Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Fascinating lecture on Decompression by Dr. Simon Mitchell

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

Re: Fascinating lecture on Decompression by Dr. Simon Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by rossh  View Original Post
    Stay real??

His actual profile was a 60/70.... (because of the inbuilt way his computer rounds up longer). i.e. exactly following the newer "more efficient" (??) planning method recommended by Dr. Simon Mitchell.

The go slower theory was addressed in the other thread - it would have made for 13 continuous minutes of elevated supersaturation and uninterrupted tissue bubble growth - double the time - that's not an improvement.

Remember this diver had a DCS develop in the water, in the ascent. The contributing factors are rather limited.

This discussion is now spread other three threads here here, here. The suggested alternate theories have been discussed / shown to be n/a, in my opinion.

Fast tissues do matter, deeper stop are beneficial, and essential in some cases.

This injury and method is not new - pioneer divers learned this lesson before. It seems the new experts have forgotten or don't know about the past, so they / we are destined to repeat it.

Unfortunately there will be more (avoidable) Don Six type incidents to come....

Steve, his actual dive profile is in the other thread.
    ok i just had wrote a more detailed answer but ipad crashed..
    so to sum it up:
    bullshit again ross..

That dive does NOT follow Simons suggestions!
    and
    the relatively shallow stop might have contributed to the incident but no one is to tell that this was the ONLY cause (except the allknowingly internet decompression expert professor Ross!)

Fake news! Nothing to see here..

who wants to dig deeper?.. more detailed arguments in other threads..

So Cal Tech Diver aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie's Avatar
    Meg

Inspo (when it works)

Hmm.. I wonder where this thread is going to go?

DSIx, sorry to hear about the hit, I know how little fun that can be. Get well soon!
    Andrew Ainslie

Buhlmann = Bend and Mend
    VPM/RGBM = Mend and Bend
    GF 35-50/70-85 = Mend and Mend

New Member Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell's Avatar

Ross exhibits a profound level of ignorance of the inference one can (or canít) draw from a single case of DCS. Indeed, it is disingenuous in the extreme to take a single case of DCS and conclude that the approach to decompression utilized is, ipso facto, wrong for the wider community. It seems that Ross's latest strategy will be to scrutinize on as many cases of DCS occurring with decompressions that de-emphasise deep stops as he can find, and claim that this proves deep stops are important. We could just as easily take every case of DCS occurring when VPM or RGBM is used (and I know of many) and make similar claims in the opposite direction. All completely pointless.

Anyone with a modicum of knowledge about the scientific process will understand that this is why we do properly controlled comparative studies. When deep stops gained popularity on the back of exactly the sort of logic Ross is spruiking here, we had no such studies. But now we do. The results of all them to date send a clear signal that bubble models over-emphasise deep stops. This clearly illustrates the potential folly of what Ross is doing here.

Having said all that, I really cannot tell you how to decompress from extremely deep dives like Donís. We have few relevant data from dives of that depth. I certainly cannot tell you (and nor can Ross) whether adding deeper stops than Don did would add safety, or alternatively create an even greater hazard, if you tested the strategy in a large group of divers. I canít tell you whether or not this discussion is completely irrelevant because Donís case could be attributed to some other influence operant in his physiology on the day.

Contrary to the way Ross has portrayed my ďadviceĒ it has always been to cautiously back away from deep stops as prescribed by bubble models. And years ago on this forum I predicted exactly what is happening here: that there would be attempts to blame me for episodes of DCS occurring if divers did not do stops as deep as Ross thinks they should be. You can judge for yourselves how cynical that is.
    Finally, Don, sorry to hear about your event. Hope your recovery is going well.

Simon M

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4