+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Soon to be rebreather diver/instructor

RBW Member Peg-leg is an unknown quantity at this point Peg-leg's Avatar
    none

Soon to be rebreather diver/instructor

Hey guys!

First off thanks for the wealth of information provided. This is a great community and i look forward to learning from you all.

I have been diving since i was 10 but just got certified last year and decided to go through all the way to MSDT. I love that i get paid (even though its barely anything) to go diving. I have over 400 dives and student count is always rising.

I have been considering going through a program to be a rebreather instructor. Hawaii Scuba University offers a program that is paid for with my GI Bill and it includes my own rebreather. They offer it for the poseidon se7en and the Hollis Prism 2. I am on the fence about which one to go with as they both have their pros and cons but i am leaning more towards the P2 for its manual control abilities, and thus, a better machine to get into tech diving with.

I'll begin my training around September if i decide to go through with it. Otherwise it will be many years before i can afford my own rebreather out of pocket. In the meantime i will continue to lurk the forums and learn all i can about this exciting adventure!

Oh and i want to get into diving rebreathers to dive deeper and longer and up my underwater photography game as well. I wanna go as deep as i can one day and see things few people on this planet have seen in person.

Thanks for any and all advice and i hope to make some lifelong dive buddies along the way.

Mahalo,
    Tommy

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Re: Soon to be rebreather diver/instructor

Hi Tommy,

Nice to meet you here on RBW

Best regards,
    Chett. L

RBW Member ckrueger is an unknown quantity at this point ckrueger's Avatar
    rEvo Micro 3 w/RMS & NERD

Prism 2 w/NERD

I am obviously biased, but I love my Prism. Good luck on your pursuit. Both are good units and i am sure you will get lots of info from the forum.

none

Quote Originally Posted by ckrueger  View Original Post
    I am obviously biased, but I love my Prism. Good luck on your pursuit. Both are good units and i am sure you will get lots of info from the forum.
    what made you choose the prism 2? and what, if anything, do you dislike about it?

New Member Heliox is an unknown quantity at this point Heliox's Avatar
    CCR Liberty

Prism Topaz, Inspo, P2

Welcome to RBW. -Tom

RBW Member divemedic85 is an unknown quantity at this point divemedic85's Avatar
    rEvo3 Mini

Welcome to the gang, be careful with that GI Bill, you will use it all up and than when the time comes where you find yourself wanting a degree it's a whole new ball game.

RBW Member Nubium is an unknown quantity at this point Nubium's Avatar
    Liberty

Dolphin,Megalodon,rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Peg-leg  View Original Post
    Hey guys!

First off thanks for the wealth of information provided. This is a great community and i look forward to learning from you all.

I have been diving since i was 10 but just got certified last year and decided to go through all the way to MSDT. I love that i get paid (even though its barely anything) to go diving. I have over 400 dives and student count is always rising.

I have been considering going through a program to be a rebreather instructor. Hawaii Scuba University offers a program that is paid for with my GI Bill and it includes my own rebreather. They offer it for the poseidon se7en and the Hollis Prism 2. I am on the fence about which one to go with as they both have their pros and cons but i am leaning more towards the P2 for its manual control abilities, and thus, a better machine to get into tech diving with.

I'll begin my training around September if i decide to go through with it. Otherwise it will be many years before i can afford my own rebreather out of pocket. In the meantime i will continue to lurk the forums and learn all i can about this exciting adventure!

Oh and i want to get into diving rebreathers to dive deeper and longer and up my underwater photography game as well. I wanna go as deep as i can one day and see things few people on this planet have seen in person.

Thanks for any and all advice and i hope to make some lifelong dive buddies along the way.

Mahalo,
    Tommy
    Hi Tommy,
    I became a Padi instructor pretty quick, from OW to MSDT in 12 months, as did you by the sounds of it. I have had to slow right down with wanting to become a CCR instructors as it is a totally different ball game, I had to relearn the way I take a big lesson in humility. that said have fun and be safe.

RBW Member das will become famous soon enough das will become famous soon enough das will become famous soon enough das will become famous soon enough das's Avatar

Tommy,

I read your post and I was profoundly disturbed on several levels.

First your decision making process. A rebreather is a tool to further your diving. Rebreathers do three things very well, deep, long and photo. Choosing a rebreather due to some GI Bill considerations seems naive. I make no judgements on the rebreathers you listed, just why you narrowed it down to those.

Second, your goal to become a zero to hero rebreather instructor is just plain silly. First no responsible manufacturer is going to allow it. The minimum hours on a unit as a diver is 100. After which you should realize that "you don't know what you don't know" and need to spend more time on the unit before you try to teach others. Failure to realize this makes you a danger to yourself and others.

Get a rebreather. Go dive it in a variety of environments and locations. Meet other rebreather divers with different units. Have fun. Later if you think you want to teach then consider it, not before.

Regard,
    DAS

RBW Member udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn's Avatar
    prism,larv/tubx,leba54,dolphin

mk15,lar vII, ray

Quote Originally Posted by das  View Original Post
    Tommy,

First your decision making process. A rebreather is a tool to further your diving. Rebreathers do three things very well, deep, long and photo. Choosing a rebreather due to some GI Bill considerations seems naive. I make no judgements on the rebreathers you listed, just why you narrowed it down to those.

Second, your goal to become a zero to hero rebreather instructor is just plain silly. First no responsible manufacturer is going to allow it. The minimum hours on a unit as a diver is 100. After which you should realize that "you don't know what you don't know" and need to spend more time on the unit before you try to teach others. Failure to realize this makes you a danger to yourself and others.

Get a rebreather. Go dive it in a variety of environments and locations. Meet other rebreather divers with different units. Have fun. Later if you think you want to teach then consider it, not before.

Regard,
    DAS
    i have to say das is right get a unit and dive the hell out of it ... and until you find the more you dive the more you didnt know what you didnt know ......you wont be a good instructor .......and remember you cant rush experience .....just my 2 cents

none

Quote Originally Posted by das  View Original Post
    Tommy,

Regard,
    DAS
    Profoundly disturbed? lol that some serious emotional distraught.

I appreciate the concern but I'm not just doing this on a whim. Yeah sure i wish the school offered more options on the rebreathers but thats what they got so far. I like the prism 2 as a unit to get started on and one day I'll try other rebreathers.

The program must result in a professional level certification in order to qualify to receive GI bill funds, hence going to instructor level. Obviously the program is structured such that all requirements set forth by manufacturers and industry standards are met. I will have 100 dives and 100 hours before i can even turn in my application for instructor. Its just a stepping stone to get into rebreathers and tech diving. From there i will expand my knowledge and experience before i even offer my services as an instructor.

I really enjoy my life, so no plans on getting myself or another person killed. I would like to become an experienced tech diver and this will help me get there. Then maybe one day I'll teach my unit, but for now I'm cool with staying an open circuit instructor.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast