouth piece. They are all designed for high flow scuba or surface supplied diving that flushes the mask out during the dive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RBW Member EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD's Avatar
    rEvo III rMS

rEvo is all you need!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Muddiver  View Original Post
    I'm a Kerby Morgan guy. Mainly because you can remove the pod and switch the an independent bailout without having to remove the mask. All other masks that I know about, you have to remove the mask and go to a spare scuba mask when you bailout.

Also, it has a mouth peace inside the mask from the pod which reduces the dead space by probably 80%. I'm not aware of any other full face mask with a mouth piece. They are all designed for high flow scuba or surface supplied diving that flushes the mask out during the dive.

The Nova R also has a mouthpiece and the BO reg is already pluged in the mask, 2 if you want . Also easy to change underwater ( but adapters must be fitted to the regs)

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

The Nova rebreather version solves any CO2 buildup problem by using a mouthpiece on a stalk. Unfortunately this also makes the use of comms virtually impossible, which is one of the biggest safety features of FFM.

I have used a modified AGA that alters the gas path so that only the oral nasal cup is involved. This space is too small to worry about CO2 buildup as long as you remember to not overwork yourself. It has wireless OTS Buddy Phone comms in it. I recently switched to a Guardian FFM but have not yet altered the gas path. My AGA setup with Divematics BOV and Poseidon XStream second stage is available for sale. I'm just not using the FFM as much these days due to advanced age. That's my age, not the mask's. Contact me if you're interested.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

RBW Member osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris's Avatar
    HH INSPO HYBRIB BASTARDISED MK

KISS/IDA64/72/60/Mk15/Cobra

been using a Nova with Golem Bov (both versions) for around 10 years now. I've tried a lot of different FFMs before and after and including AGA, Scubapro and the similar italian models. Nova was best by far and with the three P-Ports able to plug in bailout regs as well.
    However, I've never needed to do that. With Shrimp, I can bail out to off board reg pretty quickly and I've tested this many times, including in anger a couple of times.

I am very happy with the Nova / Shrimp combo and wouldn't even think about changing to another FFM.

Muddiver Muddiver is an unknown quantity at this point Muddiver's Avatar
    Poseidon Cis Lunar 7

Full Face Mask considerations?

Quote Originally Posted by EngelenD  View Original Post
    The Nova R also has a mouthpiece and the BO reg is already pluged in the mask, 2 if you want . Also easy to change underwater ( but adapters must be fitted to the regs)

So, if you are not a unified team diver, and your dive buddy is diving something other than a Nova. They are SOL if they have a problem and need to buddy breath off one of your gas sources because they all have the Nova adapters attached to them?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast